Author
Topic: Journey Series Replacements  (Read 4375 times)
reality
« on: July 31, 2009, 01:14:15 am »

As you can tell, I am new to this forum and sadly have not  had the chance to go through all the topic's and or response's. I apologize if this question has already been asked and answered! Why does it appear that there are more replacement note's in the "Journey Series" than that of the "Bird Notes"? Is it because of new paper being used or all the new security features playing havoc with the printers? Thank you in advance for any response! reality.
Mortgage Guy
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 02:22:14 am »

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 09:09:57 am by Mortgage Guy »

Always Buying Any Replacements and Special Serial Numbered Notes In C.Unc+ Condition
reality
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 03:32:11 pm »

Thank you for your response MG.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 03:09:16 am »

I think MG's response is a good one too.

Other things to note: Who prints the notes too now may have a factor.

BAI and CBN are contracted to print money - and as companies (BAI private), they have to manage cost efficiency.  Their methods have varied - from pulling notes with no replacements (as in BEU $10s and ARR $20s, and the recent high denoms), to inserting singles or sheets.

Their methods, we may never know. What we DO know is that those are done before they reach Bank of Canada (in most cases).
This is different in the past, where replacements were issued and inserted at the BoC level. Not sure if this would have had much of an impact, and not even sure when there was a change, but it just goes to show that many factors are involved.

I would say the fact that we have instant info these days, is one of the greatest factors.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 02:08:16 pm »

--  Just to add this I think there is definitely more replacement info & perhaps even more replacement activity (or no replacements depending on the extent of the printing malfunction)

-- We also know that the Journey paper has been pretty flimsy in the past (with the trials of new kinds of paper) so the notes aren't holding up like they used to.  I think this would mean more notes are being printed, likely printed in greater batches, with the likelihood of more problems occurring during the manufacture of said notes.  The original Journey notes were withdrawn from circulation- so there would have been a demand for huge lots of notes being printed up (with the security features).  Whether this rush demand puts a strain on producing quality notes is hard to say. 

reality
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 04:28:41 pm »

Thank you all for your respones. They have  been very helpful!

Login with username, password and session length