Author
Topic: Big B in BG* Prefixes?  (Read 46545 times)
jonathan
« on: December 09, 2004, 11:38:50 pm »

I remember back in the early 1990's, after the BBP's were issued, I remember seeing some serial numbers on $2 notes with a large B on one side of the prefix and a small B on the other side.  These prefixes were in the BG* series.  Some examples of these include BGJ through BGR, maybe a little higher.  I remember having BGJ, BGM, BGP, maybe BGR with the big B on one side.  A strong majority of those prefixes had a small B on both sides.

If anybody has any prefixes in the BG*'s with a small B and a large B on each side, or a large B on both sides of the serial number, please post any new finds on this topic.   :)

Happy Hunting!  :)

Jonathan  ;)
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2004, 12:40:47 am »

What two sides are there on a prefix such as BGM?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no "Large B/Small B" varieties on the BGx series.  If you have examples of what you're trying to refer to, please post a scan so that everyone else can have some clue as to what you're talking about.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 10:13:25 pm »

Hi collectors,

I would like to discuss about a thinks on some prefix $2 1986 I found.  When the prefix BBA to BBP was printed they got large B and in BBP prefix they changed it into a small B.  But later in other prefix the series BG? I found in BGJ and BJP (its collectors give me the information for the BJP). Some collectors found a large B at left or right or both side.  I got a BGJ with large B both side and another BGJ large B at the right side.  They are circulated but I'm sure no dealer are interested about that and when I go to the next show I'll check in the inventory and I hope I'll found some uncirculated.  Do you think in future this "error" are taking value and did the charlton catalogue going to insert this variety in the catalogue?  What are the prefix who the people found this "error"?  ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 10:14:24 pm by cbeaulieu »
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 10:16:43 pm »

Hi collectors,
This is my other scan of my second $2 with only one large B.
:-/
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 11:07:33 pm »

I suppose I stand corrected.

It seems that evidently there is a changeover in BGJ.  In the interests of narrowing down this changeover, I'll make a list with the new information.

In fact, I think what I might do is consolidate the BBP/BBX and BGJ lists into one, and simply keep the two numbers that are closest to the perceived changeover.  Before I make this change, I'll leave an opportunity for comments now.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 11:39:33 pm »

I checked my pile of circulated $2 spenders and found BGJ 3226048, lowering the Big B low just a hair.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
jonathan
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 11:48:09 pm »

If anybody on the forum has any other BG* $2 prefixes with one or two "large B's" in them, is it possible to provide a scan of the serial number?  

Also, on February 27, 2005, Cbeaulieu wrote:
...I found in BGJ and BJP (its collectors give me the information for the BJP).  

:o  You mean to say that there are reports of the $100 prefix BJP with the big B variety?!   :o  Or do you mean BGP?   ??? Some people get confused with their J's and G's sometimes!    ::)

By the way, nice 2-digit radar that BGJ 1117111...   ::)

Bye Fore For Now  ;D , Jonathan  ;)
bluenoser
  • Canada's Ocean Playground!
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2005, 03:28:17 pm »

I have the complete BG series and the only one I have with the 2 different size B's is the BGJ prefix. Small on the left and large on the right
BGJ 2074207
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:28:37 pm by bluenoser »
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 12:38:36 am »

Hi collectors,
                   I think this new kind of"error"will be in the next Charleton catalogue and after that all the people will check in the 2$ 1986 stock if they found it!I went to nuphilex show this week end at Mtl and I checked all the dealers 2$ stock,I can confirm no dealer take attention of that.A dealer have two shoes box full of 2$1986 it take 1 hour and half to past throw(the grade of the 2$ are between UNC and EF).I founded BBP prefix large B and small B in uncirculation condition and the dealer did not suspect they were more expensive than the regular one,I paid 20$ for the both 2$. And I founded BGJ with large B at the right side(AU) and I think that I found a new prefix with large B who nobody talk about their existence in this prefix. Two BGL in sequense in AU condition with large B at the right side. I think it's gone a be the same things for the 20$ without back plate number and some variety was more scarce than the others.Take advace before they will be listed because you'll gone a pay more than now. I appreciate if other collectors will communicate his discovery.I will thanks the CPMS menber BWJM who put my discovery in his topic. ;D
See the next topic for the scan.
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 12:47:44 am »

This is the scan.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2005, 12:49:04 am by cbeaulieu »
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 12:55:30 pm »

Are there BGL notes with two small Bs?  or are they all large Bs (on the left)?

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
jonathan
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 07:18:40 pm »

Yes, I am pretty certain that there are BGL notes with two small B's.  In fact, to the best of my knowledge, there are some BGJ notes with two small B's (just comes from almost 23 years of experience observing serial numbers on Canadian banknotes ;D).

If anybody has any BGJ or BGL notes with two small B's, could you please post a scan of the note?  :)

Thanks, Jonathan  ;)
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 08:07:46 pm »

Hi collectors,
                  I found two 2$ in sequence with the prefix BGL without large ''B''.The serial number are:BGL9897758 and 9897759.If anyone have information,let it know to help us to find the range of the variety of large ''B''????When it begin,when it finish???
             Thank you all!!
                                        Claude
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2005, 01:01:07 pm »

Hi,
   I found this banknote on e-bay and it have two small ''B''.The higher serial number in BGJ with large ''B'' it's 3665052 and this the serial number without large ''B'' 5717996,the difference it's 2052944.Where the range of large ''B'' finish?Between BGJ3665052 and BGJ5717996.If you have other information let me.Thank you.
                          Claude
Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 05:31:52 pm »

Hi collectors,
                  This is my last discovery about large ''B'' in the prefix BGJ.In the past I let information about the prefix I found:

BGJ1117111  two large''B''
                                    BGJ3665052  one large ''B''(right)
 This is the two new large ''B'' I found in the show this week-end at Mtl.(Nuphilex):
                                    BGJ0004138  one large ''B''(right)
                                    BGJ0845290  one large ''B''(right)

The dealer do not take attention about this variety and he sold me this notes like a regular one.A c.p.m.s. member have:

BGJ0806468 one large ''B''(right)
                                    BGJ2074207 one large ''B''(right)

This prefix with one large ''B''.are only at the right??? :-/
And the large ''B'' at the left was seen only on BGL and BGP prefix??? :-?

I have a list about the BG? prefix without large ''B'' I found at different show or on e-bay or with other collectors on this site since one year.If someone have information or discovery to let us know about this variety it will be apreciated.Specially me. ;)

You can contact me by e-mail:cbeaulieu1@videotron.ca

Login with username, password and session length