Author
Topic: Calling All Members - Springboard Research  (Read 10776 times)
Hudson A B
  • Very Senior Member
« on: August 17, 2009, 08:55:16 pm »

Hi everyone, I am very pleased to see how the note research is going ahead further and further.

Here is the timeline:
a) December 2007: Hudson makes bet with Oli and BWJM that he can figure out the position layout of sheets.
b) February 2008: BlackBoxMystery-01 and -02 are published online, identifying the layout for both BAI and CBN, documenting mostly the process by which it was arrived.
c) Refinements to previously understood insert ranges are made, placing the ranges within compatibility based on the new data (the insert notes were always found as inserts, so they of course remained in the zones).  From one Catalogue to the next (2006 to 2007), it was discussed that there were 88 refinements/corrections made, many of which as a direct result of our collective discoveries on printing/numbering based on BBM-01.
d) Soon after that, further research in great depth is done with regards to the oddity of the "mini-ream", by Mr. Marschner.  The conclusions have been discussed at length and they do not contradict the findings from BlackBoxMystery, other independent findings on position number placement, but rather Mr Marschner's work supports those articles and even further identify the process in which the notes come about. This is excellent news for the insert/replacement note segment of the hobby, and a huge unifying accomplishment amongst hobbyists and note enthusiasts.

e) Most recently, $10 printed on $20 paper has now surfaced, and the real search begins to identify how many of these notes could potentially exist, and how many have been found.  As a part of this, a core understanding of Mr. Marchner's mini ream placement must be understood, so that errant conclusions are not made.  An improper understanding of the "mini reams" could lead to an errant conclusion with regard to population of these notes.

e) Several people have banded together for the good of the hobby, sharing information about these errors, and have now paired that with the model that Mr. Marschner has built, which has been developed from my own BlackBoxMystery papers.  While we are not at a closing point of absolute population identification, we are able to trace the reams and ream positions in accordance to Mr. Marschner's model, in such a way that the precise numerical ranges can now be identified, as new ones surface.

Other:
Previous evidence showing two separate prefixes on a sheet In the prefixes(BEU, BEV, and BEW) is further demonstrated according to this new model, and this event is not denied by the BoC.  The main consecutive 40,000 being one, and the last 5000 consecutive being another.

The understanding of the placement of the mini ream FP/BP combinations is absolutely critical in identifying the precise group of 40,000 notes in which those numbers share the same sheets.

And here is where we are today. This incredibly important breakthrough, which has resulted from countless hours of research and collaboration by many members and enthusiasts, is something that can help us in all denominations from BAI (formerly BABN).

This is why I am asking, for the good of the hobby, that people report all notes they possibly can, that have the FP/BP from the mini ream.  By identifying where the mini reams are, we can identify the placement of the regular 40,000 note placement per ream. We can also further find boundaries, and also places where number gaps have been skipped, and also possibly identify some other irregularities.

As it stands, with regards to the phenomenon of "mini-reams", all denominations from BAI ONLY (that is notes starting with A or B) are following the model that has been derived from BlackBoxMystery, and Mr. Marchner's further work on developing that.

I would ask that if you find any notes that are from the "mini-ream", please report them to me in a private message.  All denominations, all prefixes, but ONLY from BAI (notes starting with prefixes A or B).  If you have the ability to specialize in a certain high denomination, please do so.  All information will be public information, and for the benefit to all collectors.  I can't think of a more exciting time in my past when so many people could work together for something so important, and all be a part of it.

I think that is all I wanted to say for now, please everyone, I greatly appreciate all the help.  If I see the fervor as in the BTT BTU (which I hope, cross fingers), then we will have an excellent data set to go by, going forward until our next mystery is out, the new series of bills, in a couple of years.

Thanks everyone and have an excellent day.

Hudson
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 04:14:07 am by BWJM »

CPMS Lifetime Member #1502.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 05:29:13 pm »

This work is very important for the ongoing understanding of how notes are numbered and even how insert ranges appear. The more information that can be collected, the better.

