Author
Topic: Someone other than HM on the $20?  (Read 16196 times)
Stu
« on: October 31, 2004, 03:41:07 pm »

I'm wondering how people here would feel about seeing HM's portrait replaced with that of another on the $20? I think Pearson would be a good choice; Nobel Peace Prize winner, long-time diplomat and public servant, Prime Minister, father of the flag. If not the $20, why not take Borden off of the $100 and put Pearson on that? (Borden must be the most obscure and yawn-worthy Prime Minister on our banknotes)

Not wanting to get into a big debate about the monarchy here, just wondering how some would feel about seeing a change of face on the $20
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 11:23:32 pm »

Not Pearson.  Certainly not Trudeau, or any subsequent Prime Minister from Quebec.  I really don't know who would be worthy.

Marc :)
eyevet
  • Wiki Contributor
  • CPMS Life Member #101
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 01:21:56 am »

I think Pearson would be an excellent choice.

dfwood
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 03:13:42 am »

I think we should do what the Bank of England does. Have the Queen on the front, and a notable Canadian featured on the reverse.
Steve11
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 07:52:37 am »

Forget the Queen and all Royalty..they are to say the least non viable entities...lets put real Canadians on the notes; NOT POLITICAL people...start with Buzz Buerling..then Billy Bishop..work our way thru the Canadian VC winners, DFC, DFM, George Cross, outstanding AMATURE SPORTS figures..then .. just for the heck of it...some great Canadian inventions...err; okay the only thing that comes to mind is Insulin, Ginger Ale, and cotton candy..but its 6 in the morning...
The Original Ranman
  • Ya I know
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 12:08:12 pm »

I think the Queen should be on at least one of our notes 8)

Randy

Randy
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2004, 12:20:39 pm »

I'm fine with the status quo.  I would discourage any effort to completely remove the head of state from our currency.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Kinghaku
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2004, 09:55:57 pm »

I think they should replace everybody on all the notes with Cretien's portrait!  ;D  Wouldent that be a gas.... Maybe Kim Campbell on the 100... what do you guys think?
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2004, 11:43:06 pm »

I think they should replace everybody on all the notes with Cretien's portrait!  ;D  Wouldent that be a gas.... Maybe Kim Campbell on the 100... what do you guys think?

That would probably make me leave Canada. lol.

Jason
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2004, 12:23:42 am »

I would not remove Borden from the $100.  He was an important PM who led Canada through World War I and then fought hard to ensure that Canada was internationally recognized for her contributions in war AND in peace.

Personally, I'm fine with the Queen on the $20, but if they had to make A change, she'd be the one I'd see go, before any CANADIAN Prime Minister.

(Besides, I can't think of a PM who is strong enough to bump the Queen from the banknotes, except for the four who already have their own.)
canada-hongkong
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2004, 12:35:30 am »

That would probably make me leave Canada. lol.

lol, why? Its just paper money. I can see youa re proud of Canada, just like I am. I also agree your avatar is the real Canadian flag, and I have my reasons, such as it was the flag our wonderful veterans fought under, and it represents our ties to the british commonwealth.
Marc
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2004, 08:44:14 am »

My beef is that seeing any prime minister from Pearson onwards would make me sick.  After that, they were all from Quebec and they sold Canada down the river to placate Quebec.  Pearson got that ball rolling by allowing Quebec to opt out of the Canada pension plan.  Same for changing the flag, I'm certain that was done to please Quebec....after all, how do you build a nation when one province sees the National banner as a reminder of the British Conquest of 1759.  Quebec has been at odds with Canada since July 1, 1867.  But I digress.

Anyways, just some insight.

Always remember your history. ;)

Stu
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2004, 10:18:59 pm »

OT: The "Red Enseign" was never Canada's official flag. For close to 100 years Canada had a confusing situation in which more than one flag was used as the de-facto flag of Canada, for example some predecessors of the final Red Enseign were used in some situations, while the Union Jack was being used in others. Apparently none of the flags were vexillology correct, nor were they easily identifiable, distinguished or recognized as Canadian. Debate had been simmering at various points since the 1920's but in typical Canadian fashion nobody really did anything about it. I believe that Pearson's reasonings were that Canada was no longer a colony and her troops should never be mistaken for that of another on a battlefield. (The fact that Egyptians assumed that Pearson was naturally merely acting by proxy on the U.K.'s behalf during the Suez crisis probably had something to do with it)

« Last Edit: November 02, 2004, 10:33:53 pm by Stu »
Jason
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2004, 12:08:02 am »

Interesting history lesson, Stu!  I knew some of the flag story, but I liked the point you brought up about the indistinctiveness of the Ensign.
Steve11
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2004, 04:13:21 am »

Would Rick Hansen (sic) or Terry Fox, Steve Fonyo (sic); etc qualify under sports? How about lets just  cave in now (as you know the govt will) and put every Quebecer that ever lived on the banknotes.....would happen that way anyway..so if we are (at some point) going to change the figures..might as well cave to the inevitable right now...oh..that and Leftwingleaningliberalizedfeminatzigranolacrunchingbierkienstockwearinggumbyloving LYING LIBERALS!!!

Login with username, password and session length