Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59431 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #300 on: January 10, 2023, 06:46:53 pm »

January 10th finds:  Sometimes, cold calling works.

I went into a TD bank branch today; I do not have an account with TD and I thought I might justcask the teller if they had any old paper notes.

To my surprise, the teller gave me some paper journey notes.  Nothing special in this lot, but the fact that the teller was willing to exchange notes with a non customer is a positive development.

I withdrew some cash from my regular bank and I got a run of consecutive FZK prefix $20s.  What is interesting about this consecutive run is that there is one note missing from the sequence (FZK9918459 is the missing note.)

I wish I was able to see the rest of this consecutive bundle to see whether there were any other numbering anomalies like Whitenite found in his bundle of $5s recently.  A missing note in an otherwise unbroken sequence indicates to me that the sheet that contained FZK9918159 was unfit and was removed from the ream.  I am convinced that the Bank of Canada still uses insert notes; how else would they make up for spoiled notes and/or sheets?

To add to the fun, I found 6 cents in the Coinstar reject tray on my way out.  🤣

All in all, another good day.

Enjoy the pictures,
Dean

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #301 on: January 11, 2023, 11:28:21 am »

I wish I was able to see the rest of this consecutive bundle to see whether there were any other numbering anomalies like Whitenite found in his bundle of $5s recently.  A missing note in an otherwise unbroken sequence indicates to me that the sheet that contained FZK9918159 was unfit and was removed from the ream.  I am convinced that the Bank of Canada still uses insert notes; how else would they make up for spoiled notes and/or sheets?
-Were these FZK "Lane-Macklem"?

I'm a bit confused why suddenly the BoC are still inserting notes when there's gaps of notes. 1 missing note in a run like that is near perfect. I got 3 tiny runs (12-14 notes 1000 apart) in my FFK $10 batch of change-overs. Believe what you will (nothing I write will convince you otherwise) but I'm just going to paste what i wrote a week ago (its been my experience in the past 5 years):
- I took out half-bricks of 2017 & 2018 Tens & found much larger gaps than 4 notes. In fact, the numbers of the notes often jumped by thousands or tens of thousands in the serial numbers.  I missed many radars or repeaters because of the gaps. I actually found that if no gaps occurred & the numbers ran consecutively without a gap (here and there) that this was the exception (rather than the rule).  Sometimes I found 2-5 notes that seemed completely out of place too (the same prefix).  My understanding was that there may be reams removed before sorting the notes into bundles/bricks and this was the new way of things.

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #302 on: January 11, 2023, 12:36:33 pm »

-Were these FZK "Lane-Macklem"?

I'm a bit confused why suddenly the BoC are still inserting notes when there's gaps of notes. 1 missing note in a run like that is near perfect. I got 3 tiny runs (12-14 notes 1000 apart) in my FFK $10 batch of change-overs. Believe what you will (nothing I write will convince you otherwise) but I'm just going to paste what i wrote a week ago (its been my experience in the past 5 years):

Hello WTTW:

Were the half bricks that you examined original untouched Bank of Canada bundles or is it possible that the bank you got them from composed their own bundles before giving them out to the public?  Is it possible that the bundles you received had been searched by someone down the line who took out the radars before your bank received them or could the notes have been mixed up by one of the new electronic cash dispensing machines that most banks use?

Dean

walktothewater
  • Very Senior Member
  • Join the Journey
    • Notaphylic Culture
« Reply #303 on: January 11, 2023, 07:21:25 pm »

The 2017 $10 notes I searched were almost entirely from bricks. I ordered them a week in advance. Most of the time they were sealed in BoC shrink wrap but occasionally they were opened.  Every time I arrived for them the teller went back to the vault. As I wrote originally, gaps (often of 30-50, 100’s; 1000’s and even 10,000 or multiples of 10,000) were often reported in the SNDB. It was extremely frustrating because I often missed a special # (radar or repeater) due to the jumps (gaps) between the numbers. I found that the least gaps occurred with the more common prefixes like CDE, CDC and more regularly with CDA. I didn’t find the gaps quite as often when I first started to search half-bricks of the 2018 series.
When I first read about the BoC no longer using inserts that seemed to solve the mystery for me (they just printed a 6th prefix for the 50M order as was done with the 2015 Commemorative $20)

