Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59544 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #135 on: July 16, 2021, 05:33:27 pm »

July 16th finds:
A load of high denomination notes and a radar!

Well, the banknote gods smiled on me today.  I went to see one of my bank tellers and when I got to the branch, he said that “someone had just deposited a whole bunch of old $100s today”.

I searched through his entire stack of culls and pulled 17 multicoloured $100s, some birds 100s and a few journey $5s and $10s.  To top it off, he had six rolls of pennies too!  I turned down 15 more multicoloured $100s because they were torn and had writing on them.

The highlight of this lot is a 3 digit radar journey $5 in uncirculated condition.

Enjoy!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #136 on: July 19, 2021, 09:59:28 pm »

July 19th finds:
It’s raining $1 notes!

One of my regular banks called me today and the teller told me to come in and “check out this huge pile of one dollar bills that a customer just deposited”.

Well, I had to check it out and I was not disappointed!

The score consisted of 230 1973 $1 notes, 200 of which were consecutive, 14  x 1867-1967 centennial notes, 5 regular numbered centennial notes and 14 1954 modified $1 notes.

If that wasn’t enough, the teller also gave me a birds $1000 and a birds $20.

It’s hard to choose a highlight from this lot, but it would have to be the 200 consecutive notes.

The teller counted them by hand when she accepted them from the customer and then counted them by hand again when she gave them to me. That’s why the notes don’t have paper straps around them…the teller put the consecutive notes into an envelope instead!   She said that this “old guy” has been depositing a lot of old cash and that she had given me what he deposited during previous pick ups.  This might explain why I got so many uncirculated notes from this branch in the past.

The teller said that she would look out for this “old guy” and will call me again if he ever deposits more notes.

Needless to say, I thanked this teller with a nice Tim’s gift card…

I am once again blown away by what people are depositing to the banks…

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:15:40 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2021, 10:37:42 pm »

July 19th finds:
It’s raining $1 notes!

One of my regular banks called me today and the teller told me to come in and “check out this huge pile of one dollar bills that a customer just deposited”.

Well, I had to check it out and I was not disappointed!

The score consisted of 230 1973 $1 notes, 200 of which were consecutive, 14  x 1867-1967 centennial notes, 5 regular numbered centennial notes and 14 1954 modified $1 notes.

If that wasn’t enough, the teller also gave me a birds $1000 and a birds $20.

It’s hard to choose a highlight from this lot, but it would have to be the 200 consecutive notes.

The teller counted them by hand when she accepted them from the customer and then counted them by hand again when she gave them to me. That’s why the notes don’t have paper straps around them…the teller put the consecutive notes into an envelope instead!   She said that this “old guy” has been depositing a lot of old cash and that she had given me what he deposited during previous pick ups.  This might explain why I got so many uncirculated notes from this branch in the past.

The teller said that she would look out for this “old guy” and will call me again if he ever deposits more notes.

Needless to say, I thanked this teller with a nice Tim’s gift card…

I am once again blown away by what people are depositing to the banks…

Enjoy!

Update: July 23rd…

I searched through the 200 consecutive notes, looking for the “small B” variety.  (Thanks to Cbeaulieu for the heads up!). Unfortunately, all of the serial numbers were the “big B” type, but I did find a BAX replacement note in the sequence!
I did not notice it when the teller was counting out the notes!

It is so cool that after 30 plus years, this replacement note is still in its original position in the bundle!
BFF 2546615 was the defective note.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:39:33 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2021, 10:46:48 pm »

July 23rd find:

I stopped into my regular bank to withdraw some normal spending money and the nice teller showed me three 1975 $100 notes.  I took the best one and left the other two that were heavily soiled and worn.
It has some hard creases and I’ll bet that they were inflicted just recently by someone counting the notes prior to deposit.

It always made me cringe to watch people crumple brand new paper notes back in the day…  :-[

PS:  Yes, I still use cash! :D

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 10:48:22 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2021, 08:07:37 pm »

July 26th finds:

I decided to stop in at a random bank while out running errands today.  The friendly teller offered me five birds $20 notes in AU condition and a pair of uncirculated journey $20s.

I also stopped by the post office and picked up my latest purchase…A $1 bank note sheet that I bought for a VERY reasonable price.

Enjoy!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2021, 09:28:43 pm »

July 27th finds:

The bank that yielded my finds on July 19th called me back today and the teller said that “the same old man from last week just deposited a bunch more $1s.”

I immediately went to the branch and picked up 198 $1 notes, most of which were uncirculated.

The interesting thing was that these notes were from the same brick as the 200 consecutive notes I found in the previous week.

All notes were from the BFF series (all “big B” type) but there were shorter runs of consecutive notes for a total of 198.

Curiously, there was one single note in the lot and one run that had a note missing (BFF2546000-2546076…note #2546075 was missing.)

