Author
Topic: Book Values in Between Grades.  (Read 5003 times)
gonkman
« on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:43 am »

Hello..

I have been assuming when looking up a Book value in Charlton that the value of a note is a range.  Am I correct on assuming this?

ie:  BC-30a $2 Devil's Face.

EF = $100
AU = $200

A note with an EF-45 would be $150 Approx Book Value?  Its not EF-40 and not AU-50 so the price would be between these 2 values?

Is this a correct assumption?  Or do most people stick with EF (40,45) = EF Price  and AU (50,55,58) = AU Book Price?

I just assumed this is how you would estimate a value.  Am I wrong?

I guess it gets more dicey with the VF Grade (20,25,30,35)  :P

kid_kc79
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Still looking for that one great note
    • KC's Canadian Currency
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »

That is a good interpretation as book values are an approximate / estimate of the notes worth.

KC's Canadian Currency
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 05:08:56 pm »

Hello..

I have been assuming when looking up a Book value in Charlton that the value of a note is a range.  Am I correct on assuming this?

EF = $100
AU = $200

A note with an EF-45 would be $150 Approx Book Value?  Its not EF-40 and not AU-50 so the price would be between these 2 values?

Is this a correct assumption?  Or do most people stick with EF (40,45) = EF Price  and AU (50,55,58) = AU Book Price?

I just assumed this is how you would estimate a value.  Am I wrong?

I guess it gets more dicey with the VF Grade (20,25,30,35)  :P

I ussually do this to. Because your note is in between these two grade's so your value should be to.

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 05:16:33 pm »

EF = $100
AU = $200

I believe your assumption holds true for notes that have been professionally graded and are in demand (such as most Devil's Faces).  If notes have not been professionally graded (or graded by a dealer you can trust) than there should be a greater deal of negotiating on the price of that note.  If the note is not in demand (like a common present day insert) the lower grade is usually the final price.  That is why a lot of dealers (I know) do not like notes that sit in between grades, and they are notes I love to snap up because I don't mind a note that's less than UNC at a reduced price. 

Login with username, password and session length