Author
Topic: 2009: A Rough Year For New Prefixes?  (Read 4566 times)
FogDevil
« on: December 25, 2008, 06:46:59 am »

Seeing that we are heading into a recession, does anybody believe 2009 will possibly be a rough year for new serial number prefixes?
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 07:31:47 pm »

I think it will be rough for the Tens so we won't see the Carny signatures for a while yet.  :(

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
FogDevil
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2008, 08:25:34 pm »

I think it will be rough for the Tens so we won't see the Carny signatures for a while yet.  :(

I guess you're predicting sometime closer to Christmas 2009 before the Carney signatures appear on the $10s?
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:02:12 pm »

Yeah Fog mon, me crystal ball hasn’t been too reliable lately. Last month I asked it. “Do I buy 649 today?” and it sez “Yeah Punky mon, you winner.”
Later da lotto machine played da winner music and da nice lady sez “you win $5 mon.”  :o
Me tinks if we boys and girls are very good to da BoC spirits we can see Carney on FFA or BUA prefix or on whatever comes after FEW or BTZ.

“Gloria, in Excelsis Deo!”  ;D

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
FogDevil
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 09:27:51 am »

Me tinks if we boys and girls are very good to da BoC spirits we can see Carney on FFA or BUA prefix or on whatever comes after FEW or BTZ.
Actually, after the FE* run is complete, they will go to FTA.  As for following up the BT* run, if the $5 bill goes back to denominational letter "N" soon, we may see BUA surface on the $10s, but for now my money is on AUA as the next new prefix for the $5's, and CDA for the $10s after BTZ.

Back on topic, I have a feeling that due to the recession, the distribution of $10s for the coming months is going to be a bit slower than normal.  I remember when there was a mild recession back in 2001-2002, there were only 4 full run prefixes for the "Printed in 2001" $10s (FEA to FED), and FDZ and FEE only had very small ranges (the latter only having about 300,000 or something in range) printed in 2001.  But the summer of 2002 came, and the economy was rising again.  There were a ton of new prefixes for $10s printed in 2002, and I got myself one of those first prefixes in crisp condition by August that year, and more would be coming.

But seeing the recession this time around, it may be the worst one since 1979.  It's possible that there was a much slower distribution of $10s and other prefixes across the country back then.  Tons of businesses are closing now.  The lotto booths in shopping malls are now defunct (I hated the service at those booths, goodbye and good riddance).  What will be next - banks laying off tellers and other staff?  The way I see it, the shopping malls are going to be pretty much like a "ghost town" by the time April or May comes around.  The only businesses in shopping malls that will get high volumes of traffic this year will be primarily banks.  But I have a feeling that if some banks have two commercial wickets, they'll likely eliminate one of them and the commercial teller with the least seniority may likely be relegated back to the counter as a normal teller, but that person will cross-train in the surviving commercial unit when needed.

I am not certain how many businesses are shutting down across Canada, but I have a feeling 2009 is not looking good for the Canadian economy.  We'll have to see what 2010 holds, but there is a chance the economy will come back strong by the fall.  We'll see what happens.

Login with username, password and session length