Author
Topic: Auction on this forum, Is it possible?  (Read 4104 times)
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« on: September 12, 2008, 09:35:31 pm »

I was just wondering if it would ever be possible to hold an auction on this forum? (I am not saying I am starting one but, asking if it would be possible).

EXAMPLE

(LETS SAY I AM SELLING A 1954 $5 DEVILS HEAD NOTE IN UNC CONDITION. SIGNED BEATTIE-COYNE WITH THE PREFIX C/C)

Up For Auction:1954 $5 Devils Head Note (C/C)
Signatures: Beattie - Coyne
Condition: Unc
Serial Number: C/C ******* (What Ever Serial Number Is)
About The Item: THIS IS WERE YOU WOULD JUST BRIEFLY DESCRIBE WHAT YOU ARE SELLING.

Starting Bid: WHAT EVER SOMEONE CHOOSES A STARTING PRICE TO BE.

*THEN PEOPLE POST THERE BIDS*
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 06:00:53 pm by 1971HemiCuda »

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 09:49:28 pm »

It is entirely possible for anyone to set up a Trading Post thread in such a manner.

To get it automated in any way, (think mini-eBay), would be beyond the scope of this website. I do not want to get into that level of facilitating sales. There are some liability issues with it, but as it is right now, things seem to be working out alright.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 09:53:04 pm »

Ok, Thanks.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:14:56 am »

One problem with this should be obvious.
I do believe that many members do not want the price they are paying or bidding for an item disclosed.  Many members also do not want others to know that they purchased the note.  Personally I have had requests from purchasers not to disclose the sale price, nor the buyer.  I believe that if a person wants to give this information out publicly it is up to them to do so, and not the seller.
Also, when a note is placed on the trading post it is not always a member that purchases the note...it could be a guest that truly wants to stay anonymous. As a seller, you would definitely lose some bidders if they had to openly bid and disclose who they are.
Again this is only my personal opinion, but based on previous sales and inquiries that I have had in the past this is the way it is.
I don't think many members here would post a spreedsheet of their entire collection and what it is worth unless they were tryng to sell it...do you ???

FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2008, 10:46:05 am »

Yeah, your right.

KrispyNote
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 05:43:02 pm »

Why not just make a post saying you are offering such and such a note , and will take offers for one week,and leave your email and also use the pm. Besides answering any questions, the only one you contact is The "winner"
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2008, 06:24:53 pm »

It would be more fun "Auction Style"

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2008, 06:59:12 pm »

It would be more fun "Auction Style"
Then put up one of your notes and see....It's the only way that you will know if it works the way your want it to.

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Newfie Nightmare
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Forum Moderators
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »

maybe an option that bids would be accepted through personal message also, you could then add to the public auction that a bid was received through personal message at $xxx.xx amount.  Obviously this would entail a certain amount of trust that the sellar isn't making it up.

Login with username, password and session length