Author
Topic: The new $100--who's got it?  (Read 23193 times)
Jason
« on: March 17, 2004, 02:15:01 pm »

If you are lucky enough to get your $100, could you let me (us) know when, where, and from what bank?  I am curious to see who gets them first, and where they have been released.  (e.g., which provinces, which cities, which banks, etc.)

Kelly b.
  • CPMS #1356
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 04:19:42 pm »

Hello All!

Got some of the new hundreds in Winnipeg today.

EJA 0868844 to 0868883, Jenkins/Dodge, Issue of 2004, printed in 2003.

Small CIBC and Royal branches did NOT have any.
Main CIBC and TD branches at Portage and Main did NOT have any?!, but the Scotia and Royal at Portage and Main did have them.  Got a couple from each, as reflected above.

All fp# 53, bp# 18

There is a thin line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 04:35:56 pm »

Went to three banks in Oakville today... no luck.  At the Bank of Montreal, I approached the teller and asked is she had any new $100 bills and she said "yes" (I held my breath) and she reached into her drawer and pulled out a relatively crisp 1988 $100 bill.  I said "No! a NEW one", and she said "well this one is pretty new"!!!  Oh well........

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 05:13:10 pm »

Well, I don't have it... not a single bank in Kitchener or Waterloo, Ontario have the new $100s.  Most claim to be possibly getting them within the next few days "if they are shipped... all depends on what gets sent".  Some didn't realize new $100s we being released, or they had no knowledge of when they might get them.  3 banks promised to call me when they got the new $100s.  One bank already promised me that they'd have them on Friday.

Another observation I found rather absurd was that banks never get any new money and that I'd have to find some other way to get the new notes, maybe by talking to the Bank of Canada branch in Toronto.  Hello?!?  How do you think money gets INTO circulation?  Banks and ATMs dish this stuff out all the time.  Obviously that particular bank employee knew NOTHING about how the process works.  ::)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 05:25:17 pm »

The tale of Whitby and Ajax mirrors that of Kitchener and Waterloo.  But since I have the time off, I will check back until I get them.  Ajax has four major banks (CIBC, TD-Canada Trust, Royal Bank, Scotiabank) all within a few minutes of each other. I will head back tomorrow.
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 05:55:03 pm »

Okay folks, here's the scoop for Vancouver forum members:

I visited the Vancouver main branches of Scotiabank and Royal, and a few downtown branches of TD-CT and VanCity.  Nobody has the new notes yet, nobody knows when they're coming, nobody seems to care.

However, the Bank of Canada has an information booth set up in Pacific Centre Mall.  I stopped by at 11:30 am.  They had two samples of the new note that I held in my hands.  Get this:  The two they had were Jenkins/Dodge, BJY0042***   :o  Unfortunately, they wouldn't sell me either of them.  However, they did say that they sold a number of the notes to the public earlier in the morning.  They couldn't confirm if the prefixes on the notes they sold were BJY or something else.  So, it's possible that there could be a handful of BJY J/D notes floating around in Vancouver.

I just got off the phone with the Bank of Canada's regional office here in Vancouver, and they confirmed that it is their intention to have more of the notes for sale at the information table in the mall sometime today.    However, the notes are currently (as of 12:35pm PST) in transit from Ottawa, and while they are expecting them to arrive sometime this afternoon, they can't guarantee they'll be here.

The info table at the mall will close today at 7PM.  The regional office said that if the notes aren't available there by the end of the day, they will be on sale tomorrow at the Bank of Canada's regional office at suite 2710, 200 Granville Street, Vancouver.  Yippee!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 06:29:32 pm by grandish »

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 06:56:17 pm »

I went to a small Scotiabank branch around lunch time today and asked them if they had the new $100's, but she said "no", which is what I figured after I called the main branch in downtown St. John's yesterday, but I did get to have a slice of cake and lime punch for St. Paddy's day - Yum.

But, on the upside, the main Scotiabank branch in St. John's told me that they WILL have the new $100 notes tomorrow.  The staff person seems pretty confident about this, I hope.

I will let all of ye know when I get my new $100's.  I had better hit the sack early tonight - I have a big morning event awaiting me tomorrow...

Later, Jonathan
smudger-smith
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 09:05:15 pm »

What a smozzle.....
  If I recall the wednesday the $5 Journey was released they were in almost every bank I visited.
  Couldn`t find any in Edmonton even after a rep. from the Bank of Montreal faithfully said they would be availible. :(
    Nobody even knows when or if they might ever get any let alone what they look like.
So much for faith in our money.....you could print some crap and write $100 and take them to your 7-11!!!!!
 Frustrated in Edmonton :'(
JWS
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 09:55:59 pm »

And the story continues! Visited twelve branches of five banks in Sarnia and none had the new $100, even though I had put in a special request for them last week, at four main branches. (As these folks had suggested I do.) At one smaller branch the teller told me that the new $100 bill wasn't going to be issued till next month. ::) In Sarnia, she may be right!
So much for my frustration.  :(
Philippe_B
  • CPMS 1363
    • http://pages.videotron.com/transam/IMG_1194.JPG
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 10:02:22 pm »

I got brand new $5 and $10 bills on the issue date. Back then I was only a regular customer of a small credit Union. Now I work in a Scotiabank branch and I cannot get one. That's very frustrating !
:'(
At least the person in charge of all the banknotes thinks we will receive some notes on Friday. 8)

Philippe
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 10:26:59 pm »

My dad mentioned something to me a few minutes ago... he thought he heard that the BoC had issued a recall on the notes because of something wrong with them.  I immediately shot the idea down, but then I remembered that they briefly did that with the $10s if I'm not mistaken.  Has anyone heard anything to substantiate this claim or is my Dad just trying to annoy me again?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
d_polo
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 11:35:21 pm »

No luck for me either, I went to all the banks, most didn't know when they'd be getting any in? The only bank who said when they'd be getting them in was the Royal Bank, they said tomorrow. But I don't get it, almost all the banks I visited have the literature/brochures on the counters, but not one bank has the new bills? They release date of the brochures said today, but no luck? I know most banks have to put in a big money order for the week and you'd think the BOC would make sure when they ordered more money that most branches would have the new 100? Oh well.
hockey99man
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 11:49:53 pm »

Hi,

For what its worth...

I talked with a lady from the BOC in Vancouver this afternoon and was told that a number of banks in Vancouver will be receiving new 100's by Friday.  

In addition, all of the 100's that were at the display in Pacific center were gone by 12:30 ish and they didn't expect any new notes as of 4:30 this afternoon.  She only had one note left at that time... hmmm...

Regards...
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2004, 12:46:42 am »

Well has I said earlier, no banks in Gatineau has them.
I guess that I'll do like steve11 and go directly to the Currency Museum of the BoC to get my new $100. Unfortunately it won't be till saturday.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2004, 01:56:06 am »

Hi,

I got six new 100's today at the main branch of CIBC at Commerce Court in Toronto.  Serial # EJE4988038-42 and EJA0103905.  Kind of wavy like they were exposed to humidity or something but still, I got them on the first day!

Cheers,
Dean.

Login with username, password and session length