Author
Topic: Macklem-Carney $5 and 410 notes  (Read 91437 times)
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2013, 03:43:07 pm »

I wonder why they didn't go straight to issuing M/P $10 notes.  I'm sure they have their reasons.

Marc :)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2013, 10:31:57 am »

I wonder why they didn't go straight to issuing M/P $10 notes.  I'm sure they have their reasons.

I suspect that the BOC prepared new 10s well in advance of Mr. Carney's departure.  Because there are generally fewer 10s in circulation and the supply of Journey 10s was already depleted months ago, it needed to be replenished while Mr. Carney was still governor.

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2013, 07:28:47 pm »

I'd like to ask people who have found paper 5$ M/C notes what condition are they usually in?  From my sample of about 10 I got 3 of them in perfect crisp shape.  About 2-3 have a fold or two while the others are pretty rough.

FrontierMountie
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2013, 11:01:58 pm »

Haven't gotten any yet, I don't do much strap searching, and have never gotten any in my change.

From my sample of about 10 I got 3 of them in perfect crisp shape.

Obtained from the bank and/or did you bring some straps home? Or was it pure luck in change?

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2013, 01:12:54 am »

Well we have a winner-

HAE - M/C 9999999 has been posted on SNDB by no other than the forum master  BWJM :)

Not only a rare prefix but the only solid in that prefix/signature combo and the last note in that prefix

Way to go

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2013, 01:15:56 am »

It seems like the number of notes is slowly building up. Don't know what it means as it could be a result of more people searching the journey $5 notes in circulation or maybe new notes are entering circulation.

I saw some of the MC $5 prefix selling on e-bay for around $30-$50 in UNC condition. I would have thought they might sell for higher.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
FrontierMountie
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2013, 01:20:19 am »

HAE - M/C 9999999 has been posted on SNDB by no other than the forum master  BWJM :)

Now we really know the High for the HAE Prefix ;D Fantastic and lucky find, BWJM.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:39 am »

I'd love to claim ownership of that one, but alas I cannot.  It was entered on behalf of someone else who is remaining anonymous, along with a second HAE.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Tom-Bear
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2013, 10:14:03 am »

In a recent search of 100 $5's, I found three M/C notes. All were well circulated, the nicest being perhaps a VF at best. The worst one was exceptionally dirty with many creases and folds. In my opinion, all three looked like they had been in circulation for quite a long time.

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »

Obtained from the bank and/or did you bring some straps home? Or was it pure luck in change?

The three uncirculated ones were from the bank  :) The rest were pure luck in change.

It seems like the number of notes is slowly building up. Don't know what it means as it could be a result of more people searching the journey $5 notes in circulation or maybe new notes are entering circulation.

Yes the number of notes is slowly increasing but it is still very small when compared to other prefix series (HP*, even the new polymer HB*).  And there are also quite a few gaps with the highs and lows.  Example as of this writing the lowest number for HAL that has been found is 0854218.  That's quite high of a number to be a low but it could be that not all of the notes have been released yet still after the introduction of polymer 5$ notes.  There may be even more gaps in the middle of the prefix that we cannot see too since we only know the low and high (example: no notes have been reported between HAL 5000000 and 7000000).  Please note I'm just using those two numbers as an example I don't know what the gaps are.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2013, 02:46:45 pm »

Since September 18, here are the number of M-C $5 notes entered into the SNDB:
HAE  3
HAF  19
HAG  71
HAH  11
HAJ  2
HAK  37
HAL  1

I would like to make an observation.  The notes being offered online have been ordinary notes.  Compare that to the polymer series notes for which quite a few radar notes have been found.  I'm not convinced that the Journey series bricks are getting out into circulation.  It has been only a month since the polymers were released, so there is still plenty of time, but I get the feeling that a lot of unopened Journey notes will be returned to the BoC and replaced with polymers, even though the BoC has told businesses they don't have to do this.

No hay banda  
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2013, 12:49:22 pm »

HAE - M/C 9999999 has been posted on SNDB   

One heck of a neat find...wonder if it was a single find or in a brick...I guess if it was in an HAE brick we will HAE notes being sold shortly...maybe 1000 of them ....should be some for everyone :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2013, 02:04:32 pm »

I was told it was found in circulation.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »

I was told it was found in circulation.
Thanks Brent...I guess the hunt is still on :)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

Since September 18, here are the number of M-C $5 notes entered into the SNDB:
HAE  3
HAF  19
HAG  71
HAH  11
HAJ  2
HAK  37
HAL  1

The current bar graph (as of 12/14) -which is suppose to track additions to the SNDB by prefix -reports:
HAE 0 (no reports of additional HAE in past 2 months)
HAF 19
HAG 67
HAH 10
HAJ 0 (ie: no reports)
HAK 19
HAL 0 (ie: no reports)

I am curious why the bar graph seems dated now.  Is the bar graph manually generated by a CPMF moderator or is it suppose to be automated and there is a glitch?

Login with username, password and session length