Author
Topic: $20 National Launch (Vancouver) Exclusive Details  (Read 5263 times)
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« on: August 26, 2004, 05:06:16 am »

Hello fellow members,

I was at the National Launch of the $20 Journey Note in Vancouver which was held at the Vancouver Playhouse on the morning of August 25th.

There were many distinguished guests that attended this event, such as:
- Paul Jenkins - Sr. Deputy Governor of the Bank;
- Dr. Martine Reid - Widow of Bill Reid (Native artist);
- Barbara Hislop - Board of Directors of the Bank;
- Bill Richardson - Master of Ceremonies;
- Leonard George - Elder, Tsleil-Waututh Nation;
- Dr. Yolande Roy-Cyr, Niece of Gabrielle Roy (poem on note)

Also, other important guests that attended included:
- Pierre Duguay, Deputy Governor - Currency Note Operations;
- Jorge Peral, Art Director, Bank Note Designer of the Journey Series Notes;
- Various Canadian Police Chiefs and RCMP officials.

Well, I arrived around 9:30 a.m.  There were many guest in the main foyer of the theatre.  It was initation only to this event, and was NOT open to the public.
People were able to mingle in the foyer and they had a small Bank of Canada display of various uncirculated 1937 and 1954 notes which were low serial numbers below #17.  I chatted with some of the people that I knew.  I was listening to Paul Jenkins talk about the new notes and he mentioned that this was the "fun part of my job".  

At around 9:55 a.m., the people were asked to go into the theatre where there was a stage and three hanging video screens.  Altogether, there were approximately 100 people watching this event.  The media included all the national networks.  

At 10 a.m., the Press Conference began with introductory remarks by the Master of Ceremonies, Bill Richardson (known on CBC television shows).  Mr. Leonard George (Native Elder) then chanted a Native folk prayer to the audience and did some blessings.

At 10:08 a.m., Revenue Minister John McCallum made remarks about the significance of the new $20 note and the importance of Arts and Culture to all Canadians.

At 10:12 a.m., there was a dance performance by Alex Wong.  Quite nice.  

At 10:17 a.m., Barbara Hislop speaks about the partnerships with law enforcements and the bank notes as a work of art.  

At 10:20 a.m., Dr. Yoland Roy-Cyr reads an excerpt from Gabrielle Roy's novel "The Hidden Mountain" - (on the back of note - microprinting - "Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

At 10:25 a.m., Martine Reid speaks about her late husband and his influence on Canadian Arts and Culture.

At 10:30 a.m., there was a muscial performance by a local music group Bell Jar.

At 10:35 a.m., Paul Jenkins speaks about the innovative security features of the new $20 note (the and the importance of checking bank notes.  Then, Haida Chief, Jim Hart assisted with the unveiling - they showed the front side of the new note (with the new modified, older Queen's portrait) and then the back side design (where they discussed the importance of the four Native Artworks, "Mythic Messengers, The Spirit of Haida Gwaii, "The Raven and the First Men", "Haida Grizzly Bear".  There were some "wows!" from the audience and some clapping.  

At 10:38 a.m., while the official unveiling occurs (also coincides with the national press release on the Bank of Canada's website - exactly!) Nikea Collison, who is Bill Reid's granddaughter performed during the unveiling.  

Then, Paul Jenkins speaks about the art of Jorge Peral ( Art Director and Master Engraver) designer of the entire new Journey Series bank notes.

10:42 a.m., there was a large photo opportunity of all the platform guests, honourary guests, and artists on stage.

10:46 a.m., the ceromony was over.  Just more photo ops and on-site media interviews with the Bank's representatives.  

At 10:50 a.m., there was a media briefing session conducted by a Bank of Canada representative and the showing of the actual, real $20 Journey Series notes.  

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW

After the unveiling, I had the special opportunity to meet one-to-one with Mr. Jorge Peral, Art Director, Bank Note Designer of the $20 Journey Note.  I talked with him about his work for the Bank of Canada and his contribution to the design of the new note series.  He informed me that this new $20 note took him "about 5 to 6 months to design and complete".  He went on to tell me that the Queen's portrait were based on the official photograph taken of the Queen for the exlusive use of this note.  He said that this was the "most challenging and time consuming part of this note."  His wife and daughter was also in attendance.  He the talked about the metal engraving plates which he had to meticulously carve.  He was such a friendly person to deal with and someone that I was very honoured to meet personally.  Surprisingly, the media did not notice him because he kept a fairly low profile.  He is certainly a significant contributor to our new Canadian Journey Series Notes.  

I also took a photograph (using my camera) of him with the new designs of the $20 note.  He's such a gentleman.

