Author
Topic: Appreciating Notes  (Read 17419 times)
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2006, 09:35:35 pm »

The 3 consecutive *AM are going for $2200 in tonight's auction (maybe why there are no bids??)

OleDon
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2006, 10:28:17 pm »

All very interesting speculation...I just wonder how amused Bob Graham is while reading the speculations as he already knows what the book will say. Guess we'll have to wait for july before can say "The envelope, please, Mr Graham" !!

One post said no prices were going down. How can anyone be so sure ??

OleDon
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2006, 10:38:22 pm »

One post said no prices were going down. How can anyone be so sure ??

OleDon

Strictly an assumption. I would be both surprised and satisfied if certain prices decreased.
stevepot99
  • Pushing the boundaries
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 01:59:14 am »

I do agree with you on the 5 dollar N/X should be worth more then the R/C I have seen many R/C around but you brought up a good point on the 2 dollar R/R the are very few and far between just like the N/Y
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2006, 12:14:09 am »

The most overpriced notes in the catalogue have to be multicolor Lawson-Bouey X notes (and 510 notes in the $20 denoms).  They are not even remotely rare and are not trading anywhere near catalogue in any condition.  In second place would be 1974 $2 test notes

If you want to "dump" your RS test note (I love AU by the way) than please pm me and I'll put my money where my mouth is!  I always love a good deal!!!  ::) In fact I have an EF RS test but will "settle" for another any day... so thanks in advance if its truly for sale.  Its not often you get a chance to deal with real collectors who want to clear out such rarities.

I never actually said that 1954 $1 *A/M notes are "commonplace
I know you didn't say the *AM 1954 $1 is commonplace-- & didn't mean to put words in your mouth (dangers of statements put in "black n white" but I'd put my money on those before I'd put them on more PA notes. Again if you got any let us "needy" know about which ones you have before the next catalogue comes out so we can all scramble all over for them! One of the problems with those notes is that so many collectors toute them as low numbered (when there were only 8000 printed) and there's far too many savvy collectors to know this is a bit of a "hard sell" since only 7/8 are above a 1000! (unlike 99% of regular issue).

RP you do make some good points-- no doubt about it.  I don't mean to come off as "confrontational" here-- yes theres some mystery behind some of the notes we've all mentioned here.  I would bank more stock in the value of an *NX $5 than an *RC -- but if anyone has an Beattie Coyne  *RC (or R/C) now there's a kicker!  Would love to score one of those babies!

Yes its all speculation-- and I'm sure the pricing panel would scratch their heads if they actually tune into this forum--- but as Paul says we gotta remember that its the pleasure of collecting -- not just paper trading like on the stock exchange. Hmmmm? (but was that the query what started this thread?)

Ok I'm tired -- its been a long night (I know - weird-- gotta life beyond collecting!) so better shut up and leave it at that.  I'm sure the pricing panel will have the last laugh anyway  (how do these guys get these coveted assignments-- anyone know?)

RS_dude
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2006, 02:01:12 am »

Who says the pricing panel doesn't read this forum?? l see a couple people from the pricing panel taking part in this conversation !   HMMMMMMMM   RS_dude
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 02:01:36 am by RS_dude »
alvin5454
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2006, 10:58:38 pm »

Dominion notes, particularly above fine but often including lower grades, are selling across every market at a pace that reflects that more people are beginning to appreciate them. Despite their rarity, earlier and higher-grade notes have been under-valued for many years. Even with the steady increases in Charlton prices over the past four or five years, they are still bargains. However, I think Dominion notes will show a strong increase this edition... cheers..
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2006, 10:59:01 pm »

What about the Devils. It's pretty much a given they are going up. But by how much.
10%, 20%...more ?
buxvet
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 12:53:43 am »

And another thing

Why is the 1937 $ 20 Coyne Towers Prefix L/E priced so low compared with it's counterparts

Prefix L/E  -   Run 1,416,000 even less then the Ozzy
Osborne Sig - Run 1,622,000

And  the $ 10 Z/D which granted is only 500,000 is at $ 1000 UNC

Whereas the L/E is +10EF, +25AU, +55UNC from the other Coyne prefixes

The L/E is by far the lowest minted end run or changeover prefix in the entire '37 series beside that Z/D
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 04:24:23 pm »

I'm actually surprised that Devil's keep going up.  I thought after last year's increase we'd see them level off (but I doubt it).  There just seems to be no end in sight of demand (for higher grade of course).  

I think the Beattie Coyne asterisk (replacement) notes in all modified 54 series seem a bit low, and could go up considering how seldom we see them.  

