Author
Topic: Graded Notes / Safety Deposit Boxes  (Read 6554 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: February 19, 2008, 08:36:10 pm »

I am planning to have the notes in my safety deposit box graded, but I know they won't  fit back in afterwards.... requiring me to upgrade my box to a larger size.  What I'm worried about is that maybe they won't fit into the larger box either.  I also know that the different banks seem to have different sizes of boxes.  Can anyone confirm for me what size box they have (and what Bank they use) and if their graded notes fit in easily?  Thanks.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 08:46:12 pm »

I've got a box that is 5" high by 10" wide. I haven't yet tested my BCS-graded notes in the box, but when I do, I'll report back. If I remember, I'll also try to get measurements of the inner box itself.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:03:48 pm »

I've got a box that is 5" high by 10" wide. I haven't yet tested my BCS-graded notes in the box, but when I do, I'll report back. If I remember, I'll also try to get measurements of the inner box itself.

If for any reason your BSC notes don't fit into your box...Don't Worry.  I have one large enough to hold ALL of them and then some.   I will even let you come see them whenever you wish ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rusty
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 09:04:33 pm »

I recommend going for the SDB which is approximately equivalent in length, height and width to two shoe boxes placed end to end.  Generally they cost about $175.00/yr, but most banks have a long waiting list.  Try a "new" branch of one of the big 5 banks in a newly built plaza ... you'll be able to choose from several different sizes and locations within the vault. Look for something at waist level.
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 09:11:14 pm »

I have one from the Royal bank. The Medium size is somewhere around 5 inch high by 10 wide. Very nice size which I beleive will accomodate any third party graded notes if you lay them flat. I keep most of my notes in there and it still looks empty :-\

Cannot confirm the rate for all provinces but here I pay $65.00.

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:30:41 pm »

I just got my Banknotes certified and the holder is exactly the size of an 8 1/2 x 11" sheet of paper folded in half horizontally.  For the time being they will be placed in a locked file folder until I figure out what to do with them.  Unfortunately my SD is only slightly bigger than a regular note holder.

Although I didn't expect to have perfect notes I was pleasantly surprised at how effecient and percise the grading was with only one note graded 65 and the remainder AU 50 & 55 and Unc 60.

Login with username, password and session length