An educated guess was that there was a replacement note where the missing note was in the original bundle that had been removed. 

As shown in a previous post, I did find a replacement note in one of the consecutively numbered bundles that came from the same brick as these notes.

I did not show every single note in this lot because I wanted to minimize handling of the paper but I did show the first and last notes of each run.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 09:40:21 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #141 on: July 27, 2021, 09:33:24 pm »

July 19th and 27th $1 notes together again…398 of them!

A partial reunion of the brick…🤣

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #142 on: August 01, 2021, 04:33:29 pm »

August 1st:

I went to the post office to pick up this note that I purchased for my collection today.  It’s a low numbered multicoloured $1 from the first ever brick of notes issued in 1973!

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 09:41:53 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #143 on: August 09, 2021, 08:37:04 pm »

August 9th finds:

Today’s finds from one bank were a mixed bag; but there were some really nice notes in this lot including consecutive journey $5s and a really nice JA multicoloured $100 note.

I managed to score a $1000 birds note today and I have noticed that there are fewer of them in the cull piles at the banks lately.

There is one circulated BFF 1973 $1 note.  This is interesting because of my previous finds of large runs of consecutive BFF series notes.  Maybe I should start collecting $1 notes from the BFF prefix!  🤣

Enjoy!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #144 on: August 26, 2021, 08:44:46 pm »

August 26th finds:

After many days with no finds, a local bank surprised me with this nice little group of notes.

I was very pleased to pick up a 1937 $5, a nice 1979 $5, a 1954 modified $20 repeater note and a nice birds $2 as highlights of this lot.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #145 on: August 27, 2021, 02:34:00 pm »

August 27th finds:

I paid a visit to one of my regular banks and managed to rescue a bunch of notes and $8.50 in penny rolls!

Highlights of this lot include nine consecutive journey $50s…(remember when these notes were as common as sand?), a nice group of pre security journey $10s, some nicer birds $20s and $100.

The notes are still out there…you just have to go out and get them!

Happy hunting!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2021, 04:38:37 pm »

August 31st finds:

I dropped by one of my regular banks today and the teller said that she only had a few things.

I scored four nickel dollars, three fifty cent pieces and a 2017 $10.

Enjoy!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2021, 11:36:37 pm »

September 2nd finds:

One of my banks called me and said that there was a load of old notes that had come in today.  When I went in to pick them up, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and variety of this haul.  It appears to be a collection dump because there were:

114x 1973 $1s in EF to UNC condition, 52 birds $2s in the same condition, a journey $20, a 1969 $20, two modified 1954 $20 and three 1937 $20s!

Highlights of this lot in my opinion are the 1937 $20s, and the ten EAK prefix $1 notes which are lithographed back notes in the 3-4 million number range.  Also interesting is the 1937 $20 with a date stamp of January 6th, 1956 which is after the 1954 modified portrait notes were released into circulation. 
This goes to show you that notes from previous series endured in circulation long after a new series was introduced.  It must have been an interesting time to be checking your change…one could find devil face notes, 1937 notes and maybe the occasional 1935 series note in circulation back in the mid 1950’s!

My theory is that somebody put away a few notes here and there when they got crispy money from the bank.  Maybe someone socked away a few of the older series notes when they got one from the bank or in change.  Who really knows?  But it is fascinating to think about the reasons why these bank note have survived this long…

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 11:46:51 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #148 on: September 13, 2021, 10:34:53 pm »

September 13th finds:

Lots and lots of $100 notes, a nice $1000 and $2s galore!
All came from one bank.  Highlights of this lot include a journey $100 3 digit radar, short run journey $100 prefixes EJZ and BJZ, consecutive runs of journey $100s and a nice birds $1000.

Enjoy!

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #149 on: September 28, 2021, 08:47:13 pm »

September 26th find:  a collection purchase!

I managed to acquire this small collection over the weekend.  The lady was going to cash most of the paper money and coins in at the bank!

While I was looking at the notes, she brought out more coins and I ended up buying everything!

This haul includes Canadian and US silver, US clad half dollars and red seal $2 notes, Canadian nickel 50 cent and $1 coins, RCM specimen sets from 1998 and 99the 1998 90th anniversary proof coin set, a millennium quarter set, centennial $1 notes, birds $2 notes and 1973 $1s, US buffalo nickels, a large US cent, Canadian cents both small and large, tombac nickels, George V nickels, 12 sided nickels, a Newfoundland cent and 1937 bank of Canada notes.

Perhaps the highlight of the lot is a complete cent collection that includes the 1923 and 1925 cents!…Somebody even wrote prices beside these two cents in the album…

There is even a coin set from 1973 but the quarter is missing…I’ll bet it was a large bust!

Oh well, you can’t win them all, eh?

Dean

Login with username, password and session length