Author
Topic: A registery for SNR's ????  (Read 6543 times)
freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« on: February 04, 2009, 01:37:00 pm »

I am surprised that no one has suggested a registry for SNR's. It would be interesting to see how rare some of these actually are. I am sure other forum members are just as curious as I am. Yes/No? Any thoughts. I would even be willing to keep the registry up to date for the forum here.

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 02:09:09 pm »

As was mentioned in another thread, insert registries may be a good idea.  I know that many people will never contribute information and not disclose what they have or have found, but the fact is ANY information that is made available is better than no information.
Any opinions, are greatly appreciated.

I can't seem to find the thread, but I believe most collectors would be interested in knowing what is out there.
FRIEDSQUID

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 02:38:12 pm »

If you're volunteering to take the lead on this, send me a PM and I can get you set up on the CPMWiki so that you can create and maintain these lists.

We can discuss how to best organize them as well.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Dr.Bill
  • CPMS Member 1520
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

I suggested an SNR registry many months ago, but there was no interest at that time.

Keeping a registry for all SNR's might not be feasible as some ranges are very common.

It might be interesting keeping a SNR registry for ranges that have 20 or less  replacement notes known.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 08:45:22 pm by Dr.Bill »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:32:05 pm »

I suggested an SNR registry many months ago, but there was no interest at that time.
Keeping a registry for all SNR's might not be feasible as some ranges are very common. It might be interesting keeping a SNR registry for ranges that have 20 or less  replacement notes known. The best place to start is with G. P., since he already has all the information recorded.
I agree with you on this one since some of the SNR ranges are definitely tougher/rarer than others.  I would be more than happy to discuss this with Gilles if the registry has the green light.
The one question I have is "20" a magic number? My understanding is that sometimes when the number is so low the chances of a note being sold/traded is low since collectors tend to kept tougher notes in their collections and they rarely surface. Is this an incorrect assumption? Opinions and comments more than welcome.
FRIEDSQUID
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:39:12 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 09:53:07 pm »

chances of a note being sold/traded is low since collectors tend to kept tougher notes in their collections and they rarely surface.

I would have to agree with you on this one, as most tough SNR’s are traded or sold privately amongst collectors, with no selling trail.

If a registry is established, most of the information would be based on the known notes themselves, and not on transaction history. Hopefully, as time goes on, collectors will share their information.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 10:06:10 pm by Elwoodbluesca »

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
freedomschoice
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:30 pm »

I don't believe that a magic number should be a cut off  for a note. The registry is for that. It will decide how rare a note is by the fact of how many are owned. If some collectors don't want to add to the registry, that is their business. But hopefully people will be forthcoming and the information will grow and become more accurate with time. That is the point of the registry. The scarcity is what we as forum members are looking at. Since i have offered and sent Brent a message about setting it up and maintaining it, I don't mind the extra work if a hundred people register a particular SNR. That alone will suggest the scarcity and or rarity if some have two or three.  The regisrty is for scarcity and not about value. The scrcity will dictate the price anyways either here, privately or on ebay.   Thanks   

Daamg
  • Can you ever really get it all?
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 01:24:19 am »

Hello All:

I would have to agree with freedomschoice.  I'm an avid SNR collector and would have no problem submitting the qnty of each SNR i have.  I see Inserts and SNR's all over the map price wise up to $5000.00.  If there was a registry i would definitely feel more comfortable dropping $5000.00 on a single note rather than taking someones word and my own knowledge (which is limited on some notes  :'().  The more info the better to help me make a wise purchase.  Just my thoughts. 

Freedomschoice if you do head this up give me an email and I'll give you the info ;)

Ian

Login with username, password and session length