Author
Topic: Signature changeover on polymer fives  (Read 73637 times)
Tristan2010
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 10:39:24 pm »

I just received a reply, the serial number is HBH0726540. I believe the seller took a random picture and used it for his auction since this serial number should have the newest signatures. I just saw another auction by a different seller using the same picture. I'll keep looking for the Macklen-Carney notes.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 09:35:14 pm »

Still no Carney $5s reported in actual circulation. I wonder if they were destroyed, and if so, if any managed to escape.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 11:01:56 pm »

I wonder if they were destroyed

That's what I'm beginning to think.  I wouldn't be surprised one bit.

That being said, while I have a consec. pair of each, I've yet to see a single poly $5 or $10 in a cash drawer or in anyone's hands at a store.

Marc :)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 01:35:02 am »

I've yet to see a single poly $5 or $10 in a cash drawer or in anyone's hands at a store.

Already out there. Got several with folds in them. Also getting mixed notes some old some new.

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Tom-Bear
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 09:00:17 am »

I got my first poly $5 in change yesterday at the LCBO. It was already a well-circulated note. I haven't seen a poly $10 yet.

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 04:59:40 pm »

I've seen a few stores with some in their register.  Its funny because a cashier was starting her shift and when she opened the register was surprised to see them and took a minute to look at them all fascinated.  But all the ones I have received in change already have a fold or two in them, the only ones that I get uncirculated are from the bank so far.

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 01:30:35 pm »

I too am inclined to believe all of the missing M-C Frontier $5s were destroyed, but if that is the case, we are talking about a lot of notes.

220 million notes per prefix; with HBA-HBF and about half of HBG, that's about 1.65 billion notes, or 16.5 million bundles. Considering each bundle takes up 85 cubic cm of space, that's 1.4 billion cubic cm, or 1,400 cubic metres.

1,400 cubic metres would fill more than eight rail boxcars. That is one heck of a lot of notes to destroy.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2013, 02:07:57 pm »

Another hypothesis:  Although it's a very odd point to begin, maybe they started at HBG?

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2013, 02:09:06 pm »

220 million notes per prefix;

???

More like 220 million notes per denomination letter, not per prefix.  So HBA-HBZ would have 220 million notes in total.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 02:11:37 pm by mmars »

No hay banda  
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2013, 02:12:15 pm »

Still no Carney $5s reported in actual circulation. I wonder if they were destroyed, and if so, if any managed to escape.

I too am inclined to believe all of the missing M-C Frontier $5s were destroyed, but if that is the case, we are talking about a lot of notes.

I would not jump to conclusions about the M/C Frontier $5 as its only been released a couple weeks ago and there's still plenty of time for the signature change-over to surface.  There have been more $10 prefixes released than the $5 even though the $10 is probably less used & in less demand.  They have a lot of $5 prefixes yet to be released & keep in mind we've experienced buried prefixes before (-in fact it almost seems to be the norm these days).

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2013, 03:22:21 pm »

I would not jump to conclusions about the M/C Frontier $5 as its only been released a couple weeks ago and there's still plenty of time for the signature change-over to surface.

I agree with you and I hope it's true.  Maybe they wanted to release the Poloz signatures first when everyone is looking at the notes for the first time.  I'm sure the M/C ones will be released very soon now that the hype is starting to die down and people are getting used to seeing them more often.

coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 09:00:32 pm »

My take on this, there are Mark Carney $5 polymer notes.   

When these notes were released, Stephen Poloz launched both notes earlier this November.  To give him some credit for the launch, the Bank of Canada decided to issue $5 notes bearing his signature.  Considering Poloz is the head of the BoC, it would have been awkward to have Carney's name on everything, including the big blow-up cardboard scans of the polymer notes, and on the physical notes at the official launch date.

It will just be a matter of time for the Carney/Macklem $5 notes to appear.  The possibility for the Bank of Canada to have destroyed the new $5 polymer notes for just having Carney's signature would be a publicity nightmare for the government, for wasting taxpayer's money.   If Carney's signature was that offensive on the new notes, then the Bank of Canada would have not distributed Carney's $10 polymer notes.

I think, and it's my opinion....when Carney unexpectingly announced his resignation, and after some time to find his replacement, Poloz eventually got the top job.  I believe the Bank of Canada decided to change course with production and focused on getting $5 notes bearing his signature, instead of the $10 notes for the inaugural launch by Poloz himself.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:27:34 am by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
FogDevil
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 02:58:29 pm »

There have been more $10 prefixes released than the $5 even though the $10 is probably less used & in less demand.

Do keep in mind that even though there have been more $10 prefixes than $5 prefixes reported to the SNDB doesn't mean there are more $10 bills than $5 bills distributed at this point.  There may be millions of the existing reported prefixes yet to appear in banks anywhere in Canada, whereas there may be a larger quantity of new $5 bills in circulation despite the smaller number of prefixes.

It's been nearly 3 weeks since I got my hands on one Polymer $10 bill, and sadly I haven't seen one since.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:59 pm »

Got my first poly $10 yesterday at the cafeteria of the Royal Vic hospital.  The guy's cash had a bunch of new $10s.  A couple doctors in front of me also got one and were ooh-ing and ahh-ing over them.

Still no poly $5 yet.

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

I spoke with a cashier at a financial institution a short time ago, and she was made aware of a letter her institution received from the Bank of Canada regarding the new polymer $5 and $10 notes.  She told me that the new $5 notes were not originally scheduled for release until some time in 2014, but that the release date had been moved up to coincide with the release of the $10 notes.  If this is true, it could be indicative that there are still plenty of new Journey $5 notes that could be released.  She said the communication from the Bank indicated that there is no withdrawal of either denomination of Journey notes taking place, so the introduction of the polymer notes is likely to be slow.

We must keep in mind that polymer notes are not just being dropped onto the public, adding to the glut of notes already in circulation.  For every new note released, an old note should be withdrawn (roughly).  The Macklem-Carney polymer $5 notes could have been put aside and the newest Macklem-Poloz notes released first to fill a small demand.  There are still plenty of Journey $5 notes not accounted for, and it is unclear how many will reach circulation.  It's still very much a guessing game what will happen to those older series of notes.  I am doubtful that the Bank will be sending those out at the same time they are issuing polymer notes, but there could be large inventories of older notes already in the distribution system sitting around waiting to be opened and circulated, meaning that unless the Bank changes direction and creates a recall of older notes, those notes in the private distribution system will get out eventually.

Ironically, I've had no trouble getting polymer $5 notes.  They are plentiful here.

No hay banda  

Login with username, password and session length