Author
Topic: BCS - Banknote Certification Service  (Read 37964 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:59 pm »

As a serious banknote collector, I would like to state that BCS is by far the most reliable grading service for Canadian Banknotes.

I have personally seen Steve Bell work along side several collectors in order to ensure that his grading is accurate for each Bank note series (ie; Chartered/Journey).

I would like all of the collectors on the forums to feel confident that BCS will provide a prompt, professional and reliable service. I will continue to use BCS for my primary grading service for my Canadian Bank Notes.

I agree entirely. Canadian notes should be graded and priced according to Canadian grading standards.

Unfortunately, real Canadian grading standards (i.e., Charlton and BCS) are so tight relative to American standards that many people are removing notes from BCS holders and resubmitting them to PMG and PCGS because, generally speaking, they will end up getting anywhere from a 3 to 10 point grading enhancement. The biggest grading enhancement I have personally witnessed concerned a BCS EF-45 (not original) being transformed into a PCGS AU-58 PPQ, as reported in the following thread:

http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=9632.0

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
vimstd
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2009, 11:38:35 pm »

WOW. I seem to have touched a nerve in a few people. My intention was strictly to bring to light the fact that right now Colonial Acres has 40 notes advertised on eBay as BCS certified, with numerical grades, which I believe violates listing policy (but don't get me started on EBay.CA disqualification of Canadian services).
- remember, TPG stands for THIRD Party Graded
- as stipulated by others, "the owner of BCS is an employee of Colonial Acres"
- this fact IN AND OF ITSELF negates the value (even if just in appearance) of BCS as "unbiased"

I stand by my original observation, "they are selling notes 'certified' in-house. By definition, this is NOT third-party-grading. Colonial Acres Coins PROFITS from the higher grades assigned to notes they sell."

- What I was attempting to solicit were comments/opinions on RETAILERS selling "in-house" graded notes as TPG certified, as opposed to questioning the grading service. That’s a lot of pressure on a young man to perform to his employer’s benefit (even if not deliberately). Old adage, “the appearance of impropriety is tantamount to impropriety itself.”

comments ? ON RETAILERS SELLING NOTES GRADED IN-HOUSE BY EMPLOYEES AS TPG CERTIFIED ?
vimstd
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2009, 11:51:37 pm »

OOPS. Forgot to mention re BCS's post above, "The statement “BCS = Colonial Acres Coins” is completely incorrect, without any argument or foundation to support it" yet, also states, "the owner of BCS is also an employee of Colonial Acres Coins"

and "they are located in the same plaza in Kitchener" is somewhat misleading. Fact is you have to enter Colonial Acres to access BCS. You can not get to BCS except by going through Colonial Acres. Their space is one in the same. BCS might (maybe) sub-lease 12 square feet from Colonial Acres for a desk with chair, but there is only ONE storefront.

vimstd
gonkman
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 11:05:23 am »

In my "Opinion"  the only place I will be sending my notes for Grading is BCS.  I am totall agreement with Oil..

BCS I good in my books.  They use the Charlton Standard of Grading which is great.   

I have had 2 notes which were "Mislabeled" come back from BCS.  (No Mention of Radar)  Steven Bell quickly responded and I sent them back.   They were done and corrected and sent back free of charge.    All within a FEW Days.

Try and do that with a American Company.. you will be waiting a long time I am sure. 

As for BCS being in Colonial Acres.... And your point is?   

You think BCS Overgraded notes to sell for Colonial?  I don't think so.  I have purchased several notes from Colonial acres and they are graded correctly "In my Opinion".

If more people would finally embrace BCS and at least give them a try I am sure you would be pleased. 

Then maybe Steven Bell would be making enough money to get his own "Shop" and quit working at Colonial Acres. 

In case anyone cares... BCS Does have a special on until September  $7 a note to be graded.  I am planning on sending a bunch of notes in a couple weeks.

I am sure I will be pleased with BCS's "Opinion" of my notes.

And This http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=9632.0  is the reason I won't touch an American TPG Note ever.  :)

woodguy62
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 12:51:25 pm »

RETAILERS SELLING NOTES GRADED IN-HOUSE BY EMPLOYEES AS TPG CERTIFIED ?

Yes, that would be wrong.

As far as BCS and CAC goes, I'm satisfied they are 2 separate entities. Whatever arrangement they have to share space, is their business.  If I was to guess, when BCS is grading notes, he's not on the CAC clock. When he is on CAC time, he's not grading notes for BCS. This guess is solely based on good business practice only, for both BCS and CAC. Not too many employers will let you run a small business on their time.

