Author
Topic: 1924 Bank of Nova Scotia $5 UNC  (Read 4623 times)
kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« on: May 22, 2008, 07:29:48 pm »

Dear members

I would like to ask about the scarcity of the 1924 Bank of Nova Scotia $5 in UNC. I purchased this note several years ago and recently received news from PMG that is grades PMG GEM UNC 65 EPQ. The best example I have seen recently is a VF/EF and few have been offered. I am aware that the note is too common in lower grades to be included in the register but I am very curious on these higher grades. I will gadly post some scans once it is returned to me from PMG.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Cheers

Jason

KC's Canadian Currency
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 04:27:06 pm »

Undoubtedly a "Trophy Note" and a fair bit scarcer than the 1929 issue! Congratulations, Jason, on locating on yet another beautiful Canadian gem.

I agree with your implicit suggestion that it would be useful to establish a register of notes that may be quite common in VF and below but are very rare in the very highest grades. Another idea would be to create a listing of "the finest known" surviving example of every note issue.

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 12:10:25 pm »

Fricke has such a listing for the 10 highest grades for each of the Confederate note typs so this would be a similar project and something useful to know about for more common notes that are rare in high grades.

Login with username, password and session length