I know someone said the AA is seen quite often, and I suppose he's right, but they're the only asterisk of the modified $1 (with this signature-64000), as is the A/B of $2 (22400)and then there's the A/C and R/C of the $5 (16000 and 8000).  I was super happy to get an A/D of the $10 (only 25000) (despite some red ink stain on the borders),  the A/E $20(12000).  Now that asterisks are a thing of the past, I'm a bit surprised that they haven't gone up even more, especially considering the fact that inserts of later issues (in confirmed number ranges) are so steep.

And yes, I would expect all Dominion notes to go up significantly because we see so few UNC and the lower grades should go up as well (esp unpressed original notes).  1935's will probably increase again.

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 07:43:50 pm »

And another thing

Why is the 1937 $ 20 Coyne Towers Prefix L/E priced so low compared with it's counterparts

Osborne Sig
- Run 1,622,000
Dude!  I knew Ozzy Osbourne was old, but I didn't know he was THAT old!  He was a Governor of the Bank of Canada in the 1930s?  Jeez, look at him now!  :o
« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 07:55:44 pm by venga50 »

buxvet
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2006, 05:57:47 pm »

And another thing

Osborne Sig
- Run 1,622,000
Dude!  I knew Ozzy Osbourne was old, but I didn't know he was THAT old!  He was a Governor of the Bank of Canada in the 1930s?  Jeez, look at him now!  :o

LMAO
I gotta a great laugh out of that
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2006, 10:46:29 pm »

I'm sure J.A.C. Osborne would look about the same as the infamous permanently stoned rocker if he were dug up today! :o

The past comments outline just a few of the inconsistencies that can be found in Charlton.  I for one would love to see more editions to the last section of the book which covers errors and special serial numbers.  More details need to be added to the many kind of errors we see today, and there should be more added about certain serial numbers that people will pay a premium on (eg rotators or "near solids," numbers with excess zeros such as 0100000, repeaters: 9870987 and so on).  

Short prefix runs such as the 1975 Lawson/Bouey HD $50 or the Crow/Bouey EHF are not seen on the market like all the other prefixes (and should be accorded some premium like the Birds $50 FMF.  The lower grade 2 letter prefix should be valued higher AU=$150 not lower than the 3 letter $50 AU=$175 when 36 M compared to 56 million notes were printed (if you take both signatures L/B and C/B -- 3 letter prefixes are 136 M or 4 times as common as the 2 letter variety!)  I just use this note as an example since we see it traded and sold so often (esp the 3 letter prefix).  The pricing just doesn't seem realistic.

Charlton needs to reflect the current reality of the paper money market.  for instance you would never know that current 2001 Journey notes are so popular and demand such high prices if you were to look at the 2006 edition, and I doubt the new 2007 will truly reflect the demand. The Birds series were issued in such vast quanitities with great paper quality so their wear and tear is less.  We should see increases in the $5.00 too -- but not much on their inserts since there seems to be so many insert ranges since 2004.  Do the pricing panel tune into what is hot on eBay and not just live auctions?

It makes me wonder.  RSdude (nice handle by the way!) claims the pricing panel do tune into this... hmmm?

It seems that there is a certain "old guard" who insist on assigning values to notes regardless of the market reality.  I'm sure many on the panel are the same dealers who turn their noses up at rare Journey notes.  They just see the colour of the note and pass it on!  Perhaps I'm being unfair.  Perhaps Charlton is just barely keeping up with the new technology/current info. I imagine the quanity of information is indeed overwhelming for them to process.   And I guess the bottom line is: most collectors are in it for the "long haul" so that market fluctations, pricing guide adjustments, etc, are NOT going to phase them.  

I will remain unsurprised by next year's (soon to be released) guide. That's my stance & I'm stickin to it!

PS: the new numbering system of the errors in the back section is a welcome addition!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2006, 10:48:40 pm by walktothewater »

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2006, 11:01:52 pm »

I just visited www.chartlonpress.com and discovered that most short prefixes, change-overs, 1935's, and so on have increased in value.  They have been working on the short prefixes for some time.  Its an interesting overview of what the new edtion contains.   Special comment was made how all replacements have increased in value (low and high condition), as well as the last Journey $10  prefixes.  I guess you're right RSdude -- they do tune into this forum!
 :-?
Now: after my long winded "diatribe" on Charlton's shortcomings ... I feel a bit like a donkey's &%$  :-[

To all those in the pricing panel -- my humble apologies!

OleDon
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2006, 11:01:31 pm »

Did y'all notice on the Charlton Press web site is a sample page of the new 19th ed with the NEW prices for the 1937 $100's  ???

OleDon

Login with username, password and session length