I was given a special keep-sake momento that I will cherish in my collection for a very long time.  ;D  As well, I obtained the official media information press kit of this event - which describes in detail, biographies of each of the distinguished guests, the artists, the design features, bank note facts, etc.  

One particular guest (Dr. Martine Reid), obtained an official Bank of Canada leather hard-cover display presentation/book.  It was very nicely designed with elegant writings of the new $20 note.  As well, in the centre of the book, there was a design of the Haida Grizzly Bear.  There was also a $20 note (front-side displayed) enclosed inside of this presentation book - serial number is unknown.

Other guests during the food reception (such as the performers and distinguished guest) received new $20 notes which were presented in very thick lucite holder.  The prefix of these notes were in the EYG1292*** range.

Well, I took some photographs of this launch and once they are developed, I will display some of them on this website.

I had an excellent time there.  It was an event to remember.  

;D

{http://www.canadanewswire.ca/images/rtphotos/Photo-3734.jpg}

Haida Chief, Jim Hart (from left); Paul Jenkins, Senior Deputy Governor of the Bank of Canada; and Bill Reid's granddaughter, Nika Collison, unveil the new $20 note Wednesday, August 25, 2004, in Vancouver. (CANADA NEWSWIRE PHOTO/Bank of Canada)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 05:27:27 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
coinsplus
  • Yabba Dabba D'OH$$$
    • More about me.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2004, 05:29:19 pm »

Canada's most popular bill gets facelift
By PETER KENNEDY
Thursday, August 26, 2004 - Page B1

VANCOUVER -- A brand new $20 bill, featuring a portrait of an older Queen Elizabeth, illustrations of works by West Coast artist Bill Reid and updated anti-counterfeiting features, will go into circulation next month.

Bank of Canada officials say they hope the added security components of the $20 note will discourage people from making fakes of what has become the most popular bill in circulation.

When it goes into circulation on Sept. 29, it will gradually replace about 600 million of the current version of the bill, which was issued in 1990.

The Bank of Canada said Mr. Reid's work was chosen because he is one of Canada's most internationally recognized artists.

Featured on the back of the new $20 note are illustrations of four Haida-inspired sculptures by Mr. Reid. They are: The Spirit of Haida Gwaii, the Raven and the First Men, The Haida Grizzly Bear, and Mythic Messengers.

Speaking to reporters in Vancouver yesterday, Bank of Canada director Barbara Hislop said the $20 bill has become the workhorse of the Canadian currency.

"It is the one that is used to make the most purchases and is also the one that is dispensed most often from Canadian bank machines," she said.

In a bid to maintain consumer confidence in the $20 bill, the new version comes with four new security features.

They include a new holographic stripe containing brightly coloured numerals and maples leaves which move when the note is tilted to one side. There is also a ghost-like image of the portrait of the Queen that is embedded in the new notes and can be seen from both sides, as well as see-through numbers and a security thread that resembles a series of exposed metallic dashes.

"Because there are so many security features on the bills, we are making it very difficult for people to counterfeit them" said Lisa Elliott, a senior representative for currency at the Bank of Canada.

However, added security features come at a cost. Ms. Elliott said the new notes will cost about 9 cents each to produce, compared with less than 6 cents for the existing ones.

In spite of the added cost, the move to launch the new note was applauded by representatives of the Canadian retail industry.

"We have been working with Bank of Canada on the launching of the new note and are very happy with the end result," said Kevin Evans, western vice-president with the Retail Council of Canada.

Industry officials were anxious to ensure that the introduction of the new $20 bill would not mean they had to invest more in security devices to ensure they are dealing with legal tender.

Martine Reid, the widow of Mr. Reid said she, too, is pleased with the note. Mrs. Reid said she was approached four years ago by Bank of Canada officials about the possibility of having some of her late husband's work featured on a new bank note.

"They wanted to keep it a secret," she said. A selection of possible sculptures was chosen by Jorge Peral, a Mexican engraver, whose work is featured on several Latin American currencies.

Mrs. Reid said the decision to use her husband's art means it will be on the world stage in the most efficient way. "Millions of people are going to see it and handle it."

« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 05:31:05 pm by coinsplus »

Smile from your heart.  ;D
jonathan
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 11:29:09 pm »

On August 26, coinsplus wrote:

When it goes into circulation on Sept. 29, it will gradually replace about 600 million of the current version of the bill, which was issued in 1990.

The soon-to-be old $20 was actually released in 1993, not 1990.  The date on the old $20 was 1991, however, but it wasn't issued until two years later.

Bye 4 now, Jonathan ;)

Login with username, password and session length