What concerns me is the implication that graders intentionally over grade or under grade notes for financial gain. Be careful! Think about what you are saying.

Appearances can be deceiving.

BCS
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 03:26:47 pm »

I think my defenders have pretty much hit the nail on the head, and for that I thank them.

I (Steven Bell) am an individual who works for two separate companies, BCS and Colonial Acres Coins.  This happens a lot in the world, especially if you have a such a specialized skill.  The convience of us sharing the same office space does not imply that we are associated with eachother or schemeing to rip people off.  Nor do my two rolls as Grader for BCS and Colonial Acres. I can assure you, Colonial Acres Coins does not get any special treatment from BCS.  They are a customer of BCS just like many other dealers are. 

For some reason, this person seems to think that the fact that Colonial Acres Coins having many BCS certified notes online right now is proof of our misgivings?  When you think about it, it makes sense that Colonial choose BCS to certify their paper money.  They know and trust the grading to be accurate and they are located so close.  Makes sense to me.

On that note, I would like to say that I have taken many precausions to insure my two roles do not conflict with eachother.  I do not buy BCS certified notes myself or on behalf of Colonial.  I do not make the decisions as to what colonial pieces get certified. These rules are important to me because it helps maintain my integrety and image in the market place.  What doesn't support my image are false statements based on suspicsion and speculation, and not a shread of evidence to back it up.  Reputation is very important in this indusrty, especially for a third party grader.  It could even be said that, in a way, BCS is selling it's reputation, or at least values it as a very important asset.  Why would I do anything to tarnish such an important thing? I wish this person would have done his/her research before jumping to ludicrus conclusions.

Since these false statements involve Colonial Acres, I have notified the owner.  I suspect he'll be as upset as I am with this unfounded accusation.

If anything needs clarifying, feel free to ask.

BCS
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 05:02:27 pm »

WOW. I seem to have touched a nerve in a few people. My intention was strictly to bring to light the fact that right now Colonial Acres has 40 notes advertised on eBay as BCS certified, with numerical grades, which I believe violates listing policy (but don't get me started on EBay.CA disqualification of Canadian services).
- remember, TPG stands for THIRD Party Graded
- as stipulated by others, "the owner of BCS is an employee of Colonial Acres"
- this fact IN AND OF ITSELF negates the value (even if just in appearance) of BCS as "unbiased"

I stand by my original observation, "they are selling notes 'certified' in-house. By definition, this is NOT third-party-grading. Colonial Acres Coins PROFITS from the higher grades assigned to notes they sell."

- What I was attempting to solicit were comments/opinions on RETAILERS selling "in-house" graded notes as TPG certified, as opposed to questioning the grading service. That’s a lot of pressure on a young man to perform to his employer’s benefit (even if not deliberately). Old adage, “the appearance of impropriety is tantamount to impropriety itself.”

comments ? ON RETAILERS SELLING NOTES GRADED IN-HOUSE BY EMPLOYEES AS TPG CERTIFIED ?

I guess it comes down to "know your client" and "know your grader".
The actions of Steve Bell do not show any conflict of interest with regards to his character or the integrity of his business with relation to CAC. I base this from everything I have ever known or had been informed on regarding his character since I entered the hobby in a serious way 5 years ago.  Others who have been around much longer can probably attest to his integrity and objectives.

When an activity appears as something that would contradict ALL other directives taken by an individual, it would be unreasonable to assume that the one thing appearing as an anomaly is the actual "full characteristic" of a person/entity.
To me, assuming that sort of thing sounds a bit journalistic.  Almost Tabloid ish.

To those that know S.B. (admittedly, I do not know him too well, however, the gospels of him spoken to me have been 100% non-contradictory), they know that his highest interest is maintaining the integrity of his business and the hobby, for he could have just as easily loosened up his grading for immense financial gain.  The fact that he has stayed true to the Charlton Standard speaks very very loudly.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 05:05:47 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2009, 05:09:58 pm »

Hear! Hear!

I think we can safely end this discussion here. The odd post has strayed a little too close to some potentially libelous remarks, so in the interests of keeping this discussion clean and not beating the matter to death, I'm going to hit the "lock" button.

Thanks all for your participation, and thank you to BCS and Colonial Acres for taking the criticism in stride (and in context) and responding in a mature and appropriate manner.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.

Login with username, password and session length