Author
Topic: HPB  (Read 9677 times)
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« on: October 12, 2006, 11:24:40 pm »

So it seems HPA is going to be a common prefix so do you all think that there will be a HPB? or there will be nothing special like the $10 notes?

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 11:30:22 pm »

Mirror mirror on the wall, what's the scarcest 5 of all?  : :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 11:31:30 pm by only4teeth »
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 11:39:56 pm »

Love it. ;D Could make a man rich.

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2006, 03:15:32 am »

Mirror mirror on the wall, what's the scarcest 5 of all?

;D

I have confidence in HPB but nothing past that.... It will depend if they clear out ALL the notes or let the rest of the $5 Notes play out while also releasing the new $5??? Possible Mixed Shipments?  :-/

If the Mirror is broken, could someone check their Crystal Ball or Tarrot Cards?  :P  8-)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2006, 09:59:52 am »

I would be very surprised to see HPB this late in the game. This is not to say that I won't be looking for it though. Who can figure out the BOC anyways :)
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 02:12:57 am »

Well at least I will have a pair of gem HPA's with HPB's and C's I hope to find.

;)

Right Huds?

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 03:31:01 am »

I guess it is a bit too early to tell everyone about my brick of HPD eh?
You know I am kidding. :P
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:32:17 am by hudsonab »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2006, 10:50:28 pm »

I just got off the phone with Gilles Pomerleau this evening and he confirmed that the HPB prefix in the $5 Journey note has been seen in circulation.

He also suspects that the the new security upgrades will be printed by BABN not CBN and will start at AOG.

A little "intell" for all the Journey note collectors.

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 05:41:29 am »

This is GREAT Info.....  :)

VERY Interesting... But the BABN printing goes with my thoughts. CBN has been continuing printing the old $5 notes while BABN has been building up stock on the new $5 for release. I am willing to bet then CBN will start or has just started printing the new $5's as well. We should see some nice Changeovers just like the $10 notes...

Just my thoughts....  ;)

canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 08:48:16 am »

It was also Gilles opinion that we could see bricks of pre-security upgrade $5 notes continue to be released from the BofC warehouses as late as January 2007.  This would be a stark contrast to what happened with the $10 Journey notes.

He does not believe that the remaining inventory of pre-security $5 notes will be destroyed when the new notes are released based on the following:

1) There was considerable external pressure on the BofC to release the security upgraded $10 notes based on the number of counterfeit $10 notes that were being circulated.  These pressures came from not only law enforcement but retail merchants and the chartered banks.

2) This same pressure does not exist with the $5 denomination thereby leaving little reason for the BofC to destroy notes that they have already paid CBN to print.

At this point in time this is all conjecture and only time will be the true test of these theories.  :o

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
only4teeth
  • Forum Moderators
  • CPMS Member 1489
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 12:42:32 pm »

I would be very surprised to see HPB this late in the game. This is not to say that I won't be looking for it though. Who can figure out the BOC anyways :)

Looks like I'm wrong yet again! Any bets on HPC?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 12:42:58 pm by only4teeth »
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 01:17:30 pm »

Any bets on the 2005-2006 changeover point?

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2006, 03:48:22 pm »

I would not be surprized to see HPC's comming out ::) but a change over I would even make a friendly mans bet because I be wrong  :-[ lol

Arthur

CPMS Member 1564
walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 09:53:09 pm »

He does not believe that the remaining inventory of pre-security $5 notes will be destroyed when the new notes are released based on the following:

1) There was considerable external pressure on the BofC to release the security upgraded $10 notes based on the number of counterfeit $10 notes that were being circulated.  These pressures came from not only law enforcement but retail merchants and the chartered banks.

2) This same pressure does not exist with the $5 denomination thereby leaving little reason for the BofC to destroy notes that they have already paid CBN to print.

Most collectors I've spoken with have speculated the same.  The phasing out of the 2001 Journey $10 was most abrupt and unusual-- presenting all kinds of "goodies" for us collectors to focus on.  But if you look back at the way the BOC introduces new issues and phases out old ones, the Journey $10 was an exception to the rule.  I think the best one can look forward to is perhaps a short prefix or change-over.  Nothing too much more exciting than that...but of course there may be a surprise or 2.

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 03:12:51 am »

Some VERY good points have been made.... :)

The Journey $10's was an unusual situation and I don't think there will be a "Lost Prefixes" with the Journey $5's.

Yes, I think everyone is looking forward to the changeover but it sure seems strange that we STILL have not seen any 2006 notes..... So.... We have had reports the printers were siting idle... but by the looks of it I would think they have been printing in double-time.

As for Releasing of old and new..... :-/ Not sure what to say.... From a Cost standpoint it does not make sense to waste the old notes and destroy them but we are dealing with Government here...."Out with the Old, In with the New!!!"

It will be VERY Interesting as we are now at 30 Days and counting down.

What do you think for Distribution? Will notes be ARRIVING at branches on the 15th or will they start filling orders with the new notes (Shipping from the Warehouse) on the 15th? Just a thought....  ;)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 03:14:01 am by X-Savior »

Login with username, password and session length