Author
Topic: How important is good centering on notes?  (Read 6529 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« on: October 25, 2007, 03:07:45 pm »

I have always attached extremely high importance to good centering on notes. I would much prefer to have a perfectly centered UNC note with a light counting crease than an off-centre UNC note without any counting creases or other handling marks. After all, collecting is to a large degree an aesthetic hobby.

I have attached a scan showing two UNC notes (please don't pay any attention to the different signatures). Would you prefer the off-centre UNC note at the top without any handling marks whatsoever or the superbly centered UNC note at the bottom with a light counting crease or two?

My personal feeling is that superb original notes with wide even "jumbo" margins have unlimited growth potential relative to choice notes with poor centering, but I've been proved wrong before. What say you?? Enquiring minds want to know ...

{http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3433819/2007/10/25/_100.jpg}

« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 03:14:02 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 03:24:46 pm »

No two ways about it, the second note is definitely more appealing.
The first off centered note stands out only because it is off centered and its margins vary in size
Hey only my humble opinion 8)

FRIEDSQUID

A question I have is ...
Is there any 1954 series prefix where it is difficult to get a well centered note???
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 04:10:07 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
moneycow
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 06:37:53 pm »

Ottawa,
You and I have agreed on this before.  Perfect centering is my number one preference (as anyone whom I've recently purchased notes from can attest) followed by bright vibrant colours, clean appearance and then condition, especially for the 1954 series.
Always seems to be lots of UNC notes available with less than perfect boarders.
As far as growth potential, there may not be a direct relationship.  I would think collectors striving for perfect aesthetics may opt to hold them longer term instead of flipping them for a few extra dollars.

moneycow
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 01:10:38 am »

Yes I will have to agree! There is beautiful notes graded 65up and there is the same note but with precise centering makes your jaw drop down even more. For me I find the centering really catches my eye when seen at a glance. Don't get me wrong, I would be very happy with either note but there is just that much more class or perfection in a well bordered note.

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 04:50:53 pm »

I assume the centering is off making the note look like it was pushed to the upper left corner (But I still want it) ;D

Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 07:00:20 pm »

I personally feel that high grade notes that have been graded by TPG (third-party grading) companies may suffer in value if people continue to pay ever increasing premiums for an UNC-65 over an UNC-64, for an UNC-64 over an UNC-63, etc., and then remove the note from its holder only to discover that it's been overgraded or has been pressed, etc. It may not happen, but I feel that it could happen because there is currently so much variance and inconsistency in grading between the different grading companies and within the individual grading companies.

The following web site (scroll down a bit) is interesting as it delineates numerous interesting examples of notes that have received widely different grades from different TPG companies. Although most of the criticism is aimed at CGA I don't think any of the grading companies are totally immune when it comes to the issue of inconsistency in grading.

http://www.keycurrency.com/badgrade.htm

WOW !!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 07:11:24 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 07:21:59 pm »

So the moral of the story is buy cheap notes, start a TPG company and sell high.
Now why didn't I think of that ???

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 07:47:05 pm »

I understand your points made about a well centered note Ottawa.  I cannot think of any long time collector who would disagree.  However, I think what happens is that we wait for a certain note to be available for purchase, then see one available and may snap it up regardless of how imperfect it might be.  

For example, I bought a Beattie Coyne *A/D a few years ago that was graded by the dealer as UNC.  It would be UNC 60 now but I think I paid book (or more) even though its well centered but the upper margin had orange/reddish band marks in the centre.  Some collectors chided me for purchasing such a note, while others drooled.  The thing is... I' waited and hadn't seen that note for sale so I snapped it up when, perhaps I could have bought one nicer.  I also have some less than perfectly centered 1935's in VF which I'm happy to have to complete my BOC collection.  While I appreciate the 35's they're not truly what I specialize in collecting so they satisfy me.  I doubt I'll be selling them any time soon.  The 1937 issue is in the same boat (not my priority).  I bought 3 less than well centered consecutive UNC 's for such a good price -- I just couldn't refuse.

I think centering is certainly critical in pre-1954 notes, but is much less important as we turn our attention towards the post-1970 issues.  In the early issues where many of the older notes were cut by hand, or where finding a good jumbo border is plain hard to get --then yes, its more relevant than a note poorly centered.  However, most collectors I know are more concerned about the grade of the note than just centering alone.  For me eye appeal is a combination of many factors, and I just can't bear stains, pen marks, edge tears, or pinholes.  As R_P puts it - nice original notes, with nice clean paper quality is more important to me.

I have always thought that there are 2 kinds of collectors: A) those who regard their collection more as an investment portfolio, and B) those who regard their collection more in terms of a prized collection of asthetically pleasing hard to get notes.  Typically type A collector is the one who obsesses over the 60-66 of his UNC's while type B often has a variation of hard to find UNC 60's and mid-grades that have super eye appeal and cover certain corners in terms of completing areas the collector has  been specializing in.   I'm sure that type A collector will do better in selling his collection at a premium (& make a greater profit) than type B... but that's type A's intention whereas type B just collects for the love of the hobby.  

I believe when you get committed to trying to obtain a certain corner of a series, or a set of notes (be it radars, DF's, asterisks, or change-overs) you can over look some imperfections (esp if you are a type B collector).

Login with username, password and session length