Author
Topic: "Cut off Size" Error Note info in Charlton.  (Read 4762 times)
gonkman
« on: March 07, 2009, 04:35:34 pm »

Hello,

Could someone please explain the following 3 designations in Charlton for "Cut off Size" ??

Pg 390 in the 21st Edition..

Cat No E25-i   - Out of Register by 25%
Cat No E25-ii  - Out of Register 25% or More
Cat No E25-iii  - Out of Register, with Colour Bar

Can someone describe these a bit more as to what they would look like? 

They include 1 example photo in the Catalogue.  Which would of the 3 cats would the example fall into?

And what is the "The Colour Bar" ??  I assume it might be the Pattern testing thing on the outside of note sheets when they are cut?

Any help would be great.

Thanks.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 05:21:54 pm »

The first image shows a simple cut out of register note, less than 25%.

The second image shows a much greater error where the note is cut out of register more than 25%.

The third image shows a colour bar but is not an E25 error.

(Note: The first two images are fabricated by me in Photoshop).

Almost forgot... I should mention that the difference between an E25 error and an E7 error is that with an E25, ALL printing layers will be aligned relative to each other and it will only be the cutting that is wrong. With an E7 error, one or more printing layers may be out of alignment with the rest. For example, an E7 error might have the back looking perfect, but the front is shifted by half an inch. An E25 error would have both the front and back shifted by the same amount.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 05:38:20 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
gonkman
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 05:51:30 pm »

Thanks for the info.  I thought that is what it meant but wasn't 100% Sure.

The example they show in the Charlton guide.. would it be a E25-i ??

Also Would not all of these notes be larger than a regular note if they include part of another?

Your 1st and 2ns Examples would they note be more of an "out or register" error than a "Cutt off Size" ??
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 06:25:20 pm »

The second image shows a much greater error where the note is cut out of register more than 25%.

Are there errors that look like this?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 06:36:43 pm »

@ gonkman: There are two images shown on p390. The first, BC-46, is a cut out of register note, and I would estimate it to be less than 25%, making it an E25-i. The second is a cut off size note.
My first two images were for out of register notes. Cut off size and cut out of register notes are grouped together because they both occur as a result of some mistake in the cutting process. Both types of errors would be priced/catalogued similarly. The BC-37 note shown would be a cut off size, less than 25% extra.

@ 1971HemiCuda: Sure, why not? The paper could simply have been mispositioned when it came time to cut it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 07:27:03 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
gonkman
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 05:08:18 pm »

Ok.. I think I have this right and I have included a Scan of the note I have.  Bottom note is for reference to length as the bottom note is regular size.

I assume this would be a E25i - Out of Register by up to 25%.
I know its not a HUGE Error but it is longer than a regular note and you can clearly see the beginning of another note.

That being said... would this note also Fall into the E26 Section of "Error Replacement Notes"??

I would not expect a Huge premium increase but since Replacement notes are Supposed to Replace Error notes this shouldn't happen to often.

Anyone want to Put a rough guess on value of this note?  It is in Original AU I would say since it has a counting crease which is easily scene and has a soft corner (lower left).

Any guestimate values would be greatly appreciate.  I don't plan on selling it since I just got it. :)

By my bad math I was thinking in the approx $150 range?  Is this right? 

$125 X 80% = $100 X 150% =  $150?

Thanks..

Login with username, password and session length