Author
Topic: Child's Savings Plan Company  (Read 3033 times)
Ronaldo
« on: January 01, 2008, 05:12:00 pm »

Has anyone any information on the Child's Savings Plan Company, a firm that printed scrip for use by merchants during the depression?  Sort of like Canadian Tire money (given out with purchases) but intended to encourage children to open bank accounts when they had a dollar or more saved up.  I have some notes from a long-defunct store in Coutts, Alberta.  Any leads would be appreciated.  I am trying to research for an article.

Ronaldo
Bob
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 07:28:50 pm »

I sent you a PM.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Ronaldo
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 01:43:17 pm »

Thanks Bob

I have seen that, courtesy of the CNA Librarian.  Any idea how I can contact Don Stewart?  Are you out there, Don?  Did you get any further in your inquiries?  I am trying to go a little further.  What/when/where was the company that initiated the program?  How broadly were these scrip notes issued?  I.E. Alberta only, etc.  And when?  There seems to be very little info out there.  The scrip notes themselves are  as to intention and use.

I have contacted Coutts, Alta and the store is long gone and all but forgotten.  The Municipal Clerk-Administrator kindly sent out my request for information in the Village Newsletter.  Nobody remembers the scrip but one resident remembered when the store was torn down an found the old ledgers.

Login with username, password and session length