Author
Topic: Signature changeover on polymer fives  (Read 73613 times)
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 09:00:50 pm »

I don't think there will be any recall of the old $5 or $10s just quite yet, especially during the holiday season when cash flows are high and banks can't ship out everything old. The $20s still haven't been withdrawn after a year, and a lot of paper $20s I'm seeing are pretty tattered. Since the $5s and $10s don't last that long in circulation, it only makes sense they're going to still circulate them.

Heck, today in a cash withdrawal the teller gave me all Journey $100s even though they are supposed to ship those back. Some banks are still giving out crisp Journey 5s, but still no M/C.  :(
PaperorPlastic
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 10:50:35 pm »

Some banks are still giving out crisp Journey 5s, but still no M/C.  :(

It's been quite the opposite for me.  I've found about 10 in the last month (before that I hadn't found one in at least several months).  Most are in alright shape with a fold or two in them but 3 of them that I got were crisp which was a nice surprise.  Those crisp ones that I got tell me there must still be some that haven't been shipped out to banks yet.

Back to the signature changeover it's only a matter of time.  They're probably trying to finish up releasing the remaining Journey notes while at the same time releasing the Poloz notes (since he is the current governor).  Then the M/C polymers should start appearing later on when new notes are needed to replace older notes.

Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2013, 11:17:43 pm »

The $20s still haven't been withdrawn after a year

If I am not mistaken it will be much easier to replace the $5 and $10 journey compared to the 20.

The approximate ratio of total $10:$5$20 in circulation is as follows:

1:1.8:7.1

So there are approximately 3 times more $20 than $5 and 7 times more $20 than $10 in circulation at any given point in time.

I wonder if that makes any difference

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »

My optimistic opinion.......

As the Mackem Carney $5 notes were printed they were put into the big vault from back to front, with the front of the vault containing exclusively Mackem Poloz notes.   Now that the notes are being released the notes are being taken from the vault from front to back. 
Sort of like baggage on the airplane ... first in, last out.

8)  MZ   8)

mmars
  • Very Senior Member
  • money is gregarious
« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2013, 11:47:26 pm »

My optimistic opinion.......

As the Mackem Carney $5 notes were printed they were put into the big vault from back to front, with the front of the vault containing exclusively Mackem Poloz notes.   Now that the notes are being released the notes are being taken from the vault from front to back. 
Sort of like baggage on the airplane ... first in, last out.

8)  MZ   8)

Yes, that is a theory that has been applied to other series.  However, wouldn't we expect to see the Macklem-Poloz $5 notes released in reverse order?  The notes just after the HBG changeover should be at the back of the vault, too.  Alternately, is this a sign that very few polymer $5 notes have been printed, and they will make more as the Journey series is gradually withdrawn over time?

No hay banda  
robb4640
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2013, 05:47:47 pm »

:)
The first Carney $5 has been reported now in Edmonton, keep a watchful eye on the signatures...

AZ
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2013, 06:26:43 pm »

The first Carney $5 has been reported now in Edmonton, keep a watchful eye on the signatures...

It may still be an M/P note as the changeover has not been confirmed.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2013, 07:14:45 pm »

It's an M/C note - a scan was sent in.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 09:35:02 pm »

If you can read french, this article say that the BoC did release 2 $5 last year, but only the M/P signature one made it into circulation.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/canada/201402/10/01-4737250-deux-nouveaux-billets-de-5.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=lapresseaffaires_LA5_nouvelles_98718_accueil_POS22
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 09:47:39 pm by Martin »

PaperorPlastic
« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2014, 10:11:50 pm »

If you can read french, this article say that the BoC did release 2 $5 last year, but only the M/P signature one made it into circulation.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economie/canada/201402/10/01-4737250-deux-nouveaux-billets-de-5.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=lapresseaffaires_LA5_nouvelles_98718_accueil_POS22

Good find on that article.  I find it interesting how they also mention that there are plans to print more 100$, 50$, 20$ and 10$ banknotes but no mention of 5$ notes.

Though according to the SNDB there appears to be 2 reported M/C polymer 5$ notes (excluding the one BWJM was able to see before the release).  It looks as if maybe the M/C notes got pushed to the back by the M/P notes or the BOC recalled the M/C ones and a few bricks slipped by and got delivered to banks.  We will have to wait and see...  >:(

suretteda
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2014, 11:20:19 pm »

This is not one, but two new $ 5 bills that were launched last year, although only cut signed by the governor Stephan Poloz was put into circulation on November 7. The same day, the Bank of Canada has also launched a new $ 10 bill, which covers the former signing Mark Carney.

