Author
Topic: My very first insert note  (Read 4497 times)
jtfrogger
« on: March 21, 2008, 01:29:59 am »

Paper currency is a new fascination for me.  I found this forum and starting poking around.  After reading about insertion notes, I got very interested.  So, I decided today that I would go get $500 in $5s today.

Now, that was a challenge in itself.  The teller at my bank could only give me money out of the machine and would not be able to guarantee if they were new or circulated.  She did offer to test pulling out a few to see if there were new ones in there.  She also offered to deposit any circulated notes if I didn't want them, but I took them anyway.  In the end, I only got $150 in new $5s a bunch of circulated $5s and a handful of uncirculated $10s.

As I flipped through my $5s, I had the range APC5565700 through APC5565729.  Low and behold, #15 was missing and replaced with AOV5285319.  And after finding the following thread, I see that it is within a confirmed range of inserts:  http://www.cdnpapermoney.com/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0.

I'm happy.  I figured I would share this here, since I am sure others would appreciate this.  I am going to keep this note.  It is, after all, my first born.

What do other people do when they find inserts?  Do you keep the other bills surrounding them?

Can anyone give me an estimation for how much this bill would be worth?
Punkys Dad
  • Very Senior Member
  • I keep my $1000 bill collection at Squid's place
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 02:05:40 am »

Paper currency is a new fascination for me.  I found this forum and starting poking around. 

What do other people do when they find inserts?  Do you keep the other bills surrounding them?

Can anyone give me an estimation for how much this bill would be worth?

Hi jtfrogger and Welcome to the forum,

Congratulations on your very first find. I found my first insert (or more accurately termed ...replacement note) in December 2006 which didn't seemed so long ago and I understand the feeling. I still have it my AOK replacement along with it's siblings from the same brick of 1000 new notes. You could hear plenty of stories from members how they acquired their notes by doing what you just did, that is Brick searching, otherwise trading, or buying is the other route.
Lately on eBay I've noticed AOVs sell around $12 to $15 average, the next Charlton guide I think coming out this summer I expect to quote around $25.
Often I like to keep one regular note as the shoulder to the replacement myself.

Dei Gratia mon,

PD

Teeny guy on my shoulder sez, It's only money mon
polarbear
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Very Senior Member
  • Paper Money is Art!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 04:28:47 pm »

congratulatons on your find.  You will find a huge amount of fun and excitement on this forum.  the only problem is it is addictive. 

welcome

cheers

Polarbear
jtfrogger
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:34:18 am »

Thank you both for the welcome.

As a side note, I chose to keep the note before and after.  I figured that would be an easy way for me to remember exactly which note was being replaced.  I can always chose to spend one of those in the future if I feel I only want to keep one of them.
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 02:43:19 pm »

Congrats on your first find. 
It is really intriguing isn't it!?

There has been alot of work put into this area by many many collectors - so if you are ever for want of reading, just ask. :-)

If you are into the treasure hunt, then best wishes to you!! 

Have a great day!!

Hudson

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.

Login with username, password and session length