Author
Topic: BC-63a Journey $10 Missing Purple Litho on Face  (Read 5897 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 08, 2004, 06:54:22 pm »

Hi all,

I purchased this note today at the Paris coin show.  It seems to be missing at least one layer of lithographed printing, specifically the purple layer.  Notice especially that the signatures, the hidden flag, the library of parliament, the library microprint and the background microprint are all not present.

I've checked and this is not a counterfiet note.  The maple leaves function normally, the latent "10" in the left-hand band works, the intaglio is there and is raised, the overall feel is right, and there is perfect crispness and clarity in Sir John A's eye and hair.

Attached is a low-res scan, and if you CLICK HERE, you can see a much larger scan.  Note, the large scan is over 600KB in size.

I'm looking for comments about what people think might have happened, overall impressions, and perhaps an estimate of value.  I know what I paid for it, and I know what one particular member of this forum will pay for it.

Overall, the note is in Fine condition with pen writing on the back.  The back of the note appears to be normal (ie: no colours missing).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 12:38:23 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
JB-2007
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2004, 12:01:31 am »

The color is completely faded, looks like its passed through the washing machine more than once.
How much did you pay for it?
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2004, 12:04:35 am »

Wrong... take a look at the close-up scan that I link to in my message.  If you will notice, an entire layer of printing is missing.

The fading or fuzziness might be from when I resized the image down to the small version, or when I saved it as a JPG.

The purchase price was $45.00.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Gary_T
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS radar member 1551
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:28:32 am »

It looks like there is more than one color missing.The brighter purple and the grey color from library building.
 To me $45 is a good price for this error, and you should be able to make a profit if you resold it.
 Is the back normal?

Gary_T
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 12:33:05 am »

See below for some better hi-res scans.  Click on the small versions to see the full-size scans.  The error note is displayed alongside a perfect note.

In the below image, notice that the signatures are clearly missing and that while there is some pink printing along the lower edge, there is no purple printing.  The pink lines run diagonally from top-left to bottom-right (like this: \\\\\\ ) and the purple lines run from bottom-left to top-right (like this: ////// ).  In the bottom-right corner, notice that all the purple ink is missing, leaving only the blue vertical and horizontal lines.
{http://currency.bwjm.ca/BC-63a_FDV6502080_Sigs_L.jpg:http://currency.bwjm.ca/BC-63a_FDV6502080_Sigs_S.jpg}

In this next image, notice that the purple plate number is missing, as well as all of the purple diagonal lines missing from the previous image.  Notice as well in the background of the coat of arms that the purple lines spread out to cause a purple background.  They are absent from the error note leaving a white background.  Again notice the blue vertical and horizontal dashes along the lower edge of the note.
{http://currency.bwjm.ca/BC-63a_FDV6502080_PN-Arms_L.jpg:http://currency.bwjm.ca/BC-63a_FDV6502080_PN-Arms_S.jpg}

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Martin
  • Global Moderator
  • CPMS member 1494
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 01:22:57 am »

Nice find Brent, can you give us the serial number of that note?

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 01:32:58 am »

Serial number is FDV 6502080.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
emsteph
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 02:51:07 am »

There is no chance that it went through the wash as Brent has stated the back of the note is fine. If it had, it would have been faded on both sides.

I doubt that it is a counterfeit. Why would a counterfeiter circulate an incomplete note and risk being caught?

Would the mint be able to prove it's authenticity?

Cool...almost a radar!!  :D
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 04:24:38 am »

It is most certainly not a counterfiet note.  As I said in a previous post, all security features check out including the most important: the precise intaglio printing.  Even the UV features check out (red fibres, non-reflective paper, blue ink)!

I've got a really good eye for spotting fakes and I can tell you without a doubt that it is real.

BTW: one of my many pet peeves is people who knowingly or not claim that the Mint deals with paper money.  They ONLY do coins.  They do ALL the coins, and they do them well.  The Bank of Canada is responsible for paper money.  They contract out to two companies to do the printing, but they distribute it and organize the nation's currency operations.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2004, 04:26:51 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length