I will be working on developing a tool that forum members can use to input note data. Until it is ready, you can help out by doing the following:
- Post ALL of your BTT, BTU and BTV serial numbers and position numbers to the appropriate threads on this site (or PM me directly with this info).
- Send Hudson a PM with the prefix and serial number of ANY notes (all denominations) that have the following FPN/BPN combinations: 70/70 (X1), 96/84 (X2), 85/90 (X3), 68/63 (X4), 74/56 (X5)

Once a sufficient amount of data is collected, it will be analyzed and the results will be published for everyone in the hobby to use.

Your continued assistance and dedication will help keep up with our collective knowledge and will help solve many of the hidden mysteries with banknote numbering.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 06:21:24 pm by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:20:35 am »

UPDATE

Thank you to those members who have been contributing data so far!

I am looking to collect prefix, serial number, FPN and BPN data for ANY JOURNEY NOTE. The scope of this research has expanded considerably. The immediate goal is to accumulate a massive database of banknotes that we can use to fuel research of all kinds.

Here are a couple of the research projects on-going right now:
- BTT and BTU errors - Identifying what sheets were errors and how many error notes were produced
- "Matrix" layouts for all BAI $5 and $10 notes
- Identification, verification and/or adjustment of insert ranges with Gilles Pomerleau (more on this in the Sept CPMS Newsletter!)

All of the above research is drawing upon this growing database of notes, but we need your help!

Please record the prefix, serial number, FPN and BPN data for ANY JOURNEY NOTE that you come into contact with and send it to me by PM or email.

Right now, we're hindered by a lack of data for just about every prefix except the ones most common in circulation, and of course the BTT and BTU prefixes. But imagine if this database had been actively growing with contributions big and small from all sorts of members just like you! The database would be well-stocked right now and we would have no problem pulling out useful results. I would like to be at that point as soon as possible.

This research has several people really excited at the possibilities it could open up for numismatic research. But we need data! Please record data from your notes and send it to me.

If one person reported 25 circulated notes every weekday for a month, that's 500 more notes for the database. If everyone on this forum did that, we would have a ton of information and life would be swell.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 08:36:11 pm »

Alright... After much time and effort, I have a utility that forum members can use to input serial numbers into our giant tracking database!

I NEED SOME BETA TESTERS! If you would like to participate testing out this utility, please contact me! You would be expected to input data from as many Journey notes as you can while commenting on the site and offering suggestions for improvement and identifying bugs.

The utility will be released to all members soon, but I want to work out as many bugs as I can first. Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 08:35:02 am »

I still need a few people who would like to test out this new tool... It is being called the Serial Number Database and it's one of the most important research projects for modern notes --ever--.

This tool will also replace the High/Low system that we've been using for the last 6 or 7 years or so.

We've got over 21,000 notes recorded in the Serial Number Database (SNDB) already, and this number is growing every day.

Please contact me if you would like to get on board with this early and help refine it before we go live with everyone. Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
RADARjourney
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2009, 08:42:30 am »

I may be able to help. What kind of numbers do you need. I see lots of notes. Cheers Shawn in BC
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2009, 10:04:18 am »

Hi Shawn,

We're looking to collect data from ANY Journey note. I'll send you a PM with details on accessing the SNDB.

Thanks,

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
rocken
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 12:20:56 am »

Hi Brent , Let me know if u still need beta testers.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2009, 01:41:10 am »

Absolutely! I will PM you with details.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Budding error and variety collector!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2009, 02:01:25 am »

I can spare some time as well... I have a APE/APF mismatch note, I will grab it from my SDB and got the position numbers also.

Fenian

Error, Variety, and Special Serial Number collector
CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2009, 02:17:35 am »

OK, I've decided to email you instead of PM... Check your email please for details on the SNDB. Thanks!

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 02:20:36 am »

Thanks Brent! I have tomorrow off work, so I will start in the morning with what I have on hand.

Fenian

CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
Fenian
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 09:25:28 pm »

Popped in 21 notes so far, and discovered one low note - EYV0285573 32/51. Seems very easy to use.

Will it tell you about inserts if an entered note falls within a known (and confirmed) range like it does for highs/lows?
Seems like that would be a good feature to entice collectors to use the SNDB.

Regards,

Fenian

CPMS #1645
RCNA #22496
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 09:57:18 pm »

Yes, it will do that. I'll write up some documentation for the SNDB and post it to a more appropriate thread as soon as I can. There are a ton of features in here and I hope to add more as time permits.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length