Author
Topic: American TPG Companies  (Read 4817 times)
RS_dude
« on: April 12, 2008, 11:13:05 am »

It is ashame that everybody seems to be sending there stuff out to the states grading company, so that they can get a higher grade then what anyone of the Canadian companies would grade it. Is this fair to anybody in the hobby to have an American company OVERGRADING our Canadian notes !!!

I think it is bull that a lot of the bigger dealers are also doing it !! Why ?? Easy answer. So they can get Gem Unc prices for an AU or UNC.

Do you feel violated yet. Well you should ! Is there something wrong with Andrews grading, or BCS grading ??  Well, there must be, everybody is still sending there stuff to the states !!

So this is the future of our hobby, supporting people that can't grade there own note by themselves, so they send them so somebody else that doesn't know the difference between AU & Gem Unc, original, or pressed !

This hobby is slowly going to the toilet because of it, I myself won't buy higher end notes that have been graded by the American company. I would feel much better buying from a Canadian grading company outta Ontario, or Alberta, then outta the states !

To you, that have to have the higher grade outta the American company, Shame on  you !!

But I'm sure your profits are up !!

Just a Saturday morning rant from Alberta. This should get this topic flying, & be sure to let some of the dealers know how you feel about it. Remember, without your voice & pocket book, this hobby wouldn't be here  !!!   ::)   Darcy
YuMan
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 04:22:47 am »

Quote:
It is ashame that everybody seems to be sending there stuff out to the states grading company, so that they can get a higher grade then what anyone of the Canadian companies would grade it. Is this fair to anybody in the hobby to have an American company OVERGRADING our Canadian notes !!!

I think it is bull that a lot of the bigger dealers are also doing it !! Why ?? Easy answer. So they can get Gem Unc prices for an AU or UNC

Reply:
Personally, 100% agree with RS_dude.  These TPG is going to kill us or discourage collectors.

Yuman
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:00:51 am »

Here's an interesting and useful article about third-party grading written from an American perspective. It was published in the April 2008 issue of Bank Note Reporter magazine and was written by Bill Brandimore, a highly experienced collector. I have highlighted a few important statements in yellow. Perhaps the most important statement relates to the fact that PRESSED NOTES can be slabbed whereas CLEANED COINS cannot be slabbed.

{http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-1/1293040/TPG.JPG}
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 12:03:53 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).

Login with username, password and session length