Author
Topic: Grading Do They Keep Records?  (Read 5302 times)
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« on: January 21, 2008, 11:40:00 pm »

Do any of the known grading company's or all of them for that matter keep a file on every note graded and for how long if they do? I seen a note that had been graded by a grading company that I may have been interested in and as far as I recall it was graded AU, and as the years past I again seen what I believe to be the exact same note but not in the grading sleeve and was selling as a grade or so above what I remember it to be. Thus brings the question of did the owner or the person he sold it to remove it from the case and try and squeak another grade or so out of the note to someone that may not be that familiar with grading notes. Can a person try and contact the original grader and give them the serial number and such and see what they have on that specific note? I have no idea how they keep records or such. I presume that this person sent the note away with hopes of having something, and it returning to be found that it was not of the status they had once thought it would be. I don't know if the money lost for grading services rendered would be worth the amount difference for a grade but I guess it would greatly depend on what type of note was in question. Has anyone ran across this problem? Or for interest sake does anyone know about what type of systems they use to record there data?    Thanks for now!   :D

Jeff

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!
thunder-boy
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 12:01:36 am »

Grading Notes has always seemed to be a very difficult area of this hobby. My best suggestion is to learn to be a very good judge of grading notes. Also purchase notes from sellers you trust.
I believe that grading companies keep records, but only of the last grade given(I"m sure they dont want to be policeman either...lol)
Like it or not there will always be someone who is going to try and raise the grade of the note for profit.
I have found in my years of being a collector that if you buy based on the grade the seller tells you it is and not by your own grading you will always be dissapointed.
Unfortunately it is always buyer beware.
That being said i have been sold very nice and well graded notes from dealers most of the time, and found the majority to be very honorable.
Enjoy the hobby it truly is very rewarding.

Cheers Sheldon

Buy the best and sell the PRESSED!!
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:43:06 am »

I know BCS keeps records for verification, but you would need the 5 digit code on the back of the holder to locate the information on the note. Example AA***
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 08:05:03 am by only4teeth »
eti1
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:49:41 pm »

CCGS does have a registry here is the link:

http://www.canadiancurrencygradingservice.com/registry.htm

PMG

as far as I know PMG only offer a population report but not a detail registry and not for Canadian paper yet

CCCS:

offer a verification center and give the serial but you must know the number on the certificate here is an example

http://www.canadiancoincertification.com/index2.php?c=3&lg=1

I hope that help

Login with username, password and session length