Author
Topic: *R/C $5 Beattie Rasminsky  (Read 16068 times)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« on: September 28, 2004, 05:49:48 pm »

I have noticed that a lot of the lower numbered Beattie Rasminsky *R/C $5 notes have the asterisk positioned unusually close to the prefix letters.  Does this suggest that this series of notes were printed as a regular series of notes and then had the asterisk added later?

Any thoughts?

unc_not_au
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 04:13:59 am »

I have a similar question... If I use the V/S 1954 series as an example and the *V/S replacements.  Do the *V/S replacement notes go into the regular V/S series, and if so with ca.400,000 replacements, why does the quantity printed in Charleton's show a full run of 10,000,000 for the regular instead of 9,600,000. That's a $2million accounting debacle.  Has anyone ever seen a asterisk note and a regular note with the same serial number and prefix? ???
Bob
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 12:30:41 pm »

If you dig out your 1981 CPMS Journals, on page 26 you will see a 1975 $50 with and without asterisk, with identical serial numbers, submitted by the late Herb Bishop.  The answer to the above question, then, is "yes".

Collecting Canadian since 1955
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 12:59:50 pm »

Bob, is there anything that you DON'T know? ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Bob
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 03:04:41 pm »

Yep.  Plenty.

spamltd
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2004, 05:06:34 am »

A good example concidering that this note was printed by the canadian bank note co  as were all of the 5 dollar notes in beattie rasminsky  The note pictured on page 330 of the current charlton 17 edition
Thanks
Bob
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 12:24:30 pm »

Has anyone ever seen a asterisk note and a regular note with the same serial number and prefix? ???

Here is a scan of the two $50 notes with the same serial number.  The top note has the asterisks; you may have to look closely for them.
Asterisk notes were issued in their own asterisk prefix series, so did not reduce the size of the issue with the same prefix and no asterisk.  The X notes used prefixes that were not used by regular issue notes, so no problem there either.  The modern "insert" notes, however, have been taken from a regular series and would, therefore, reduce the number of regular issue notes from a particular series.
I do not believe there has been any "accounting debacle.".

unc_not_au
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 10:29:46 pm »

But I believed that replacement notes actually replaced notes damaged or quality controlled, but for example 1954 modified non-replacements started at I/C9053655 and apparently continued uninterrupted without any damaged notes through to Z/C and A/S-Z/S and A/X-V/X7999999. Thats over 618 million notes without a glitch....impressive.
Bob
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2004, 11:39:23 pm »

OK, I have not made this as clear as I ought.  I will use the example given above of the V/S and *V/S $5's to illustrate.  First, I have already attempted to make the point that a sequence of numbers was not taken out of the V/S series to number the *V/S replacement notes; the latter is a separate series with its own set of serial numbers.  

What perhaps is not as clear as it needs to be, is that *V/S $5's could be used to replace defective, numbered notes in ANY prefix series of the same type - they did not all have to be used in the V/S series.  

That is not to say that all 10,000,000 V/S $5's made it through production without any mishaps, obviously.  Just using the catalogue numbers (page 219) for all the Beattie-Rasminsky $5's, I calculate that approximately three-tenths of one percent had to be replaced.  (This is probably a maximum figure since there may be, within the more extensive replacement series, lower and upper ranges - with unused numerical gaps in between, resulting from block numbering - that we do not yet know about.)

There seems to be no reason to suppose that one prefix would be greatly more accident prone than another, over the long haul of printing ten million notes, so it might not be too unreasonable to assume that 0.3 of one percent of every series, more or less, had to be replaced.  Thus instead of a 10,000,000 production for each prefix series, an issue of 9,970,000 might be a closer number, taken as an average.  

Finally, I am convinced that if the Bank of Canada paid for ten million notes, they received ten million notes, so no big accounting debacle seems likely.
Are we on the same wave-length yet?

The Original Ranman
  • Ya I know
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2004, 12:16:48 pm »

Wow.Bob your a walking encyclopedia ;D How many years have you been collecting?

Randy

Randy
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2004, 12:26:15 pm »

Since about 1832..... OK, that's somewhat of an exaggeration, but I'm sure he's been collecting a little longer than I have. ;) ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Bob
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2004, 03:29:35 pm »

Only since 1955, actually!  I'm nearing 50 years of collecting and haven't got tired of it yet.

Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2004, 05:19:53 pm »

Only since 1955, actually!  I'm nearing 50 years of collecting and haven't got tired of it yet.

Only....... I wasn't even a twinkle in my parents eyes then.....   :o
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2004, 05:36:38 pm »

Now Tom... don't make the poor guy feel old.  (even though you dwarf even me in years). ;D

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Tom
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS Life Member #96
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2004, 06:17:23 pm »

:-[

Login with username, password and session length