Author
Topic: CPMS vs CNA??  (Read 5316 times)
Elwoodbluesca
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Metro Coin & Banknote Company - Toronto Coin Expo
    • Metro Coin & Banknote Company
« on: May 27, 2007, 09:30:30 pm »

I would like to find out what the differences between the two different groups are. Are there advantages/disadvantages to belong to one over the other? What one to join?

Thanks

www.metrocbc.com - Metro Coin & Banknote Company
www.torontocoinexpo.ca - Toronto Coin Expo
President - Canadian Paper Money Society #1605
Director - J. Douglas Ferguson Foundation
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 09:47:09 pm »

I am a very new member of the CPMS and the reason that I decided to join was because the focus was on banknotes.  My daughter is a junior member of the CNA and the news letters she receives tends be focused on coins. They also have an excellent start up kit especially designed for kids interested in the hobby. I believe this is really the main difference if I am not mistaken.
Either way, both are well worth the minimal costs one must make.
Hopes this helps

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Rag Picker
  • CPMS 1652
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 11:10:25 pm »

Lots of collectors join a number of organizations.  The Canadian Numismatic and Ontario Numismatic Associations are basically all encompasing with many specialized collectors as active members.

Myself, I'm a member of WCS & CNA and used to have a membership in the CTCCC (Canadian Tire Money Club).  I haven't decided to join CPMS yet, but being that I collect both coins and paper money, it might be a good idea if I want to develop the latter hobby more.

Each club/organization has it's benefits as friedsquid stated.  Fred Freeman who is involved in the Canadian Coins 101 (formerly Coin Kids) course is active in a number of local clubs and does a great job promoting beginner collectors.  Whatever your interest both the CNA and ONA can direct you to these specalized groups.

While you don't get the benefit of monthly meetings as you do when joining a local club, most of the well known groups meet at the major shows such as the upcoming CNA show in Niagara Falls in July.

rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2007, 12:59:19 pm »

I am a member of the CPMS, I waited until Mister Dunn had a radar number available, so I was pleased with 1221, I also have radar in the CNA, 11111. Membership to various organizations is helpful as they all bring forth information and keeps one on top. Both outfits do a fine job, and along with the ONA are a must for serious numismatists. The cost is little for any of them, rules are few and far between. Sign up, most can be done by email.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length