Author
Topic: Bank of Canada's upgraded $10 Bank note  (Read 12527 times)
suretteda
« on: May 16, 2005, 03:37:42 pm »

National technical briefing on Canada's upgraded $10 bank note

TORONTO, May 16 /CNW Telbec/ - On 18 May, the Bank of Canada will begin circulating an upgraded $10 bank note. Media are invited to attend a national technical briefing on the enhanced security features of this note.

The briefing will take place at the Bank of Canada's Toronto office and will be presented by Geoffrey King, Director for the Department of Banking Operations, and Paul De Swart, Senior Regional Representative. Bank partners, including Sergeant Moshe Gordon of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and Scott McCammon, Vice-President, Communications and Stakeholder Relations, of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce, will also be on-site and available for interviews.

National Technical Briefing

Date:        Wednesday, 18 May 2005

Time:       10:30 to 11 a.m. (EDT) - Briefing
               11 to 11:30 a.m. (EDT) - Q & A session and one-on-one interviews

Toronto, ON

Note:       Please confirm your attendance by calling Celia Goncalves-Trindade at (905) 206-2536 before 5 p.m. on Tuesday, 17 May 2005.

Media Interviews

On 18 May, Bank of Canada officials in the Bank's head and regional offices will be available for interviews on the upgraded $10 bank note (contact information is listed below). Media wishing to see the new note can do so by visiting any one of these offices. Media may also obtain images of
the front and back of the upgraded $10 bank note upon request. Anyone wishing to publish bank note images must first obtain written permission from the Bank of Canada
( http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/legislation/repro.html ).

Bank of Canada head office:

Ottawa, ON
234 Wellington St.

Regional Offices:

Halifax, NS
1583 Hollis Street, 5th Floor

Montréal, QC
1501 McGill College Avenue, Suite 2030
Contact: Pierre Laprise (514) 496-4814 or Daniel Champagne 514 496-4816

Toronto, ON
150 King Street West, Suite 2000

Calgary, AB
404-6th Avenue SW, Suite 200

Vancouver, BC
200 Granville Street, Suite 2710

For further information: Monica Lamoureux, 613 782-8782

« Last Edit: May 16, 2005, 03:38:14 pm by suretteda »
suretteda
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2005, 07:51:52 pm »

6 May 2005

May is Museum Month in Ottawa

The Bank of Canada wishes to congratulate the Canadian War Museum on the occasion of its official opening.

On May 12, the Currency Museum will showcase the Bank of Canada’s upgraded $10 bank note, with its theme of Peacekeeping and Remembrance, at the new Canadian War Museum in Ottawa.

This event marks the opening of May is Museum Month and commemorates the long anticipated opening of the War Museum, the 60th Anniversary of VE Day, and the Year of the Veteran.

Visitors will be able to preview the note and its new security features between 9:30 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. in the Canadian War Museum’s lobby. The note will be put into circulation beginning May 18.

The Currency Museum, which is part of the Bank of Canada, is the repository of Canada’s National Currency Collection, which consists of over 100,000 items. The Collection includes ancient and medieval coins, as well as modern coins, tokens, paper money, historical financial documents, and tools and materials (dies, plates) for the production of Canadian coins and notes. The Museum's
programs and exhibits serve as an introduction to the history and evolution of currency in Canada and to the contribution of the Bank of Canada to Canadian society and the economy.

The Currency Museum is located at 245 Sparks Street in the Bank of Canada building. It is open Tuesday to Saturday from 10:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and on Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (open Mondays from 1 May to Labour Day).

Admission is free.

For more information:
Enrica Schwilden
Marketing & Communications Manager
Tel: (613) 782-7933
Fax: (613) 782-7761

Bank of Canada

http://www.museedelamonnaie.ca/pdf/press/museumMonth-new10_press-en.pdf
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2005, 08:56:14 pm »

Too bad I don't live in Ottawa...  It would have been cool to get a sneak peek of the new note... :(

Oh, well... I guess I will be watching the CBC news this Wednesday to see if there is a report regarding the new arrival... ;D

Wonder if I will get my first new tens later this week...  ::)
suretteda
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 01:31:06 pm »

Bank of Canada's upgraded $10 Bank note
[/b]

OTTAWA–The Bank of Canada today put into circulation an upgraded $10 bank note with enhanced security features. The design, colour, and theme (Remembrance and Peacekeeping) of the upgraded $10 note are the same as those of the previously issued $10 note from the Canadian Journey series.

