Author
Topic: Buyer (and seller)Beware!  (Read 24374 times)
Ottawa
  • Very Senior Member
  • World Paper Money Collector
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46:27 pm »

And as far as paper money and coins are concerned we should never forget that you can lose a hell of a lot more because of a grading error than on any swing in the US$ conversion rate! Do you remember those "Choice Unc" $50 Osbornes on eBay a few months ago (reported on this Forum) that turned out to be nothing more than laundered EF's?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:27:40 am by Ottawa »

" Buy the very best notes that you can afford and keep them for at least 10 years. " (Richard D. Lockwood, private communication, 1978).
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2007, 09:51:10 pm »

And as far as paper money and coins are concerned we should never forget that you can lose a hell of a lot more on a grading error than on any swing in the US$ conversion rate! Do you remember those "Choice Unc" $50 Osbornes on eBay a few months ago (reported on this Forum) that turned out to be nothing more than laundered EF's?

Very true! 
buxvet
  • Is there anybody in the ceremony is about to begin
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2007, 10:00:28 pm »

And as far as paper money and coins are concerned we should never forget that you can lose a hell of a lot more on a grading error than on any swing in the US$ conversion rate! Do you remember those "Choice Unc" $50 Osbornes on eBay a few months ago (reported on this Forum) that turned out to be nothing more than laundered EF's?

Hey
I'd like a laundered EF $ 50 Ozzy ;D
buxvet
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2007, 10:08:06 pm »

Well I dunno twoin. You must be a lot more intelligent than me.

I don't get it. As far as I'm concerned I paid for all my purchases in CAD

As I said earlier if the USD tanks the way you predict there are gonna be big repercussions to the world economy. However it will adjust.

Nothing would surprise me though. The market ALMOST ALWAYS overreacts either to the upside or the down. Thats why people that understand how to play make the big bucks.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2007, 02:42:18 am »

Yeah Brent ....cut it out! ;D
friedsquid too?!!

I do believe we now have the legal definition of a conspiracy.

Rob, you're in charge of bringing a very large amount of coffee to the Sarcasm Class, and I've reserved a special seat for you, right up front beside Hudson.

RP: Bring your drool cup and you can sit beside Rob. :D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2007, 07:13:51 pm »

Oh goodie!  Then TIV can sell me all of his US paper at par so I can use it to buy Hud's radar notes at face value.

Sorry rp,sold you and others my $usd at $1.60+...."he that has ears let him hear"

I can use it to buy Hud's radar notes at face value.

Quite the dreamer I'd say!

Hey, it could happen
see above

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2007, 07:18:23 pm »

BWJM wrote
Rob, you're in charge of bringing a very large amount of coffee to the Sarcasm Class, and I've reserved a special seat for you, right up front beside Hudson

Ohhhhhh noooooooo you dont! I'll sit in class,be a good study,and use the cup when appropriate...BUT......

You and sirfried have acted out the legal definition of a conspiracy and we are entitled to re-dress.This is actionable tort as well.
Send me 10 of those VG 1973's and we'll forget the whole thing.(in a plain brown please)

twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2007, 07:23:37 pm »

Hey....whaddya know...........lol

Dollar Approaches Record Low Versus Euro After Inflation Report
By Min Zeng and Bo Nielsen

April 17 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar approached an all-time low versus the euro and declined against most major currencies as a government report on inflation added to concern the U.S. economy is slowing.

The dollar has lost 1 percent versus the euro over the past four days, falling today to a more than two-year low on bets Europe's economic performance will outpace that of the U.S. The yield advantage of U.S. Treasuries over German bunds dropped to the narrowest since December 2004, reducing the allure of dollar- denominated assets. A British report showing higher inflation pushed the pound above $2 for the first time in 15 years.

The inflation data ``adds fuel to fire that the dollar will continue to trend lower,'' said Jeff Gladstein, global head of foreign-exchange trading in Wilton, Connecticut, at AIG Financial Products. ``The U.S. is going through a slowdown.''

The dollar fell 0.18 percent to $1.3560 per euro at 12:25 p.m. in New York, touching $1.3594, the lowest since Dec. 31, 2004. The all-time low of $1.3666 was reached the previous day. The dollar dropped 0.60 percent to 119.02 yen, falling from a seven-week high yesterday.

In another currency development,the pound topped the $2.00 mark in today’s session; something that has not occurred since September 1992, 15 years ago.

--------------------------------------------------------

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2007, 08:17:04 pm »

My teeny experiment shows that other than most 1937 notes having exceptional paper quality... the 1973 ECAs in VG to EF show exceptional rolling quality too. I'll be sitting in the back of the class watching the sarcasm show.  ;)
Yea, I could learn a lot from Brent and squid mon. ;D

Reggae forever
PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2007, 09:00:23 pm »

My teeny experiment shows that other than most 1937 notes having exceptional paper quality... the 1973 ECAs in VG to EF show exceptional rolling quality too.

Well, evidently some people are smoking something, because they fell for the whole ECA thing hook line and sinker. One such sucker called me from a mall asking what the skinny was on them as he was considering buying some, and the other emailed me wondering if it was just the ECA notes, or if other notes in that series were special too.

Rob: Take a 1973 $1 note, doesn't matter which, and photocopy it ten times. Then take a marker, scratch out the prefix and write in "ECA" on each. Then crumple up each of those ten notes, roughly flatten them out again. Dunk each sheet in some strange, smelly chemical that is probably toxic in some form, then hang them up to dry. When no longer moist, put them into a plain brown envelope. Write "To: Rob, From: Brent" on the envelope, then mail it to yourself. Now you've got 10 authentic ECA "test" notes in VG condition, worth $50 each. Cheers!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
AL-Bob
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2007, 09:14:06 pm »

Sorry T.I.V. but I'm with buxvet on this. You obviously think you know everything about the declining USD so I won't argue for or against your doomsday predictions there. But I do simply fail to follow the logic behind your statements that those predictions have anything at all ... A-N-Y-T-H-I-N-G to do with the benefits or perils of buying/selling in USD.

