Author
Topic: Washing A Note?  (Read 3313 times)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:32:53 pm »

How do you know if a note has been washed?

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 09:23:42 pm »

How do you know if a note has been washed?

When it looks and smells really clean ;D

I guess a lot depends on how it has been treated and with what it has been treated with....for instance, a note processed with bleach can have that ammonia smell to it even if it is air dried... I had a PMG graded note that did not have the EPQ designation on it and after some persistent inquires I was told that 2 of the 3 graders believed that the note had been processed or washed in some way and the smell of bleach was apparent. I no longer have the note, but I always question any note sealed in a slab without the EPQ or Original designation. I guess sealed plastic holders are a great way to hide the smell.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
LBIsackson
  • Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
    • LB Isackson Digital Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 01:37:46 am »

Usually if it has been washed ...it has been  pressed...
There are alot notes that are processed in different ways... You can buy  them every day of the week on famous auctions sites..This year I have sent back notes 5 times because of processing...
When you see an advertisement on TV or where ever "Collectors notes" Museum Quality notes" all sorts of phrases to obfuscate the true quality of the note...run
So if it smells like a chemical , baby powder, bounce sheets, ozone etc someone is up to no good.
Your best indication is feel the note and look for the embossing...if your unsure get yourself a genuine unc note and  examine it carefully by touch and sight..you soon will be able to spot the funny money..unless of coarse you like funny money..then there is lots to had.... ::)

Money is: "Limited Edition Art"
The smaller the edition ... the better the art
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 04:26:43 pm »

Thanks!  :D

Login with username, password and session length