Author
Topic: Torex Auction Feb. 2020  (Read 8300 times)
regent
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2020, 01:02:14 pm »

The first edition of The charlton standard catalogue of canadian government paper money was issued in 1984
the value of 50 1937 osborne unc was $ 3500

the first time charlton is talking about the 50 1937 osborne was in the 8 th edition of standard catalogue of canadian coins tokens and paper money and the value for the 50 was 75 $

Regent  CPMS Life Member 59

docstrange
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2020, 03:31:50 pm »

thanks again for posting those notes
Hounddog
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 05:09:33 pm »

Here’s a couple pages from the 1962 book.

Cheers, Bill

« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 05:15:30 pm by Hounddog »

[img
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 05:26:07 pm »

couple pages from the 1962 book.

Wow (again) thanks for sharing Bill.  If we could only time travel to back then...

friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 05:56:33 pm »

If we could only time travel to back then...

Yes... you could buy your own catalogue  :D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
AL-Bob
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 06:04:48 pm »

You could even buy a Gordon-Towers $1000 for $1050.  Those were the days!

I'm guessing those prices were mostly made up.  It's one thing to see an Unc Osborne $50 listed for $75 in a catalogue. Or an Unc French $500 for $600. It's another thing to actually find one in the wild even if you could travel back to 1962.

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 04:13:07 pm »

Ok then; i apologize for going off topic and it was not my intention to highjack the thread....  If anything I was just trying to get some conversations going since this site is sometimes slow moving.

There are alot of nice notes there that are rare regardless of grade.  There is a large variety for every collector type.  Another notable item are some approved 1935 french  proofs   ???

I own a 1935 $500 French Front & Back proof I bought about 15 years ago and probably paid too much for...

Bob
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:41 am »

A couple of points about catalogues and pricing in the old days.  The first comprehensive Charlton catalogue devoted exclusively to paper money was published in 1980 (I exclude the ca. 1955 edition because it only listed government notes, and no Bank of Canada after 1935).  In it we find the 1937 Osborne $50 at $1,400 in UNC.  That catalogue was eventually expanded into the three we have today, Government, Chartered and Merchant.
   Secondly, I do not agree that the prices in early catalogues (1960s) were just made up.  I can tell you three anecdotes which will explain.  A friend of mine bought a gem Unc 1937 Osborne $50 from a dealer, I think about 1969, and the $75 price sounds about right.  He had a talent for picking quality notes, and it is one of the few surviving gem uncs in the hobby - most are pressed EF or AU notes, regardless of what the slab may say.  Anyway, if I recall the rest of the story correctly, his acquisition was belittled by more experienced collectors who assured him he overpaid.
   Another story, which I believe to be true, concerns Jim Charlton who had picked up a couple of 1935 English $500s about 1960.  He tried without success to sell them for $525 each, and ended up depositing them at his bank.  One needs to understand that $500 was a lot of money back then and way out of reach for most collectors (especially this one - I was making a whopping 35¢ an hour - before there were any minimum wage laws.)
   Finally a story about a 1935 English $100.  I know it's true because it happened to me.  In those days I was more interested in chartered bank notes (still am).  I'd picked up the note for a little over face, and since hobby dollars were hard to come by while paying down a mountain of student loan debt and a mortgage, I consigned it to an auction.  It sold for a whopping $110, and after the commission was deducted, I was left with exactly the face value.  I'd have had my money quicker had I simply deposited the note.
   Anyway, that's how it was - from one who was there.

Collecting Canadian since 1955
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2020, 01:42:08 pm »

Secondly, I do not agree that the prices in early catalogues (1960s) were just made up.  I can tell you three anecdotes which will explain.
-I agree with your sentiment and enjoyed your anecdotes (it's so easy for us to lose perspective).
Finally a story about a 1935 English $100.  I know it's true because it happened to me.  In those days I was more interested in chartered bank notes (still am).  I'd picked up the note for a little over face, and since hobby dollars were hard to come by while paying down a mountain of student loan debt and a mortgage, I consigned it to an auction.  It sold for a whopping $110, and after the commission was deducted, I was left with exactly the face value.  I'd have had my money quicker had I simply deposited the note.
-What a terrific story which drives home your point.  (the only ones who seem to make a profit are the auctioneers)
I myself have traded in several older 1954 notes some of which could have been collectible.  I couldn't afford a catalogue when I first started tucking a few notes away (which in itself seemed crazy & extravagant at the time).  I often used this hoard-like collection of banknotes to buy elusive notes I wanted (like a Devil's Face $20 at a dealer's stand at our local mall).  I kept using my little collection to buy a more eclectic set of notes b/c that was the only spare money I had to make such purchases (& I got access to older library Charlton catalogues which informed me what to look for).   It wasn't until much later in life that I finally could start using regular money to buy collectible banknotes.
Looks like session 1 of Torex starts tomorrow. Many circulated listings. Anyone interested?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 01:50:37 pm by walktothewater »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2020, 06:08:42 pm »

Here’s a couple pages from the 1962 book.

Cheers, Bill

Wow, 1935 $50 Osborne, $65 in UNC. Funnily enough, time travel that far back isn't necessary, my 1982 Charlton shows the same value for the same note in UNC.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
wagnert89
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2020, 06:32:27 pm »

The Torex is in 11 days, they have a new auction feature on Mondays now with common items and tomorrow will be the first one.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:59:08 pm by wagnert89 »
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2020, 09:23:15 am »

How did it go? Anyone who went care to comment? (thanks)

Login with username, password and session length