Author
Topic: Nametags?  (Read 10340 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:08 am »

At the CNA, I had a brainstorm (yes, I know... I should avoid such things). I thought that as a way to promote the forums and identify our members when they go to coin shows, club meetings or other hobby-related events, we could create some nametags. Not the hand-written "Hi my name is" sticky tags, but actual professional nametags.

After the convention, I spent some time with Photoshop and came up with one idea:
{http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6053/cpmfnametags1tl1.gif}

The main component clearly identifies the forums and provides a URL and the logo. It also shows the member's full name and their forum username for easy identification.

Below the main component are additional bars to represent membership in various groups or clubs. The obvious choices here would be the CNA, CPMS, ONA and other regional or local coin clubs. Should we ever get to that point, I suppose we could go by some "official" list of organizations recognized by the CNA or something. Each bar would state the organization name and a membership number. I don't think we ought to get into tags for special recognition of any kind within those organizations (ie: Fellow of the CNA, 1982). The bars would be attached to the components above by means of small brass rings in each corner or something of the like.

I would also like to propose that nametags only be allowed for members who have been here for over one year (so that a nametag shows dedication and commitment).

First question: What are your thoughts about making such a nametag and any of the other ideas proposed above?

Second question: Would you be interested in requesting such a nametag for yourself?

Third question: How much would you be willing to pay for such a nametag (for just the main component, and per organization bar below)?

If there is sufficient interest, I will pursue quotations and hopefully start taking orders. I think it would be really cool to see a small army of forum members all sporting professional nametags at the CNA in Ottawa next year!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 12:54:21 pm »

I think it would be really cool to see a small army of forum members all sporting professional nametags at the CNA in Ottawa next year!

The major concern I would have is that if members are found sleeping by dumpsters, do you really want people to know who they are and what group they can bring them back too? ;D

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 01:35:09 pm »

;)  But it would be valuable for identifying the body...

I think it is a great idea, but I don't think I would be comfortable.  When I am shopping I like to do so kind of anonomously.  Good idea, but after thinking about it (and yes, the design is nice) you would have to count me out.   But I am sure there are many people who would like to know who these names are.   :)

Huds

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
friedsquid
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS 1593
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 01:58:16 pm »

When I am shopping I like to do so kind of anonomously

I would have to agree with Hudson. Especially in my profession I will lose the edge if people know who I am 8)

Always looking for #1 serial number notes in any denomination/any series
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:24:20 pm »

Shopping? Leave the nametag at home when you go to the grocery store, folks. The dairy clerks don't care who you are.

This is meant to proudly show off your membership in both the forum and any other related organizations while you are at coin shows, club meetings, etc. Every single CNA registrant wears a nametag.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:46 pm »

I agree...

I think it is a good idea, and if you want to do a little covert shopping you can just remove the tag for a little bit. It does help members to identify each other fromt he forum. It is nice when you run into another member.

Yes, no need to wear the name tag when going down to Sobey's though....  ;D

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
coinboy
  • CPMS # 1351
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 05:39:12 pm »

I think it is a great idea, but I don't think I would be comfortable.  When I am shopping I like to do so kind of anonomously.  Good idea, but after thinking about it (and yes, the design is nice) you would have to count me out.

Hey Huds

If u had a name tag on at CNA in the 'falls you might still not still be looking for that illusive 5364 radar you are so hot for.

I think it's a great idea....to put a face to the word we read here.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 05:52:37 pm by BWJM »

Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 09:43:12 pm »

At least, I think it would be nice recognize another member prior to or after shows, even a local get together with a few members would be great just to put a name to a face. Show and tell, compare notes, practice grading, BoC conspiracy theories, talk 'shop' stuff like that. So far, If we lined up everyone without Nametags, I could pick out myself and Raven (And I'm sure everyone could pick out Raven).

Dei Gratia,
PD

PS. Just throwing a number out here...$2 if it's just cardboard, $5 Plastic (like a Credit card), $35 Solid engraved Brass with NSNS #729? Whatever...Maybe I'd include that the time submit my membership fee later this fall.  :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 10:52:39 pm by Punkys Dad »

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 10:11:58 pm »

Hey Huds

If u had a name tag on at CNA in the 'falls you might still not still be looking for that illusive 5364 radar you are so hot for.

I think it's a great idea....to put a face to the word we read here.

Yeah you are probably right.  :P 
PS: Still looking.  If you can "find" it, let me know.  ;) 
I haven't recieved a notice from the owner yet.

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 10:29:37 pm »

Still looking for people to indicate whether or not they are interested in requesting a nametag, and how much you would be willing to pay to have one.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
X-Savior
  • Very Senior Member
  • Been There, Done That.... Wanna do it again?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 11:13:30 pm »

Well Brent,

I think many people like the idea but it is asking someone how much for a banknote?  ???

How about showing some examples of different quality items and let people choose. I am sure for a reasonably high quality tag people would be willing to chip in a fair price for what it costs.  :)

Sorry Ladies...I am now a Married Man!!!
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 11:26:18 pm »

I'm working on getting quotes from various sources. The way I am working this, they would be high quality, plastic nametags with full colour printing, not the cheaper engraved tags. Use the graphic in my first post as an example. I've also asked for some samples, so when they come in, I'll post a photo.

The other reason I ask is because if people are not interested in this, or if they would only pay $2 for a nametag, then it's not even worth my effort to pursue this further. But if a reasonable number of people are willing to shell out a reasonable price, then I will certainly work towards firming up a series of quotes.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:28:01 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Raven
  • “Money IS the root of all evil.”
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 05:15:25 am »

... So far, If we lined up everyone without Nametags, I could pick out myself and Raven (And I'm sure everyone could pick out Raven).

Dei Gratia,
PD

PS....

If everyone wears the togs 'Phil' has even with a pair of shoes, everyone should pick out PD because of his loud Hawaiian shirts. PD you have very little fashion know how.

Princess Diana is dead yet the vultures still circle. And I'm not interested in nametags.
Raven
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:17:04 pm »

Anyone attending the TNS show in Hamilton, I will provide professional name tags for $4 each if you let me know ahead of the September 28 show.

Rick
rscoins@cogeco.ca
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 12:42:32 pm »

I've gotten one quote back so far and it looks like $15/person should get you a nice nametag. Each club bar below would be $2 extra. This is assuming that I can assemble an order of 10 nametags. The cost will go up for less, and it will drop if we can order more (setup fee and shipping).

Again, these are hard plastic full colour nametags with the forum name and URL, your full name and forum nickname, and a full colour logo. At your choice, you can also include additional bars below the nametag to show your membership in various clubs including the CPMS, CNA, ONA, etc. (CNA-recognized clubs list). These would hang from the main nametag by means of small metal rings attached at the corners.

{http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/6053/cpmfnametags1tl1.gif}

This is a great way to promote the forums and let people know who you are when you are at coin shows, club meetings, etc.  Use of a nametag is completely optional and nobody is obligated to wear it at any time, but of course doing so is encouraged. Plus, showing off such a fancy nametag would be a great conversation starter!

Now would be a good time for anyone to suggest any modifications to the proposed design.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:36:35 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length