To improve the security of Canadian bank notes and to stay ahead of counterfeiters, the Bank is continuously researching and developing new and enhanced security features. The upgraded $10 note, like the $20, $50, and $100 notes of the Canadian Journey series, contains a metallic holographic stripe, a watermark portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread woven into the paper, a see-through number, and enhanced fluorescence under ultraviolet lighting. The Bank is upgrading the $10 note in response to an increase in the counterfeiting of lower-denomination bank notes.

"These enhanced security features make it easy for consumers and cash-handlers to verify the authenticity of their bank notes, but difficult for counterfeiters to copy," said David Dodge, Governor of the Bank of Canada.

The Bank provides its partners and the general public with educational materials to help familiarize them with the security features found on all Canadian bank notes, as well as the quick and easy techniques that can be used to distinguish a genuine from a counterfeit note. For more information on Canadian bank notes, their security features, and educational and training materials, visit http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/.

"It simply makes good business sense for retailers to do what they can to protect themselves from accepting counterfeit notes," said Len Crispino, President and CEO of the Ontario Chamber of Commerce. "That is why we strongly encourage businesses to make use of the educational materials provided by the Bank of Canada, and to inform cash-handlers on how to detect counterfeit notes. Verifying the authenticity of a bank note takes only a few seconds, and can protect businesses from unnecessary losses due to counterfeiting."

Since announcing its plan to upgrade the $10 note on 20 January 2005, the Bank has been working with its many partners, including retailers, financial institutions, and the manufacturers and operators of bank note handling equipment, to ensure the smooth introduction of the upgraded note into daily cash transactions.

The upgrade $10 note will be available across Canada within the next couple of weeks. As with all bank notes issued by the Bank of Canada, older versions of the $10 note still in circulation remain legal tender. The Bank expects to replace older $10 notes in circulation with the upgraded $10 notes within approximately one year.

Note to Editors:

Images of the front and back of the upgraded $10 bank note are available to the media upon request. Anyone wishing to publish bank note images must first obtain written permission from the Bank of Canada

(http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/legislation/repro.html).

http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/press/2005/pr05-9.htm
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 01:31:56 pm by suretteda »
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:03:07 pm »

Picked up the new Journey $10s from the BMO Main Branch downtown:

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/BEU7880600.JPG}

There have obviously been some subtle changes made to the note to accomodate the new security features.  Some writing have changed colour and their locations have shifted slighty.  Sir John A's face looks more black/grey than purple.  

The biggest change I notice is in the background microprint, see photo below.  Old Journey $10 on the left, New Journey $10 on the right.

{http://www.geocities.com/cj_sidewall/banknotes/NewJourney10Microprint.JPG}
« Last Edit: May 18, 2005, 09:24:36 pm by CJ_Sidewall »
CJ_Sidewall
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:11:01 pm »

The location of the "yellow dots" have changed dramatically too.  Some of the dots now appear between the serial numbers.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 11:43:28 pm »

Are they printed in 2004 or 2005?

jonathan
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2005, 11:52:40 pm »

I, myself, don't have any of the "new" $10's as yet, but I believe they are ISSUE OF 2005, printed in 2004.  :)

I will try my trusty Scotiabank over the next week on my quest for the new "sawbucks."  :D
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 12:22:01 am »

Are they printed in 2004 or 2005?

Printed in 2004
sudzee
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2005, 12:26:24 am »

I wonder if BET will be the first BABN prefix of the upgraded notes. Would be nice to see another changeover.
JB-2007
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2005, 12:48:58 am »

I wonder if BET will be the first BABN prefix of the upgraded notes. Would be nice to see another changeover.

Very Unlikely
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2005, 01:01:12 am »

I wonder how Charlton will list these, and if it will be in time for the July release of the guide.  ???

Marc :)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2005, 01:07:40 am »

I wonder how Charlton will list these, and if it will be in time for the July release of the guide.  ???

The Charlton guide 18th Edition is too close to production to include the new notes, however, they may have included a pre-emptory concept image available from the BoC website and allocated Charlton numbers for the then unissued notes.

Bottom line, DO NOT EXPECT the new notes to have any reference in the 18th Edition.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2005, 01:47:16 am »

Thats right, usually what ever gets included in the charlton is everything issued up till March 15 something like that. Besides the new 18th edition has already been printed and is ready to be released in july.
We will see the 2005 issue show up but only in the 19th edition. I believe (being a new issue) these $10 bills will be listed as BC-67a and BC-67a-i
jonathan
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2005, 04:28:54 pm »

I tried one of the Scotiabank branches in St. John's yesterday to try to obtain the new $10's - no luck.  :'(

I will try the Avalon Mall branch in St. John's this Tuesday.  :)

Jonathan, out!  ;)

Login with username, password and session length