Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59382 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #195 on: April 02, 2022, 01:23:10 pm »

April 2nd finds:

2 banks, 2 scores!

I went to 2 banks today and I managed to pick up a few paper notes.

Bank #1:  The teller was nice enough to retrieve $350 worth of old journey & birds notes from the safe.  I bought them all since I did not know him and he was nice enough to go out of his way for me.

This haul included
1 birds $100, 2 birds $50s (one in terrible shape that will be going back to the bank), five journey $20s, four journey $10s and 2 journey $5s*

Originally, the teller had given me 5 x journey $10s, one without the security strip, prefix FEE.  On closer inspection, it turned out to be a counterfeit note!  The ink was runny and it had water stains where the ink had come off.  This is a note of caution to all bank note hunters to be on the alert for fake notes when you are picking up bank notes...Even the tellers at the bank are fooled!

When I told the teller that the $10 note was fake, he immediately exchanged it for 2 x journey $5s.

Bank #2:  This was a BMO...I don't even have an account with them, but I thought I'd go in cold and ask.  Well, it paid off this time because the teller gave me one birds $100 and a worn 1954 $20!

While today's finds aren't really special, it just goes to show you that the notes are still out there, if you're willing to look for them.

If you look closely at the birds $100s, does anybody else notice a change in the intensity of the brown ink between the AJ- and BJ- series?  The later Birds $100s seem more heavily inked than the earlier ones.

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 01:32:01 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #196 on: April 09, 2022, 01:51:37 pm »

April 9th finds:

Another diamond in the rough.

I went to one bank today and they offered me some paper money.  The teller tried to talk me out of taking them because she said they are "in really bad shape".  She was correct; most of them are truly worthy of the shredder, but there was one decent birds $2 and a Coyne-Towers signed 1954 Devil's face $10 changeover note, series E/D.

You never know what's hiding in these mutilated bank note piles...

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #197 on: April 14, 2022, 12:37:11 am »

April 13th find:

No vintage notes today, but I scored a 4 digit radar note from a cash withdrawal today.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2022, 11:13:20 am »

April 15th finds:

The finds from my banks have been drying up, but it seems like the finds are beginning to pour out of the ATM!
I got a 2017 commemorative $10 in nice shape, FTH and FTN short run 2013 series $10s and a polymer $100 replacement note!

When one door closes, another one always opens…

The question is: are polymer notes worth keeping?

Enjoy!
Dean

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2022, 03:41:34 pm »

The question is: are polymer notes worth keeping?

- I think that they have to be in pretty good condition to keep unless ultra rare: like the Macklem-Carney FTH $10 (though Charlton nor the price panel seem to think so but only 13 notes reported), the BSW $20, the AMK $50 & the EKZ $100. Even the EKY $100, the M-C GHD $50 (change-over) & the W-P FVP $20 (change-over) are all tough & would be nice to have in VF to AU.

I think the CDF Commemorative & the Wilkins-Poloz FFE $10 will be good to keep in UNC (& its likely the high IND $5 with the Wilkins-Macklem signature) are going to be keepers too. Then any special serial numbers are nice (polymer or not).

You have had some amazing hauls Dean (especially those 37's and DF's). I know I would be pretty happy if I had a fraction of what you've recovered. It doesn't really matter how nice I ask they always look at me like I've just asked whether I can have a sleep-over in their vault (& it just ain't going to happen). In fact, the nice guy who let me go through their damaged pouch ONCE -I have never seen there again!  :'(

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #200 on: April 25, 2022, 09:03:03 pm »

April 25th find:

I seem to be getting more finds from the ATM these days rather than the mutilated note piles, but today, I got another polymer $100 sheet replacement note EKW2190381.

Unfortunately, it has a torn corner plus staple holes and wear, so it unlikely to command a premium.  Too bad, because it is one of the last replacement notes...

If anybody is interested in it for face value plus postage, please let me know ASAP or it will be returned to circulation.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #201 on: April 26, 2022, 08:31:09 pm »

April 26th finds (from the ATM)

Well, another day brings more polymer finds from the ATM.
Once again, these notes are circulated and will most likely be thrown back into circulation unless someone on the forum wants them.

