Author
Topic: Someone other than HM on the $20?  (Read 16200 times)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2004, 11:38:38 am »

someone sounds a little bitter :o  I figure most of it's in jest, but if not, it might be a good idea to tone it down just a touch.  Some people may find your comments offensive.  Just an idea. :-/

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Steve11
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2004, 11:47:07 am »

Well maybe my wording was a bit "5 in the morningish".. however; when "change" to anything and I DO mean anything..hinges on Quebec giving the nod..re: health care, freedom of movement for employment..immigratin laws...judicial appointments...how far a streatch is it to make that without "Quebecs" nod..there would be nothing done to anything concerning money...Spend some time in the govt buildings here in Ottawa (as I and numerous others have done) and you will readily see..that while this may be said tongue in cheek..there is a lot of truth in what I (we) are saying....ah well...being politicaly correct has never been my forte..and if the truth causes someones nose to be put outta joint..so be it...as the saying goes "I WILL REMEMBER"
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2004, 03:43:08 pm »

Steve (and all non-Quebecers) have every right to be angry.  Quebec exists solely because of Alberta & Ontario, by means of Equalization payments that are anything but equal.  Since Quebec pays nothing and gets back a veritable fortune.  So long as the house of commons has a bunch of Quebecers in positions of power, this will never change.  And this will cause Canada to break-up and it will exist like the EU - 5 nations sharing common services.  It will happen by 2010...just watch....

Other solution if Canada wants to remain united: kick Quebec out.  Plain and simple.  And Canada's future will not be decided in Quebec City, but rather by the two provinces that write the cheques.

But I digress.

So yeah, I guess the Queen remains the decent choice for the $20, for now.

Marc :)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2004, 09:56:20 pm »

Quebec has done nothing but cause trouble for canada, threatening to seperate, blah, blah, blah, if you don't give us what we want, we'll seperate, and it goes on like this. I am disgusted at how the Canadian government hasn't put their foot down, and instead lying on its knees to Quebec. They only live off other provinces. Quebec shouldn't have to be voted by themselves to seperate, they should just be kicked out. I really appreciate the HM on the $20. Case closed, no changing the prime ministers. I don't like to hear garbage about who should be on the bills, such as Borden being useless, (he led the country thru WW I), even though I didn't like King, he still had a purpose to this country. Marc, don't you live in Montreal?  :) I don't mean to offend anyone.
jonathan
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2004, 10:53:46 pm »

Here's my II cent's worth...

If something ever happens to Her Majesty the Queen, due to illness, or whatever cause, I think that the Heir to the Throne - whether it be "future" King Charles or King William, whoever will be the  reigning monarch - should be placed on a future $20 series when Her Majesty the Queen passes on.  I believe I have discussed this in the section titled "New Journey $50 Note" some time ago.

Anybody on the forum is welcome to express their views regarding this and any other posting on this thread.   :)

Later!  Jonathan  ;)

All together now...  God Save The Queen!  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 10:56:01 pm by jonathan »
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2004, 11:27:10 pm »

Yes I'm a lifetime Montrealer and I find it incredible that this city stays on its feet being in a sea of Quebec self-centered nationalism.  Montreal would prosper much better on its own in a new province or as part of Ontario.  Anything is possible. Who knows what the future holds.  

What I am FED-UP with, are the Quebecois self-centered nationalists and the appeasing cowards in Ottawa.  They've killed the dream of one big united Canada.

I am by no means in love with the monarchy.  In fact I think Canada should not have the British Crown as head of state, even though it's just ceremonial.  I'd much prefer a republic.  Why I show the Red Enslgn is because of its historical value, the symbolism, the fact that Canada fought two wars under it and it speared the growth that led to today.  Basically it's the flag that made Canada proud.....until it was hijacked by the two bad actors mentioned above.  >:(

jonathan
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2004, 11:34:56 pm »

How about the comic duo Terrance and Phillip of South Park fame in lieu of HM on a future $20?
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(NOT!)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2004, 12:13:17 am »

How about the comic duo Terrance and Phillip of South Park fame in lieu of HM on a future $20?
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(NOT!)

That was so funny..............I forgot to laugh..........that one sort of fizzled out......... ;D I don't like South Park much for its half-@$$ed humour.
Stu
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2004, 03:15:42 am »

hm-hongkong I never said that Borden accomplished nothing, I pointed-out that he's not as noteworthy (Pun unintentional) as the other Prime Ministers featured on Canada's banknotes. I brought up Pearson because he was an admired and respected statesman and Nobel laureate who devoted his life to the service of Canada. Quite a few of the things we consider as part-and-parcel of "Canadian-ness" originated during Pearson's tenure as Prime Minister. I've listened to quite a few of his speeches and they're quite stirring. As an aside to Marc, Canada fought under the Union Jack during the World Wars, not the red enseign. I think all this business about Quebec being kicked out and how Quebec runs the show ad nauseum is silly and it wasn't my intent for this post to turn in that direction - As a Canadian I find it offensive. Ironically it was a Prime Minister from Quebec and the first French-Canadian Prime Minister who carved out the province now known as Alberta... That's all I'm going to say on this matter.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 03:16:40 am by Stu »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2004, 03:36:50 pm »

Hmmm....   Not to long ago, we could have pictures of our own put on stamps,  why not on some paper money?  I'm sure most if not all of the members on this site would like to have their very own portrait on a nice crisp 20 ::) ::)

Because postage stamps are typically seen only by the sender, whoever the sender brags about them to, the mail carrier who picks up the letter, a few machines that test for correct and authentic postage and don't care what the picture is, the mail carrier who drops off the letter, the recipient and whoever the recipient shows it to.  The whole thing is typically wrapped up in a week.

A banknote has a longer lifespan and allowing hundreds of thousands of different banknotes in circulation would confuse the heck out of people not only here in Canada, but also abroad as they wonder whether or not the banknote is even real.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Steve11
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2004, 12:56:46 am »

Stamp collectors are just plain weird. I'll end it there.
jonathan
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2004, 11:01:37 pm »

Don Cherry may be a good choice for the $20....  or maybe Celine Dion, perhaps?  Governor General Adrienne Clarkson?  Hockey Player Tim Horton? (not referring to donuts)  Any other ideas?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 11:01:36 pm by jonathan »
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 08:51:34 am »

Don Cherry is an idiot.  Celine Dion makes me physically ill.  Adrienne Clarkson is far too stuck-up for her own good.

A great hockey player might be a good choice.

jonathan
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 09:39:47 pm »

...or maybe Mr. Dressup as HM's replacement portrait? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

(NOT!)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2004, 12:12:57 am »

Uh,..... yeah...... OK.   ::)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length