Author
Topic: "Protective varnish" on 2006 fives?  (Read 19502 times)
Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 06:11:22 pm »

I have sent a request for details [about lack of coating on AOGs] to the Bank, so we'll see what happens there.

Any update, BWJM?

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 02:37:16 am »

Negative. I'll send a reminder email to them.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 05:08:23 pm »

Good idea Brent, The tests I ran were inconclusive.  Of course I do not have all the neccessary scientific instruments.... :D  ;D  :P  :)

Here are some photos of the ordeal.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:11:11 pm by Hudson A B »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 05:10:05 pm »

Part two-   ;D   ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 06:39:02 pm »

You know.  Huds you are the best.  I have had my hands in 60 year old dust 1800 different types of varnish from old furniture and enough grease to run a Mcd's french fryer.  All I needed was a few seconds of fun and you did it. 

I told you you cpms members are a crazy group.  Love you all.

Cheers

Polarbear
Oli1001
  • Very Senior Member
  • www.CanadianCurrency.ca
    • Canadian Currency
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 07:04:18 pm »

Huds your nuts! Can't wait to see you at the CNA.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 07:26:54 pm »

WOW!!!  :o

I don't know what to say....

My questions is, what were the objectives of the experiment and what was learned so far from the experiments?  ???

I have had a chance to examine some AOF and both with and without varnish AOG's. it is very interesting to say the least.

I am just curious why they printed some without... And why wait to release the non-varnish notes? This does not happen by accident....

« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:28:49 pm by X-Savior »

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
copperpete
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS #1408
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 08:33:36 pm »

I think that the varnish is put in the last printing step, after the serials.  Otherwise, if this coating in impervious to the inks, it would be difficult to print on..., so in a last step, the varnish would seal the paper and all the printing.  Maybe the BABN run few millions notes before they decided to apply the varnish, for some reason, instead to begin the new serie with the varnish. 

I think to a thing:  it seems that the "changeover" from the unvarnished to varnished notes occured somewhere in the AOG prefix, it will have a sub-category in the future pricing list (Charlton's)?, involving all the AOF 2006 and a part of the AOG?

suretteda
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 09:43:57 pm »

Mr. Surette,

This is in response to your recent e-mail requesting information on the new security features on the latest series of Canadian bank notes - the Canadian Journey series.  You also wondered whether all notes in the series are printed on heavier paper and coated with a protective varnish.

All denominations of bank notes in the Canadian Journey series are protected by a now-familiar set of improved security features, including a metallic holographic stripe, a watermark portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread woven into the paper, and a see-through number.  These notes also have security features that are found on previous note issues - these include features like raised (intaglio) ink, fine line details, microprint and UV features.

To learn more about the security features on Canadian bank notes, visit our web site at http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html.

When the upgraded $5 note was issued on November 15 of last year, it was printed on a slightly heavier paper and coated with a protective varnish to increase its durability and improve its quality in circulation.  No other note denominations currently feature the heavier paper and varnish.

I hope this information is useful.  Thank you for your interest in Canadian bank notes.

Jeffrey H. Abbott
Senior Analyst | Analyste Principal
Bank Note Communication and Compliance | Observation et communication sur les billets de banque
Bank of Canada | Banque du Canada
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 10:20:10 pm »

This is in response to your recent e-mail requesting information on the new security features on the latest series of Canadian bank notes - the Canadian Journey series.  You also wondered whether all notes in the series are printed on heavier paper and coated with a protective varnish.

All denominations of bank notes in the Canadian Journey series are protected by a now-familiar set of improved security features, including a metallic holographic stripe, a watermark portrait, a windowed colour-shifting thread woven into the paper, and a see-through number.  These notes also have security features that are found on previous note issues - these include features like raised (intaglio) ink, fine line details, microprint and UV features.

To learn more about the security features on Canadian bank notes, visit our web site at http://www.bankofcanada.ca/en/banknotes/index.html.

When the upgraded $5 note was issued on November 15 of last year, it was printed on a slightly heavier paper and coated with a protective varnish to increase its durability and improve its quality in circulation.  No other note denominations currently feature the heavier paper and varnish.
So, aside from hyping the security features which all of us are very well aware of, the statement about the varnish is inaccurate seeing as it does not mention that there were roughly 12,200,000 notes (AOF3.8M to AOG6.0M) issued without it.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

This is VERY True.

So why would they not admit this fact or are they even aware that the printer delivered notes without the feature.

Now this comes back to my original question, why did it take almost 1/2 a year for these notes to surface? It seems very clear these notes had been withheld for some reason then when they finally decided to release them they come in a HUGE flood across the country.  ???

Being these notes were from the same paper as the late Non-Security did CBN Print these before handing off to BABN for the remainder of the printing /w the Varnish Application? Was the varnish not yet available during initial print runs? Was there a last minute change in the formula required so they abruptly terminated the final process until they could rectify the problem?

There is something they are not telling us....  Something like this does NOT go un-noticed as these are the first first notes to feature this heavy paper and varnish application. This would have been a VERY big undertaking.

Has anyone tried testing on the serial numbers to confirm if the varnish is protecting them as well? If they are over top of the varnish we should be able to prove it.

Here is a theory:

Step 1: Release notes with Varnish 1/2 a year in advance, check wear in Circulation
Step 2: Then release non-protected notes and wait for say another 9 months (Roughly the end of the year) and compare wear between them.

I am going to assume there were some kind of "Wear Guarantee" by the printer so this is a field test to prove this (Due to the higher cost per note must be Justified).

If Successful they may get the contract to starting other denominations in the "Varnish" with the backing of a proven track record. Most likely they are considering this for the $20 denomination next.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:06:16 am by X-Savior »

Seth
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 04:24:02 pm »

This is my theory too.

But I don't think that he varnish has helped much.  If anything it just makes the notes brittle, and they seem to "crack" and then tear more easily. 

I'll guess that when the new series starts to appear in 2011 that we won't be seeing paper at all anymore; it'll be polymer for our notes.

Track your Canadian currency online!

http://www.whereswilly.com
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2007, 09:22:50 pm »

FYI
Recieved today AOG5873199-218
Fp # 68
Bp # 63
no varnish
Has anybody found #s just over 6.0 with varnish??

X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2007, 09:55:47 pm »

That is what we are waiting for.

These is a very strong feeling that the Changeover should be VERY close to the 6M Mark.

Good Find, I would consider keeping some of them until we can further determine how close they are to the X-Over.

coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2007, 10:00:09 pm »

Thanks I'll do that.

Login with username, password and session length