Author
Topic: Where did all the AUG, AUH, AUJ's go ??  (Read 48479 times)
RS_dude
« on: January 02, 2004, 03:59:25 pm »

Hello everybody
I don't recall seeing any post on Thiessen & Crow  AUG, AUH, or  AUJ before. I'm curious on what preople think of these notes, has anybody seen any of these note before for sale ?? I have a low grade AUJ T & C & have seen 2 other AUJ's for sale, & also 1 AUH for sale. Have not seen an AUG for sale, as the catalogue say's there's only one known. My question is has anybody seen or owned any of these notes before. They gotta be out there some where.  What are your thought on this note ?? Hope to see your comments on this subject.  ???
     RS_dude
rarenote
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 10:28:03 pm »

The AU_ series, one of my favorite topics.

A little known fact is the serial number for the AUG T/C
at 8922714.  I have C/B 8645237 and 8940182 leaving 295945 between the two. I sure would like to see numbers to narrow the range if anyone has them.

I know 2 AUH numbers in T/C, 5169778 & 5656597. Now an interesting fact about the C/B notes is ser# 5274907 which falls right in between the two numbers i have for T/C. My highest bottom number C/B is 5046404 and lowest top number is 5859831. That leaves the range of the crossovers to be less than 813427 notes. May we assume that 40000 notes C/B were in the middle? May we assume that there were at least 2 groups of 40000 T/C notes?Usualy notes are printed 40000 in a stack. But were these annomolies single sheets or compleate printing blocks? The numbers I have for AUJ (below) MAY indicate 20000 notes to a printing stack.  I did have another T/C AUH number recorded from an aution sale but have misplaced it sorry.

AUJ I have C/B low series high number at 9051852. T/C I have a low # 9360491 and a high # at 9378750, 18259 appart. Then there is a high C/B series with the only # i know at 9769703. My belief would be that the high series C/B note would make its own rarety, I have seen one other note in the high series but do not have the number.

I am realy interested in knowing any numbers in these series, even if they are not close. This is so that if another important note surfaces that is out of the range, we will be that much closer to knowing what realy happened.

I will post what i have the rest of the way up to AUN at a later date. AUK is realy exciteing. I dont want to get this post too long and put you all to sleep ;}

L8R

Ron
Gary_W
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2004, 01:04:03 am »

The Dec. 2001 issue of the CPMS newsletter covered this issue in depth. This is also one of my favorite topics, although somewhat frustrating at times. There does seem to be a high level of interest in this area though. Recent notes offered on eBay from this changeover for example have been selling at multiples of current catalogue values. And that is for the more common signatures, not the rare ones.
Series AUJ C/B I have AUJ9407249. I would like to post a scan of this note but it was scanned with other notes in this series. The file size is close to 3 meg: not a chance with a 75KB limit. If you're interested in a scan send me your e-mail and I'll mail it to you.
I have the following notes from this changeover for those interested.
Edited: See H/L list - BWJM
Its a secondary collection that grows in spits and spurts, as I have other primary goals.
Gary
« Last Edit: January 04, 2004, 03:16:57 am by BWJM »
Lamb
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2004, 03:01:51 am »

hi, all
   indeed the switching of signatures in the $2 AU series is one of the most interesting topics in modern canadian papermoney. (It seems so long ago ) unfortunately, i have not come across the rare ones, like AUG,AUH, AUJ, AUK. In fact the only ones that i have a few unc are AUL, AUM, T/C.  i do have quite a few non-unc in both signatures,(again, in AUL, AUM, AUN) so if any of you need any info i would try my best to provide.   i wonder Paul would be kind enough establish a section on $2 bird ?
cheers

John
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 03:27:18 am »

I have an UNC pair of AUM. The low # is T-C and the high is C-B. Notice the spacing between the A-U-M.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2004, 02:42:03 pm »

For the time being, I've started a Birds $2 AU_ H/L list in the Bank of Canada Notes forum.

I've also populated this list with the numbers posted so far to this thread.

If you have any other numbers to add, please reply to this thread and I or another moderator will add to the list.

Because this is such a wacky couple of prefixes, I suppose that listing all numbers and signatures in order would be best.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 04:32:51 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
rarenote
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 03:27:02 pm »

My list is fairly extensive.

Do you have a prefered format for me to post the numbers?

ie: numerical order, by signature?

Would a word document work better? Or some other format?

Got enuff bandwidth? ;}

Ron
Moneyman
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2004, 03:36:26 pm »

I have the following UNC notes to add: :D

[edited: see H/L list - BWJM]

I have several more in circulated condition. I'll have to check the serial numbers to see if I have any higher or lower numbers.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 06:40:04 pm by BWJM »
Gary_W
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2004, 04:10:45 pm »

This is a great idea. Maybe as a group we can add to what is known about this changeover. Three more notes to add to this list.
AUJ7179530 and 31 C/B
AUK5321542 T/C
Gary
rarenote
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2004, 04:55:12 pm »

This is what i have up to AUJ.   I'm working on the rest.

Ron

« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 06:38:19 pm by BWJM »
Gary_W
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2004, 05:38:35 pm »

Rarenote. Can you please check the signatures on the AUJ notes notes you reported in the 936 and 937 range. AUJ 9378750 C/B has been listed as a T/C note in the CPMS journal. It had been previously assumed that AUJ9360000-9379999 were T/C signatures yet this doesn't match with your listing. This was based on 20000 notes or one ream of sheets.
Thanks
Gary
rarenote
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2004, 05:57:50 pm »

Sorry   I had made a mistake on the post   4 notes posted as C/B were in fact T/C

Ron
rarenote
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2004, 06:28:09 pm »

Here is what i have for AUK
16 changes   WOW!

!'s deleted by request ;}

« Last Edit: January 03, 2004, 06:38:51 pm by BWJM »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2004, 06:36:53 pm »

No need to wonder where they all went... rarenote's got them!  lol

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2004, 03:48:50 am »

OK, between a few of you people, we've got a ton of AU_ notes listed - great work so far!

Looks like the signatures are definitely well-distributed among AUK-AUN.

To those of you who have yet to get your serial numbers on the list, you can post to this thread or to a new thread in the Two Dollar Notes H/Ls forum or you can send them directly to me via email or PM.

Our objective is to see if we can't narrow down the changeovers a bit.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length