Author
Topic: Grading Service CCCS - CCGS?  (Read 7114 times)
gonkman
« on: January 14, 2008, 02:58:47 pm »

I Don't  want to start a flame war.. just wondering.

Do the majority of you guys trust the grading of CCGS and CCCS for Banknotes?

I occasionally buy the graded note and just wondering if you all consider these 2 companies to be "decent" when grading.

I read the info about BCS and I may send a few notes to be graded. 

I just wanted to get an idea from all of you if you think these 2 companies are ok or should I avoid them?

If so are there are any other Canadian grading companies I should look at?

Thanks..
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:32:17 am »

Due Diligence

I know this topic is sensitive but as a collector, I would like to express my personal comment to share with the other members.  Please accept my apologize first if I hurt anyone here (I have no intention to hurt anyone).

My personal comment for Third Party Grading is to do your homework (comparison, observation and research).  No matter how accurate the professional grader was, there still a possibility of deviation from notes to notes amongst the graders.  (not only limited to graders, dealers also)

I sent out total 12 notes, split into two lots, one to CCGS and one to BCS for certification.  When I received back, I took all the notes out from the protectors and then sent the one graded by CCGS to BCS, the one graded by BCS to CCGS.

The reason why I am doing this is I would like to build up the creditably for these two professional graders, and of course building up my personal trust on them.

Amongst the notes, 6 were 1954 DF, 4 1954 MP and 2 1937.  All of the notes are original with majority graded by me as UNC and some AU.  I pick these notes up because I would like to compare how these imperfection notes were graded by these two professional graders.  I don't need to talk about embossing & counting creases because every member is well aware of.

Here is the result:
Scenario 1 – UNC  UNC61 UNC63 1 note
Scenario 2 – UNC   UNC60 UNC60 5 notes
Scenario 2 – UNC  AU58     UNC      2 notes
Scenario 3 – UNC  AU55     UNC      1 note
Scenario 2 – AU EF45     AU50     1 note
Scenario 3 – AU AU55     AU55     1 note
Scenario 4 – AU AU58     UNC      1 note

Under the result, I guess my standard is like the US professional graders (or better) and one of the grader set a slightly higher standard than others.  (be honest with you guys, I set a very high standard for my main collections)

As a collector and we don't want to have our collections like Nortel falling from over $1000 / share to less than $10 / share  (the same theory for our valuable house falling in value like the US market now), then we better do more homework and check the note(s) careful before buying it.  We need to decide whether we buy the note(s) or to buy the folder(s).

Below comment is out of topic:
Did anyone ask himself (herself) the objectives to collect the note(s)?  Not the dealers or reseller because they are doing to earn a profit or to promote the hobby.

[1] As a hobby
[2] Investment (long and short term)

We needs to use our actions to express our idea to the dealers and let them to reflect in the products and makes the community healthy.  If it is not healthy, sooner or later the collector's interest will drop and dealers will get hurts ……

Yuman
ibo2008
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:18:29 pm »

i have no problem with a note that is graded UNC61 by a company and then graded UNC62 by another...cuz we all know..different people have different personal opinions and we are not computers....the results will not come out exactly the same everyday even by the same grader...not to mention by different people....

but i have problem with a note with rounded corners..a few counting creases clearly visible by an untrained eye (like by me) and still graded by these so-called professional graders as UNC64 or UNC65....cuz to me ..this is totally incompetent, unprofessional and irresponsible...

as "YuMan" said..i have no intention to hurt anyone and this is only my personal opinion.....but then...it is not uncommon for us to see a note that is not even qualified as UNC and is graded as UNC64 or UNC65..and every time i see this happens..i always wonder..what is the definition of a "professional grader"?

again..i must emphasis... i am not saying all professional graders are irresponsible..as a matter of fact... most of them are and i highly respect them for their hard work and their integrity but unfortunately i used to work as an antique dealer and i have seen some so-called professional appraisers...they will do anything to have the appraisals done in a way to please his/her clients (intentionally or unintentionally).....i even saw an antique dealer who did an appraisal for his friend next to his booth for a roll of bubble wrap (of course in a way to please his friend)....this is why in the diamond business...most dealers and big auction houses only accept the appraisals by GIA...

we are happy with this hobby cuz we enjoy it and we are happy to see the value appreciates ..but imagine...if we rely on these professional graders only and pay a premium for a UNC65 note....and after certain years..we find that it is only an AU50..and lose money...i dont think this is healthy to this  business and certainly i am sure no collectors want to see that....

i guess ...knowledge is the best asset and we should learn and need to know what we are buying..not purely depending on the grading by any company...

Login with username, password and session length