Author
Topic: Specimen $5 Journey Series in Ebay  (Read 14435 times)
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 08:06:02 pm »

Right on!  ;)

What was the final price? I missed it...

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2007, 03:27:33 am »

Of interest here is that the note is lacquered in the same manner as high AOG notes.

Also, the scans don't make it obvious, but the SPECIMEN stamps are actually bilingual... one says "SPECIMEN", the other says "SPÉCIMEN" (note the É). The font of the overprints is also new. It has never before been seen on released specimen notes, although I have seen it in use on a sheet of SPECIMEN-stamped $10 notes at the BoC last summer (private tour).

Other than the serial number and red overprints, there are no discernible differences between this note and any other lacquered 2006 $5 note.

So, now that this lot is sold and the note has a new owner, I am curious to hear (if people care to share) what your thoughts are about the note... Estimated value is an obvious first question, but also about how it got out, why AOG as opposed to AOF, why nobody else bid on it, what your maximum bids would have been, etc.

Maybe I'm way too crazy, but I honestly figured the note would sell for far more than it did.

Thoughts?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2007, 03:36:29 am »

I still tink dis note just got mixed up with the regular stuff by accident. I was expecting a teeny bit lower couse it was circulated instead of Unc/Au like most specimens. Of course did first bid $250 at first den decided $325 near da end but too late.  :-\

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2007, 04:46:40 pm »

All I can say is, if you hadn't bid on it, it would have been mine.  I'm not sure I would have noticed the different type font.  Good buy.

blumax
Wagnert
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2009, 10:26:33 pm »

Really kool about the banknote. I just learned of it from reading this. Did anyone ever think maybe the 0000000 (first notes from the series), was used instead as an overprint instead of being distroyed? It wouldnot be haer to layout the Speceimen part and control number on a regular note, and once set up witon tolerance, then use the 0000000 note. Just an idea, with could support the handling marks on the banknote.

Login with username, password and session length