The banknote bearing the image of Wilfrid Laurier was unveiled on April 30, simultaneously in Ottawa by then Governor Mark Carney and Finance Minister Jim Flaherty and the International Space Station (ISS) by Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield, ticket in hand, in describing the main features.

Mr. Hadfield was aboard the ISS since December 21. Or he took off with the note in his luggage, or it has been supplied by American astronaut Chris Cassidy, who joined the ISS on March 29, one month before the launch of the new cut.

New governor

Mr. Poloz was appointed Governor on May 2, two days after the launch of the $ 5 bill, and took office on June 3

On the site of the Bank of Canada, specimens of new $ 5 bills also bear the signature of Mark Carney.

Under the Law on Access to Information, La Presse has tried to find the additional costs for making new plates signed by Mr. Poloz printer Company Canadian Bank Note (CBN) and storage costs already stored tickets ornate calligraphy Carney.

Information provided will make no mention. Complaints were brought to the Office of the Information Commissioner.

In the documentation provided by the Bank, we learn that even when, on 30 May, four days before the inauguration of Mr. Poloz, the Bank entered into communication with the printer to coordinate CBN etching the signature of Mr. Poloz.

Changing signature required

In another email, it says that the change of signature is required to comply with the law.

There is also a question of ensuring that the new signature has the same line as the template and Senior Deputy Governor Tiff Macklem.

It highlights as Mr. Carney had been correct when plates signed by Mr. Macklem had to replace that of Paul Jenkins, who had left the Bank in July 2010.

The signature of Mr. Jenkins remains however on the $5 and $10 in the Canadian Journey series, still widely in circulation today, that Mr. Macklem replacing on the latest $20 bills this last issue cotton paper. The greenback polymer was launched in February 2012.

The launch of the polymer series was originally intended to fight against counterfeiters, reached easily counterfeit notes $50 and $100, to the point where many merchants refused to.

In addition to the issue of the Bank of Canada from June 20, 2011, Charles Spencer explains that "the initial cost of polymer notes is almost double that paper banknotes [...]. However, the expected long-term reduce the need for reprinting and replacing worn "banknotes.

This means that the cuts signed by Mark Carney are promised a good life, unless they are removed from the circulation by the end of their useful life. However, this would reduce the seigniorage income of the Bank.

However, the correspondence between the Bank and its printer also reveals that new notes $10, $20, $50 and $100 must be printed this year, although launch dates have been redacted.

Presumably, the schedule will be delayed. The other signatory tickets, Tiff Macklem, resigned on December 5 and his successor has not yet been named.

His signature on banknotes last she as long as Mr. Jenkins?

Otherwise, how the Bank should she spend to replace it?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2014, 08:33:17 pm »

Google translate, huh? ;)

Otherwise, how the Bank should she spend to replace it?

Ouch...

Marc :)
Rupiah
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:11 pm »

Good find on that article.  I find it interesting how they also mention that there are plans to print more 100$, 50$, 20$ and 10$ banknotes.

The President's message in the last CPMS Journal and the analysis by researchers indicated that they had information from the Bank that all the $50 Polymers that are needed have been printed.

I wonder who is correct?

Wonder what paper money would say if it could talk?
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2014, 11:14:07 pm »

Still only two Carney polymer $5s reported in the SNDB after four months of circulation - does anyone have any more info about the missing notes?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
AZ
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2014, 11:31:57 am »

I have looked at the polymer series prefixes and compared the number of notes issued until now with the BOC banknote liabilities for 2012. The expectation is that these numbers are close.

$100: The number of circulating prefixes (33) matches the BOC liabilities (330 mln notes).
$50: Out of 28 prefixes printed, we have not seen two (AMH and AMJ), and AMG, AMK and AML have been issued only partially. Again, the numbers are close.
$20: The paper twenties are still being replaced. 74 of possible 86 prefixes have been printed and 72 issued.
$10: The number of printed prefixes (11) is close to the liabilities (120 mln notes). 10 of these prefixes are already circulating.
$5: This is where it gets interesting. At least 18 prefixes of M/P notes have been printed, and 14 issued. If M/C HAL-HAZ and HBA-HBH were printed too, we have 36 prefixes printed, way more than 23 prefixes required to replace the paper notes. I still think that we will see all of the 18.5 M/C prefixes in circulation, but it will not be soon, perhaps in a year or two.

Login with username, password and session length