FWW 2425563   A 2015 Historic Reign Commemorative $20 short run prefix.  (Tear in the lower right hand corner).

BSG 3986398 A 4 digit cycle repeater (ink has rubbed off in spots and you can see the polymer substrate).

If you are interested in these notes for face value plus $3 for regular mail, please let me know ASAP.

Boy, I'd really like to start finding PAPER notes again... ;)

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #202 on: May 07, 2022, 05:28:19 pm »

May 7th finds:

Pickings have been slim for me lately; I’ve had to venture further afield to find notes and coins, often turning up empty.

Today’s finds come courtesy of a Scotiabank.  It’s worthy to note that I have never been lucky with asking for old notes at Scotiabank branches but lately, they are the only ones paying out!

Not much today, just a few bucks in pennies, three nickel dollars (one has been holed), a ten pence coin from the UK and a raggedy old beaten up Macklem Carney HBG polymer $5, ready for the shredder.

A find is a find, and I’ll take anything the banks want to give me!

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 06:15:12 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2022, 12:59:41 am »

May 17th finds:

The drought continues…

The banks have nothing to give me lately.  I did get some ragged changeover prefixes in a regular cash withdrawal from the ATM, but nothing to write home about.

The FFE changeover is also a birthday note, July 11 1953.  If anybody wants it, please send me a PM.

Enjoy!
Dean

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2022, 03:07:17 pm »

I did get some ragged changeover prefixes in a regular cash withdrawal from the ATM, but nothing to write home about.

- yeah, those change-overs are (unfortunately) on the bulk side of the equation (ie: not tough). 
For IND $5 you need above 8,982,000
For FFE $10 you need below 0,854,999
Not sure about the HCM or FTN as they're a fairly common 50/50 type change-over we see all the time.

Better luck next time...

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #205 on: May 21, 2022, 11:08:39 pm »

May 21st finds:

Another collection dump!

Well, after weeks of finding next to nothing, I have found another collection dump.

It looks like someone had a favourite $1 prefix because there are a lot of AB two lettered notes, all circulated.

1973 $1s and birds $2s are nice, but 1937 notes are nicer!   ;D

Enjoy!

Dean

« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 11:10:10 pm by Dean »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2022, 08:42:55 am »

It looks like someone had a favourite $1 prefix because there are a lot of AB two lettered notes, all circulated.

Probably inherited the 37's & then started collecting when he/she got a few nice AB $1.00.

Good thing they found a new home. 

Thanks for sharing @Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2022, 02:47:02 pm »

Probably inherited the 37's 

It's astonishing to think that someone inherited the 1937 notes, and the only thought they had was "I just got $38...but the bills are old, and nobody will accept them at the store, so I'll deposit them at the bank."

It's a sad reality that most people just don't care about vintage currency; they see it as "just money" and treat it like yesterday's newspaper.   :'(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 02:48:47 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #208 on: May 24, 2022, 11:08:21 pm »

May 24th finds:

I stopped in at one of my regular banks today and the teller let me look through the mutilated notes.

I got some decent paper this time, but all more recent issued birds and journey notes.

This haul included:

Seven journey $20s in decent shape,

Two birds $100s,

Four journey $100s…one almost radar BKD 9080808, and one sheet replacement note EJP 9916088 as well as a short run BJZ prefix note.

And three journey $10s…one of which has a discrepancy in the font of the left and right serial numbers, BFN 8439122.  The left side appears to be more heavily inked than the right side and the right side is raised compared to the left side.

What could have caused this?  My guess is that there was a slight bit of friction between the sheets when the numbers were wet, but it could also be that the rollers for the right hand serial number were more heavily inked than those for the left side.

I’d like to hear your thoughts…

Anyway, enjoy the pics and if any of you are interested in these notes, send me a message ASAP because I sell them rather quickly.

Dean

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:14:25 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #209 on: May 29, 2022, 08:51:15 am »

May 28th find:

One lonely birds $100 note.

Lately, there has not been much paper money available from the banks but what is available is in primarily $50s and $100s.

There are more notes out there; you just never know when they will come in!

Enjoy,
Dean

Login with username, password and session length