Author
Topic: The new $100--who's got it?  (Read 24108 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2004, 03:14:19 am »

Hi,
This is the last note in the run of 5 that I got.  The EJA note is separate (possible insert?).  This one will be spent because it has many small ripples and counting creases.  I think it will be fun just because nobody has seen them yet, to be the first to spend one.

Cheers, Dean.

jonathan
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2004, 12:16:14 pm »

Hi, it is I.

I finally got my new $100's from the Scotiabank main branch in downtown St. John's today.

I was hoping to get prefix EJA like I was expecting, but the prefix was BJY.  The serial numbers are:

BJY3425801-03

plate numbers:

bp: 59
fp: 80

I guess we should soon see EJ*'s in the very near future!

Jonathan
JoeF
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2004, 01:48:02 pm »

I was successful in getting a new hundred in Vancouver yesterday.  After trying during noonhour at CIBC and Scotiabank without any luck, I was rewarded with a crisp new EJA at the main branch of Bank of Montreal.

Serial number is EJA1498399.   :D
JoeF
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2004, 01:51:27 pm »

Just a quick observation.  The intaglio print on the new 100 seems more pronounced than the previous Journey series notes.  May be just that its brand new, but my impression is that the BoC has tried to enhance the feel of the intaglio particularly on the "100" numerals and the coat of arms.

Anyone else notice this or any other point of interest??
Jason
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2004, 03:01:58 pm »

I GOT MINE!!!!

My aunt works at a TD-Canada Trust, and she called me up this morning.  They haven't gotten theirs yet, but someone came in this morning to DEPOSIT some!  Brent figures it was a collector who withdrew a whole bunch--picked the notes he wanted, and returned the rest.  Maybe it could even be one of you!  Anyway, I got my new $100, and it rests proudly in my banknote album, waiting for its green and red brothers to join them later this year!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2004, 04:22:05 pm »

OK, I'm back and I've managed to get 4 (although if I was rich enough, I could have bought 200) EJA notes.

EJA0481250-1 and EJA0481971-2
No radar available, no inserts in the two bricks, no BJYs, no JPHs.

Cdn_Guy:  I'll visit you after 4:00 today as I've got a class starting in a few minutes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
canada-hongkong
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2004, 04:47:46 pm »

Ah, I went to a TD Canada Trust branch this morning, withdrew $2500, and went to downtown Toronto in search of new notes. I first went to the Canada Trust at Bay, they didn't have them, I went to the RBC accross the street, they had them, but they hadn't been counted yet, I went to the CIBC not far away, I was only allowed 2 EJA05-----, then it was off to Scotiabank, where I was allowed as many I wanted, I got numbers EJA4165927-EJA4165949. I spent the 2 $100s I got from CIBC, since they were rather wavy, and Dean mentioned they might have been exposed to humidity. Then, I was off to start spending the notes, I went to Chinatown for lunch with a few other people, I used a new $100 bill, the cashier seemed so excited, she showed it to another employee, and they were fighting over it (which was totally priceless ;D), I went to the Chinese consulate on St. George street to get my passport renewed, this time, I got a flat refusal, as the official would not accept it for a $65 fee. Then I headed off to Wal-Mart to buy a radio, the cashier also seemed excited when recieving a new $100 bill. I also spent the other $100 bill I got yesterday since it was in my wallet, and a bit crinkled, it was a BJY2------.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2004, 05:11:11 pm »

Still no luck from my end....  I went to all four main branches in downtown Oakville (TD, Royal, CIBC & Scotia bank) and none had the new notes.   Then (this sounds really SICK!!!) on the drive back to my office I spotted a Brinks truck and followed it to a Scotia bank branch at 3rd line & Upper Middle Road, waited until the driver came out and in the small hope that he might have delivered some new notes, went into that branch to enquire....... alas, no luck.   Might have to bite the bullet and drive into downtown Toronto tomorrow afternoon.

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2004, 05:32:49 pm »

Hello all.

Went back to the two small branches today.  CIBC had a full bundle of BJY2421000 to 1099.  I was disappointed to learn that it was the only bundle they had (next bundle had the RADAR).  Next stop, the Royal.  They too had a few, and got BJY1526245.  AGAIN, visions of the RADAR danced in my head!!!!  I asked if I could trouble them to give me the note that ended in 251, a mere 6 notes away.  They didn't have it.  SOMEBODY was playing with me today!  :)

Still lots of fun though!

Kelly

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2004, 06:38:29 pm »

LOL @ eyevet - You're getting desperate, I can tell!

I'll Xpresspost you a note for $125.  Deal?  ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Steve11
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2004, 07:23:40 pm »

I do not know how true this is going to be across Canada; But when I was at the BoC the other day..they said not to expect any radars as they had all been pulled. NOW I am wondering  if this is true only for this particular outlet (the Currency Museum) or if its true across the board.....

IF anyone does get a radar...please let us know in the radar sectio of this forum...

If after 6 months of NO radars showing up....I'll leave it to others much more ANGRY to get into this further...
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2004, 07:42:46 pm »

Well both Royal Bank locations where I live had the new $100's today. I got five notes BJY1524794,
BJY1524796-99 None of the other banks had them as of today, but some said on Friday. A friend of mine who is a teller at the Royal said the teller dispensing machine had the new 100's. She said the older style hundreds, the bird series one where in the cash cage and were being sent back. They got a memo to send in all the bird series 100's back to the BOC and give the new 100's to customers.

Dave
canada-hongkong
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2004, 08:11:06 pm »

Just a quick observation.  The intaglio print on the new 100 seems more pronounced than the previous Journey series notes.  May be just that its brand new, but my impression is that the BoC has tried to enhance the feel of the intaglio particularly on the "100" numerals and the coat of arms.

Anyone else notice this or any other point of interest??

I agree.......... I have nice new $10s and $5 in my collection, the intaglio relief seems much heavier on the 100s, on the Coat of Arms, and the small and large 100s.
hockey99man
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2004, 08:11:55 pm »

Just got off the phone with the BoC and they expect to be putting out the $100 Lasting Impressions sets (around $250 per) shortly.  Not sure how many sets they will be creating though.  In addition, it looks unlikely that any uncut press sheets will be made available due to their high cost ($4,000+).  I had asked if they had though about breaking the sheets down into 1/2 sheets or ??? They are going to get back to me early next week about that possibility.

Cheers
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2004, 12:35:57 am »

I went to some banks and credit unions in Shawinigan, but I didn't got any new 100s.   The tellers told me that they usually get their orders of notes on Tuesday and it's takes a more day to put what they get in their automatic distributors.  Maybe tomorrow...

And about the feeling of the new 100$ note, you're right joeF, the numerals are much more easily felt.  I went to the booth held by the Bank of Canada at the last Nuphilex show in Montreal and I was able to hold the new note in my hands.  I noted that the numerals were more easily felt that those on the others notes and the guy told me that the process used to print this part is different that the itaglio.  Apparently, the itaglio process cannot put as much relief on paper, but I don't know what is the process used. Have you looked to your note under a UV light?  The new fluorescent ink is much more visible that one used on 5s and 10s (Almost psychedelic)...

I'm eager to get one...

Login with username, password and session length