Author
Topic: The Misprinted Security Feature $10 Canadian Banknote  (Read 17013 times)
highbetter
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 12:12:18 am »

Topic deleted

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:14:42 am by highbetter »
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 12:14:30 am »

Thank you for your reply.
I shall keep them as long as I can but I want to reward my aunt .
Therefore,I intend to sell one and get the cash for her.

So what happened to
(I keep themfor my kids.) them

either sell it or put them away

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
highbetter
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:15:28 am »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:15:01 am by highbetter »
highbetter
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 12:18:33 am »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:15:28 am by highbetter »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2009, 01:06:33 am »

News  information on this link:
http://www.mingpaotor.com/htm/News/20090320/tad1.htm
http://news.singtao.ca/toronto/2009-03-13/headline1236932926d1653202.html

For those that can't read Chinese, thanks to Google technology, I am able to translate the Ming Pao news article.  Although not 100% accurate, it's better than nothing:

Security mistake misprinted rare 10-dollar note

Ming Pao News - A member of the public has brought to our attention a printing error which has a face value of 10 dollars.   The notes are the real thing, but the security identifier above the printed version of the error was the mistake.  The founder of the note is concerned that there is are large quantity of this wrong 10 dollar version, which will have a negative affect on the reputation of Canadian money.

However, while the Bank of Canada said that the wrong printing version of Canadian money is very rare, they doubt that this will affect its credibility.

As this 10 dollar note is a real error note, you still need to carefully have error notes identified by experts.

This note with a face value of 10 dollars has three different security features than a regular 10 dollar note. 

First, the note has a positive portrait of laser hologram on the left side of the security, this should be reflective of the figure 10 are now turned into a 20.

Secondly, followed by middle notes of the watermark, the normal 10-dollar notes in the transparent watermarks are former Canadian Prime Minister Sir John A Macdonald portrait, and have a number 10 printed.  However, this particular note has the watermark of the Queen's Head and the number 20 printed, of which such a combination should appear in the place of a 20 dollar note. 

The third different error can be found back side of the note where there is a security thread.  It shoud be CAN10, but it shows instead CAN20.

In addition to these questions, and other notes used to identify the authenticity of the letter and the convex-concave pattern, it goes for real currency, so the holders of notes that Mr. Wu is a real currency, but a printing error, the 20 dollar note Some anti-counterfeiting printed signs up to 10 per coin.

Mr. Wu does not know the market value of this note, so he went to a Richmond Hill coin/stamp dealer with his inquiries the results of where store staff said they often receive inquiries about different notes found.

As for this problem, we contacted the Bank of Canada Office in Toronto, where the regional representative Manuel Parreira said, "This is a special note with unique differences.  There is the issue of anti-counterfeiting marks, and the authenticity of this note, but it should be examined by the Bank of Canada's experts to get a correct answer.  Even people who find printing error notes are sent from banks, to our Bank of Canada office to have someone examine the note in hand, to make a final identification. "

Parreira suggested that Mr. Wu contact the Bank of Canada to have this note verified to be legitimate/identified.   
"If it is a true 10-dollar note and a typographical error, then we will withdraw it as legal tender, and then give the original holders of this notes a normal note.  If it is a counterfeit, we will immediately confiscated, and we will issue a certificate."

The remarks about the probability that there is a lot of printing error notes in circulation is "nonsense" said Parreira.  "The credibility of the Canadian money is excellent, but a few mistakes do happen."

{http://www.mingpaotor.com/ftp/News/20090320/_a01.jpg}

{http://www.mingpaotor.com/ftp/News/20090320/_19dg61.jpg}

Congratulations to Mr. Wu, the holder of the BTU 2190162, who contacted the local Chinese newspapers on his find! 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 10:14:55 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
highbetter
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2009, 10:46:16 am »

Topic deleted

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:15:54 am by highbetter »
highbetter
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2009, 09:48:35 pm »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:16:11 am by highbetter »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 09:56:42 pm »

Real simple explanation: A sheet of $20 paper was used. This paper comes complete with the reflective strip, the security thread and the watermark. Each of those security features on your note indicated a $20 denomination, while everything else was appropriate for a $10.

There's your answer. Case closed.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
highbetter
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 10:07:57 pm »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:16:31 am by highbetter »
highbetter
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »

Topic deleted

« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:16:51 am by highbetter »
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2009, 10:55:15 pm »

HI Highbetter

Welcome to the forum.  You have a lot of very intelligent and great people here who can help you.  If you are a collector, then this is the site for you. 

Regarding this note.  If you like it, keep it.  If you want a value of it that may be more difficult.  If you have more then one, then keep them for all your kids.  If you want to sell them then offer them for sale.

Saying chinese members are not welcomed is absolute rubbish and  you show very much disrespect.  I am  oriental  and have met many of these members personally and  they have all been respectful and helpful in all ways.    You would be surprised by how many different ethic cultures are on this site.   

If you want to share a nice find, then share it but don't play games.  This is a professional site and is run by many professional people here,

regards

Polarbear

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2009, 11:02:00 pm »

Hi highbetter,

Everyone is welcome here on this forum no matter what their ethnicity, culture and/or background.  There are a number of Asian members on the Canadian Paper Money Forum.  No where in these posts did any members of this forum commented or criticized your ethnicity.

Now, going back to this $10 note, there seems to be some differences in the articles between the SingTao and MingPao and the discussions on the forum as to how this note was obtained.   In both cases, it's states that "Mr. Wu Tien-Mei" obtained this note and brought it to the attention of the media, but in Chinese "Tien-Mei" (means "more beautiful" when translated into English and is rarely used as a male's name - it's more a female name).   There seems to be some differences in the stories. 

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 11:56:21 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
highbetter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2009, 02:53:38 am »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:17:17 am by highbetter »
highbetter
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2009, 03:06:14 am »

Topic deleted
« Last Edit: April 02, 2009, 03:17:50 am by highbetter »

Login with username, password and session length