Collectors need to be aware that holding paper notes in usd is going to hurt them financially.
Why buy 10 UNc 1937 $1's at $700usd x $1.1380 = $796.60 CND presently when in the near future holding those same notes will drop in value for Canadian dollar purchasers to,say $700 X $1.01=$707 CND.

What in the world does it mean to hold a Canadian note in USD? It's not as if there were "CAD" $1 1937 Gordons and "USD" $1 1937 Gordons. When you buy a note, no one is putting a secret invisible stamp on it fixing it's value to any particular currency. If the USD collapses, all the better for your purchase. At least you'll have gotten rid of your USD and bought something with apparently better investment potential (Canadian banknotes!!).

I'll see your "Um....... ???,and raise to " ??? ??? ??? What?!"

That may be ok for today but what about tomorrow.You'd have to be financially in-ept to continue to operate that way.(that is a general comment,not directed at anyone personally)For instance if the exchange is 1.61 that you use on todays bid,yet several years from now the exchange you MUST use is 1.01,you're kinda out 50 plus percent?

You're not out by anything at all! If several years ago, you were dividing all your USD bids by a factor of 1.61, as we all were, and now (or in the near future) that factor is 1.01, well the notes you've held in the meantime have INCREASED in value in USD terms by a bonus 60%. Exactly the same as if you had bought the note in CAD in the first place.

All that said, I would not encourage sellers to list notes in USD for a completely different reason. Obviously, if the intended audience is international, there could be some merit in using a Non-canadian currency. But for a canadian seller to force a canadian buyer to pay exchange rate fees to convert their currency, only for the seller to pay additional fees to convert back the canadian is totally ridiculous. Ebay/Paypal goes to great lengths to encourage us to do this, as it double or triples the fees they collect at absolutely no cost to them. As a buyer, I'll bid on USD merchandise all the time, but if the seller is canadian, I always simply do the conversion myself and pay him in Canadian dollars.  8)

Al

« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 09:15:56 pm by AL-Bob »

AL-Bob(at)cdnpapermoney com
buxvet
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2007, 10:18:32 pm »

I don't particularly disagree with TIV assesement about the future of the USD and economy. They have high deficits, are in a war without a forseeable exit strategy, have a housing market in complete disarray, lack natural resources and are a nation not lacking enemies. All these factors do not point to a rosy economic future. It may well be a disaster real quick. The Canadian Dollar has moved from .85 to about .885 in pretty quick order.

I just don't think it matters what currency you use to make your purchase.

But just to be safe I'm placing all future bids on Ebay.in
and paying for all my notes in Rupees

Thank you very much ;D
jasper
  • Paper Money is art!
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2007, 10:23:04 pm »

I bought a Banque Provinciale 1919 orange $5 note in VG-Fine condition in 2002 for $100 US, equivalent to $161 Cdn.  A couple of years later, I sold it for over $700 Cdn. 

And I thought I got a good deal on that note at C$700  :(.  So now I am going to have to sell it for $5000 in a few years to post the same return.
buxvet
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2007, 09:27:30 pm »

The C$ charge has slowed down but is continuing upward. Were up to .895. The previous recent high was around 6-8 months ago when the dollar briefly hit 0.9105. There seemed to be a lot of resistence in the .90-.91 cent range. The USD also hit a record low today against the EURO.

I don't understand the markets well enough to know. But why are US stocks running up to record levels with all whats going on.

And twoin. What is your forcast for the CAD$ against the US$ in 3-6- and 12 months from now.
twoinvallarta
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2007, 10:57:58 pm »

bux,
I see a few have come hollering against my"prediction" lol..It's called market trend(s),sentiment,facts,reality,ect.I will not try to educate the few that have closed minds, suggest I "know it all"(good gawd how i wish!),or that summarize with"If i had a dollar",as if this statement is logical,factual and even worth considering...........puuuuuleeze.

Now  bux,take a look at what the front page of a foreign mag had to say on it's front cover the USD.It is an amazing graphic! The picture is a color scan of the cover from the April 14th, 2007 edition of the Dutch magazine FEM Business. "Het Dollartijdperk is voorbij" is Dutch for "The era of the dollar is over".This mag is no rag,but a very esteemed publication in that part of the world.
The news of the USA and the US Dollar heading for trouble is starting to penetrate the minds of this world also.

You-
I don't understand the markets well enough to know. But why are US stocks running up to record levels with all whats going on

Think American trade deficit,the yen carry trade,China trade surplus almost 1 Trillion USD and the TIC market(the most important of all is the TIC)

You wrote--
What is your forcast for the CAD$ against the US$ in 3-6- and 12 months from now.

We've almost hit my first target of usd .8057.Quite frankly,since I posted  the usd on forex has really tanked quicker than I expected.Tonight it's trading .8127.  3/4 of a cent and then .7200.Once .7200 gives....5600,believe it or not is in the realm of possibilities.

If you recall ,I mentioned the Euro would trade 1.36 to the $usd,pullback,then continue its march north.It indeed did that,and tonight trades 1.3644vs the Humpty Dumpty had a great fall usdollar.

Not perdictions,educated guesses.Take it or leave it,this is not investment advice.

Login with username, password and session length