Author
Topic: Knight-Dodge FDZ 10$  (Read 4716 times)
Jokered
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:12:26 pm »

Hello,

Why is nothing being said about 10$ FDZ Knight-Dodge in the Charlton catalogue? It is not even detailed but the Knight-Thiessen is with more than 9 000 000 notes printed????

There is only 400 000 of them, they must be pretty hard to find... at least as much as the FDZ Knight-Dodge replacement ones?

Sometimes I don't quite understand how rarity is determined in banknote collecting ?

Jokered
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:19:23 pm »

There is an error in the 21st Edition on p347. The reference to Kn-Th FDZ in the pricing chart should be Kn-Do. The error will be corrected in the 22nd Edition due out this summer.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Jokered
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:57:06 pm »

Thanks for the answer.

So I understand that most of the replacement Knight-Thiessen have note been issued after all. That would explain the higher value. But how do we how many K-T have been really issued?

Thanks!

Jokered
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 11:02:34 pm »

I would suggest you check the High/Lows on the Wiki site.

The formal ranges for both K/T FDZ and K/D FDZ are published in the Charlton guide, p337. The High/Lows indicate that both ranges were fully released to circulation.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Bob
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 09:53:11 am »

Sometimes I don't quite understand how rarity is determined in banknote collecting ?

Jokered

It's really quite simple, but not at all well understood.  Rarity is determined by exactly one factor:  How many notes were saved
If a million notes were issued and only one survives today, it is extremely rare.
If only a thousand notes were issued and 900 survive today, it is common.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 12:12:27 pm »

It's really quite simple, but not at all well understood.  Rarity is determined by exactly one factor:  How many notes were saved?

Well, that's the million dollar question.  It is impossible to know for any type of note how many survive, but collectors can get a fairly decent idea by looking at how many are being traded on the market.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
JB-2007
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 03:30:38 pm »

Hello,

Why is nothing being said about 10$ FDZ Knight-Dodge in the Charlton catalogue? It is not even detailed but the Knight-Thiessen is with more than 9 000 000 notes printed????

There is only 400 000 of them, they must be pretty hard to find... at least as much as the FDZ Knight-Dodge replacement ones?

Jokered
All Knight-Thiessen FDZ notes were issued as replacement notes which range from 9.00-9.599 and was issued as a sheet replacement.
The knight-Dodge FDZ were all issued as a regular prefix note, that is from 9.60-10M for  a total of 400,000. There are no FDZ Knight-Dodge replacements issued.
Back in 2001-2002 when they had first hit circulation, FDZ were not all that hard to come by. If you search for one today, that's a different story.

Login with username, password and session length