Author
Topic: Paypal (Ebay) - $US Balances- in Canada  (Read 30775 times)
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2005, 04:29:21 am »

N/A.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2007, 06:47:00 am by Marc-Andre Roy »
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2005, 09:33:35 am »

Greetings,

I have just written you an email to investigate your comments as they relate to what we know to be Paypals obvious limitations after a wide range of experiences and testing and I will gladly present any new findings to the forum.

I anxiously look forward to your response as you certainly have this skeptic very intrigued. I must say a most modern method of business development for RBC ;D

Troy.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 10:08:49 am by TheMonetaryMan »
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2005, 02:52:43 pm »

I have had some communication by email and by telephone with M.A. Roy of RBC and I found the communications quite informative.

I will post a summary shortly.

Thanks.
Troy
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2005, 02:12:23 pm »

This post is a report on my conversation and subsequent investigation of the comments made by M.A Roy of RBC.

1st let me say that both M.A. Roy and I agree that the RBC Centura product offering I previously investigated on the forums behalf is the primary solution and preferred over the next idea which I am going to present which was presented to me by M.A. Roy.

Having said that I wanted to provide you a follow up report on the RBC Centura offering that I have been using for several weeks now. The account is working very well, adding funds to my paypal account and withdrawing from Paypal to my RBC Centura account has worked flawlessly. The undetected (undisclosed by RBC during the sales cycle) drawback (an important one at that) is that you cannot just walk into any RBC branch here in Canada and withdraw from your RBC Centura Account. You will need to write a cheque off your account or wire your funds to their intended end destination. They do provide “in branch” set up of the account initially as I witnessed but all further transactions are done either online or over the phone with RBC Centura Reps in the USA.  I have simply written cheques on my account to work around this lack of local in branch service.  I will also remind you that their online banking offering is very competitive and is complimentary with the account. I have also found their telephone banking to be quite competitive as well.

Now having said that let me present a simple alternative that allegedly (by M.A. Roy) is suitable for those who seek only to withdraw their US$ balances from Paypal into a Canadian based US$ account, yup that is correct. You will cry “wait the Paypal software will not accept a Canada based US$ account"..well with RBC’s help I have learned a secret work around.

It goes like this:

First go into your Paypal account and then click on “Profile”, next then click on “Bank Accounts” under the financial information section. Now on this “Bank Account” screen on your bottom right is an “add” button, click it.  Now on this “add a bank account” screen select USA as the country. On the next screen where it asks you to add a bank account in the USA enter:

Routing Number: 026004093
Account Number: XXXXXXXXXXXX (5 digits transit) + (7 digits account number) – You must already have a traditional US$ Canadian based RBC account for this to work.

Now you will note from the paypal screen check sample they assume your account number is 10 digits, however the software will accept account numbers of varying length.

Apparently RBC and JP Morgan in the USA have a relationship in place via the routing number presented above. This routing number allows the transaction to stay in US$ all the way to your Canadian Based US$ account.

Now here is the deal, I am told by M.A. Roy that you can withdraw your paypal balance to your RBC account this way but you cannot do the reverse, you cannot add funds to your paypal account under this arrangement. (The Centura offering you can). In fact you shouldn’t even attempt it I am told or Paypal may just close your Paypal account down.

When I interviewed M.A. Roy he informed me that he has personally tested the facts presented to be true, I have not personally tested the information presented.

I will not be pursuing this alternative presented by M.A. Roy because I am happy with the Centura offering and most importantly I am fearful that Paypal will all of a sudden decide they don’t like this work around and shut down every account using it.  I would therefore gently caution professional bankers who post recommendations in the forum to clarify if RBC is advising us or if it is simple person to person counseling. I would be out for blood (and so would you be) if an official representing a bank presented a potentially dubious idea that caused my Paypal account to be closed. That would come at great opportunity cost and financial loss for me.

I have researched Paypal’s policies and I do not see where they say this arrangement is against their policies but they do say that withdrawing your US$ balances to a Canadian based account isn’t possible, well according to M.A Roy it is, but I won’t be the beta tester for this one as I sense the possibility of potential trouble down the road with it.

That’s all folks and thanks for listening in, I found M.A Roy's idea to be quite interesting and would like to thank him for bringing it forward.

Troy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 02:20:24 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2005, 09:52:13 pm »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:47:28 am by Marc-Andre Roy »
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #50 on: June 13, 2005, 09:56:58 pm »

Thank you for the correction, I have adjusted your remarks accordingly transcribed from our conversation.

Troy.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 10:08:22 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2005, 01:16:35 am »

I would like to mention that I have tried the linking of my "basic" RBC US Dollar Bank Account (not RBC Centura) with the routing number specified, along with the transit number and account number.

To my delight, the link between PayPal and to my RBC US Dollar Bank Account was successful.  PayPal deposited two small deposits ( a total of 46 cents U.S. ).   I then verified the two deposits on the PayPal's bank confirmation, and voila!  It works!!!

I then did a withdrawal of $5 U.S. from my PayPal account to my RBC U.S. Dollar Bank Account and it showed up in about 2-3 business days.  I then did the opposite, and it was also successful.  

Going forward, I am very happy to know that I can cash out my US Dollars rather than be charged the bad foreign exchange rates that PayPal offers.  

Thanks to the other members for providing the helpful information.   ;D

Smile from your heart.  ;D
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2005, 01:58:35 am »

Thanks for testing the scenario I would not and providng the feedback.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you in case Paypal decides they dont like the work around one day and shuts down the accounts using it.

I am playing it safe and staying with my RBC US$ USA Based Centura account which allows me to not only withdraw to it from my Paypal account but I can also add funds to my paypal account from my RBC Centura account and initiate e-checks without the risk of account closure :)

Troy
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:22:38 am by TheMonetaryMan »
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2005, 02:17:33 am »

Dang it.

I made more than $3000 US in sales this past month, and withdrew it with my Paypal ATM card. Now I find out about this  >:(

I lost twice. I had to convert the Australian Dollars (I sold on ebay.com.au) into US Dollars, got a really crappy rate, and when I made the ATM withdrawals, got a crappy rate too.

To add insult to injury, they already charge the ridiculously high fees. I sold a Australian $100 Test Note for $1000 AUD (About $950). All I ended up with was about $840 CAD.

I need to go to RBC to open a account. Thanks again coinsplus for your helpful advice.  :)

« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 02:19:29 am by can-banknotes »
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2005, 02:55:57 am »

Don't thank me - all I did was just try it out and it worked.  

You should be thanking MonetaryMan and M.-A. Roy for their hardwork and helpful information on this issue.   ;D

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2005, 02:57:07 am »

Don't thank me - all I did was just try it out and it worked.  

You should be thanking MonetaryMan and M.-A. Roy for their hardwork and helpful information on this issue.   ;D

Don't be so modest.

TheMonetaryMan and Roy deserve a lot of credit.

You were our labratory rat for trying this out!  ;D
CA_Banknotes
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2005, 02:59:40 am »

Research can never be done without labratory rats, btw.  ;)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2005, 04:22:11 am »

A guinea pig sounds better than a rat.   ;)

CA_Banknotes
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2005, 04:24:35 am »

A guinea pig sounds better than a rat.   ;)

Agreed. Let's make it better, why not a little, cute mouse?  ;D

(Sorry for going OT)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2005, 04:25:04 am by can-banknotes »
Marc-Andre Roy
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2005, 10:01:59 am »

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:47:43 am by Marc-Andre Roy »

Login with username, password and session length