Author
Topic: Specimen $5 Journey Series in Ebay  (Read 14021 times)
chilliwackdave
« on: June 25, 2007, 03:11:29 pm »

I have not heard of specimens in this series. Are we able to get them in UNC.?

Item # 150135414756
Archey80
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 03:27:31 pm »

WOW! That is to cool!

CPMS Member 1564
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
  • CNA Member 21689 and CPMS Life Member 100
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 05:57:33 pm »

I would caution any members who are considering bidding on this specimen note that you risk it being
confiscated by the Bank of Canada.  The Bank of Canada no longer issues specimen notes to financial
instituitions, and as such, this note was either stolen or unlawfully released at the printers or the BoC.

I would not be surprised if eBay pulls this auction listing before it officially ends, as this specimen note
remains the property of the Bank of Canada.

Several year ago Charles Moore had some 1967 proofs, as lots in a Torex auction, and they were pulled
at the request of the Bank of Canada.

If this auction does go to completion, the Bank of Canada could easily collect contact information for the
buyer and seller and confiscate the bank note without reimbursing the buyer for the funds paid to
purchase the note.

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2007, 06:16:54 pm »

I emailed someone at the BOC earlier today regarding this note.
If I hear anything back I will post it

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2007, 07:02:32 pm »

I will contact an analyst  tomorrow from the bank of Canada and give her the heads up on it.    I think this is very suspicious because the speciman notes usually have the printing a little more conspicuously noticable.   Am i incorrect in my evaluation? 

I see some people have offered to buy it now. It does seem to be getting a lot of  interest though. 
 Hmm seems fishy to me.

Cheers

Polarbear
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2007, 07:22:33 pm »

I sent an email to Sylvie Dionne as soon as the listing went up on eBay but her email automatically
replied that she is out of the office until June 28th.  I have left phone messages with the two persons
she left as contacts in her abscence.  My email read as follows:

Attn.: Sylvie Dionne
Bank Note Communication and Compliance Team
Bank of Canada

Hello Sylvie,

I thought you and the Bank of Canada should be aware of the fact that a specimen of the security upgraded
2006 $5 Jenkins-Dodge bank note, with control number 0213 and serial number AOG0000000, is being offered
for sale on eBay.  The seller of the note is located in Surrey, BC.

Here is the link to the auction listing which ends at 4:45 AM EDT on June 28th, 2007.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150135414756

As a collector of Canadian paper money, am I allowed to bid on and own this bank note, or is this considered the
property of the Bank of Canada ?

Your feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

...Arthur

Arthur Richards
Contributor, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd and 29th Edition
Pricing Panel Member, Charlton Catalogue of Canadian Government Paper Money, 21st Edition 2009
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2007, 07:28:33 pm »

Very cool...!  8)

I am very curious as well.

I know that they DO have the Specimens but they will not sell them until the next auction AFTER the next series is released. At least this was my understanding in the usual "Read between the lines" deal with the BoC.  ;)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
canada-banknotes
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 02:02:00 pm »

Response from Bank of Canada to my email:

Arthur,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning a specimen $5 bank note being offered for sale on eBay.

Whenever a new bank note or series is issued, the Bank of Canada provides other central banks, certain
law enforcement agencies, and various Bank of Canada employees with specimen notes for authentication
and education or training purposes.  Without seeing the specimen note in question, the Bank cannot
comment on its authenticity or prevent this note from being sold on eBay.  Should you bid on this item, you
do so at your own risk, as specimen notes were not intended for circulation.

Best regards,

Michael Duncan
Bank of Canada
Compliance Program Manager (Currency)
Department of Banking Operations
234 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G9
Telephone:  613 782-7057
Cell:  613 222-9054
Facsimile:  613 782-7533
Email:  mduncan@bankofcanada.ca

Arthur Richards
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 02:04:42 pm »

I JUST GOT THIS AS WELL

Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry concerning a specimen $5 bank note being offered for sale on eBay.

The Bank of Canada cannot establish the authenticity of a specimen note without examining it.  However, whenever a new note or series is issued, the Bank does provide other central banks, certain law enforcement agencies, and various Bank of Canada employees with specimen notes for authentication and education or training purposes.  Should you bid on this item, you do so at your own risk, as specimen notes were not intended for circulation.

Best regards,

Michael Duncan
Bank of Canada
Compliance Program Manager (Currency)
Department of Banking Operations
234 Wellington Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0G9
Telephone:  613 782-7057
Cell:  613 222-9054
Facsimile:  613 782-7533
Email:  mduncan@bankofcanada.ca

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
blumax
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 02:53:08 pm »

What a curious item.  As I was reading the forum thread, I figured someone had just printed (letterpress) or color 'xeroxed' the 'specimen' wording, but it's king of difficult to get the AOG0000000 serial number, isn't it.  It would seem that it would be pretty easy to track to a specific bank with the'0213' control nomber.  Does the RCMP get involved?

blumax
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 03:12:03 pm »

fast work guys .  I am still waiting for my response.  Cheers

Polarbear
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 04:13:11 pm »

So... This shows that the BoC DOES keep the specimens.

Somewhere I read that "Officially" they pull the 0 note for destruction during the printing stage...

I look forward to the next Auction to get a few matching serial sets and a couple complete Specimen sets!  ;)  8)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
viauauto
  • CPMS MEMBER #1625
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 09:22:39 pm »

Well.. I think we will be many people to watch the auction closely June 28 :)

I really like this note...  8)

Patrick

8) Patrick 8)
* Solids 1 Digit & Error Notes 4 Life*
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:29:19 pm »

Doh I live next to Surrey mon, I have nuttin to do with dis seller. No no no, Blaaaack magi...many sorries, tinking of wrong note. It could have accidentally fell into production line and dis note may be honestly reported lost at the printers and I tink the BoC doesn't report these publicly like anything else dey did wrong. Whoever, nice find doh.

Be funny...Dei gratia  ;D

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
bugsy
  • Forum Moderators
  • Money Doesn't Grow On Trees But is Made From Them?
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 12:37:18 am »

I have checked out the note by the auction # in the orig. post.  But when you try to do a search from the main page or in the money section it does not come up anywhere? Very strange, maybe it is just my computer or my ebay account? Has anyone else found it buy doing a search with out knowing the auction #? Like I said maybe it is just me but I would appreciate if some one else would try and let us know.  :o

Always looking for more Rotator Notes!!!

Login with username, password and session length