Author
Topic: Low Serial Numbers  (Read 7939 times)
sunshine365
« on: February 05, 2008, 09:58:25 pm »

I am trying to find out some information for a friend.  He has several Canadian notes from the 1935 and 1954 series that are crisp uncirculated and have very low (single digit) serial numbers.  He would like to know what they are worth and I have looked extensively on line but can't find any information as to value.  I would be grateful for any input.
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:17:46 am »

Pm'd.
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 04:57:04 pm »

I am trying to find out some information for a friend.  He has several Canadian notes from the 1935 and 1954 series that are crisp uncirculated and have very low (single digit) serial numbers.

This post has reminded me of an early collector (circa 1978) of low serial numbered 1935 notes. His name was Mike Fernley and he amassed a significant collection of low-number 1935 notes. However, he suddenly disappeared from the collecting scene, apparently because he washed some of his notes and then pressed them in a school exercise book (the type with pre-printed blue and red lines). This pressing left a prominent pattern of blue & red lines on the notes, which I referred to at the time as "prison bars". I'm sure these prison-bar notes are still out there somewhere, although perhaps the bars have since been removed(?) Also, I often wonder about Mr. Fernely himself who I recall as being a very friendly and affable person.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 04:58:42 pm by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length