Author
Topic: Idea: Signature Tags for SNDB Contribution Levels  (Read 10272 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 17, 2009, 07:05:18 pm »

I just had an idea tonight as I was updating my own signature tags...

Would anyone be interested in custom signature tags denoting how many notes you have entered to the Serial Number Database?

For example, we could set some levels, like bronze, silver and gold at say 1000, 5000 and 20,000 notes. Or we could have more levels such as how martial arts uses the coloured belts.

I would like to come up with a way of adding some fun to the SNDB and maybe a way of sparking some competition.

Please post your thoughts!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 09:21:47 pm »

I would like to come up with a way of adding some fun to the SNDB and maybe a way of sparking some competition.
Please post your thoughts!

How about a free beer at Hooters for 10,000 numbers entered
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 09:23:37 pm by friedsquid »

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 10:34:04 pm »

Yeah, I'm kinda looking for things that I don't have to pay anything for. Remember that this site does not generate income and is 100% volunteer effort on the part of both myself, Paul, and all of the moderators.

Now, if some generous donors wanted to make monetary or in-kind donations that can be given away as prizes or something of that nature, then we might have something. But, I'm not asking for that because things just get a whole lot more complicated when money is involved.

So, back to the idea of signature tags or something else, let's hear your thoughts please!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Wizard1
  • Global Moderator
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Time,Peanut Butter Jelly Time!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 12:50:28 am »

Sounds like a cool idea =)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 01:50:25 pm »

custom signature tags denoting how many notes you have entered to the Serial Number Database

is not a bad idea (for carrot or reward), but I think an even greater incentive would be ...

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Emily5252
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 03:37:38 pm »

:) I think this Idea is wonderful. Although, I have always loved anything colorfull or sparkly. Good thinkin. Knowing what place  rank and how many bills I've entered does a darn good job at sparking my Competitive Streak. ;D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:17:49 am »

OK, so I've got a few posts generally in favour of the idea. I haven't seen anyone say "no, you're out to lunch, this is a stupid idea", so I guess we'll move forward here.

What sort of tiers should we use? How many?

Right now, the top five contributors of the SNDB have the following (rounded) total notes: 1350, 1750, 3700, 11,200, and 12,950. So ignoring the top two who are and probably will remain with the highest contributions for a while, we're looking at only three people with >1000 notes. But if we set that as the gold standard now, what happens in six months when 90 people have >1000?

Do we want three tiers similar to gold, silver and bronze, or do we want multiple tiers such as the martial arts belts? We can use any scheme that people want... Gemstones if that makes people excited. "Are you a topaz contributor, or a ruby contributor? Oh, you're just a quartz contributor. I'm sapphire."

Let's hear some ideas, folks! Once we nail something down, I'll see what I can make in Photoshop and put some examples out for comments.

Thanks

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 08:20:01 am »

How about

Bronze     10,000   Notes
Siver        100,000 Notes
Gold          1,000,000 Notes

Game one!!!!

MG
 ;D

Only my opinion.....but I think those amounts are WAY to high.....
unless of course this is going to be someones full time job :)

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 09:07:12 am »

I think the base level should be 250 notes, but the honour should be very basic. If we were doing precious metals, this one would be rust. For gemstones, think of sandstone. This low first threshold will allow most people to get in the game eventually even if they are not putting in a lot of notes.

How about this for the first several levels: 250; 500; 1,000; 2,500, 5,000; 10,000; 25,000; 50,000; 100,000;

We can always add levels later but I think that should be fine for the time being. It allows a bunch of people to be granted awards right away, and it also allows for lots of people to reach award levels in coming months.

What say you all?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 09:16:40 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 09:43:49 am »

Sounds more realistic

Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 10:01:17 am »

I too think that is realistic, and I love where this is going.  Good job everyone, I think this will be a great addition to our site.

Brent thanks for the hours you put in.

Contributors, thanks for the time you put in as well.

H

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:07:55 am »

Alright, so those are the levels... Now what symbols do we use? Precious metals? Gemstones? Martial arts belts? Military ranks?

I kinda like either the metals or the gemstones myself as that gives us lots of options and gives us a bunch of visuals to use, gemstones a bit more because a lot of metals are silver in appearance.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
1971HemiCuda
  • Wiki Editor
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1659
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 11:42:14 am »

I kinda like either the metals or the gemstones myself as that gives us lots of options and gives us a bunch of visuals to use, gemstones a bit more because a lot of metals are silver in appearance.
I think we should do a mix of metals and gemstones. Like: bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond (Thats just a few, but I think you see where I am going with this)

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:48:50 pm »

I think the base level should be 250 notes, but the honour should be very basic. If we were doing precious metals, this one would be rust. For gemstones, think of sandstone. This low first threshold will allow most people to get in the game eventually even if they are not putting in a lot of notes.

How about this for the first several levels: 250; 500; 1,000; 2,500, 5,000; 10,000; 25,000; 50,000; 100,000;

We can always add levels later but I think that should be fine for the time being. It allows a bunch of people to be granted awards right away, and it also allows for lots of people to reach award levels in coming months.

What say you all?

Well, since we are all collectors of Canadian paper money, how about using the denominations of the 1935 series to denote someone's contribution level to the database? There were 10 denominations in the 1935 series so that allows for 10 levels - but perhaps the $500 level should be more valuable than the $1,000 level?  :D

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 04:22:33 pm »

That's an interesting idea, venga, but it gets a bit blurry when you consider ordering them by denomination vs. value. I'm looking for something fairly simple and for which artwork is readily available.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length