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2023, 11:37:02 am »

When I first read about the BoC no longer using inserts that seemed to solve the mystery for me (they just printed a 6th prefix for the 50M order as was done with the 2015 Commemorative $20)

Maybe this is why there is renewed interest in short run prefixes (like CDF for the 2017 $10)...The "make up" notes.   :D

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2023, 06:40:23 pm »

January 12th finds:

I stopped by my favourite bank today and the friendly teller took out the following notes for me including:

Three 1969 $20s
Seven 1979 $20s, some journey $20s and $5s
Some birds $20s and $100
And a journey $100

I even spotted a polymer $20 in the mutilated pile that had a dropped 9 in the serial number.  🤣

I picked up a bundle of brand new $20s and new $5s (prefix FZK and ING respectively) just for the heck of it, and wouldn’t you know, I got a radar, ING7281827

The teller also gave me $12 in penny rolls and twenty loose black toonies.

She even gave me the RCM $2 cardboard box that was used for the black toonies!

Another good day at the bank…

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: January 12, 2023, 06:42:27 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #306 on: January 13, 2023, 06:38:37 pm »

Friday January 13th finds:

Some people associate Friday the 13th with bad luck, but I’m not one of them!

Today, I stopped by a bank that doesn’t usually pay out and I asked for black toonie rolls.  When the teller asked how many I wanted, I said “all of them”. 

She had a bewildered look on her face and went to the vault and brought out a box with nine rolls in it.

She asked “Are you sure you want 9 rolls?  It’s $450.”

I said yes and she sold me the rolls and even gave me the RCM box.  I now have two of the original boxes!

Enjoy,

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2023, 02:42:21 pm »

January 14th finds:

While running errands today, I stopped in to one of my banks to see if they had any more black toonies.  The friendly teller obliged with four rolls of toonies plus a birds $50 and birds $10 from the mutilated pouch.  He was kind enough to give me yet another RCM labelled toonie box.

This box has the shipping date of December 1st 2022 along with the usual sticker stating not to distribute before December 7th 2022.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #308 on: January 15, 2023, 05:17:54 pm »

January 15th find:

While out and about today, I found this penny on the ground.
I’ll take any find I can get, no matter how small. :D

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #309 on: January 16, 2023, 05:24:58 pm »

January 16th: finds from New Brunswick!

My friend in New Brunswick got these notes from his bank.  Of course, I could not say no!

Nothing too special, but the highlights include two 1954 $1000s, a 1937 $1 and a counterstamped 1973 $1 (more on this note in my other thread “banknotes with a story”.)

Enjoy!

Dean

PS: on my way home, I found ten cents on the ground. 🤣

« Last Edit: January 16, 2023, 07:33:58 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #310 on: January 17, 2023, 04:34:40 pm »

January 17th finds:

I stopped by my favourite bank today looking for black toonies, but the friendly teller had some paper notes and one lonely 50 cent piece instead!  When it rains, it pours!

I am getting a lot of journey notes, a few birds notes and almost no multicolour notes these days.

The highlight today is a high numbered ARK journey $20 changeover note.

Enjoy the pics!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #311 on: January 18, 2023, 05:52:24 pm »

January 18th finds:
More black toonies and a purchase for my collection.

I stopped at one of my banks today and asked for black toonies.  The teller obliged with one roll…
I then withdrew some cash from the same transaction and asked for $10s.  The teller gave me 10 x FFL Rogers-Macklem tens.

If anybody wants black toonies, please send me a PM.  My goal is to get these commemorative coins into people’s collections at a reasonable cost.

I purchased this note and it came in the mail today…It’s a 1954 *XF replacement note that is cut out of register.  I like seeing replacement notes with irregularities such as this.  It looks like some of the ink from the right side asterisk has streaked…or it could be red pencil crayon. 

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 05:55:11 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #312 on: January 21, 2023, 06:46:04 pm »

January 20th finds:
I didn’t get around to posting my finds yesterday, but better late than never, eh?

A friendly teller gave me one lonely 1979 $20…and I got two HCM $5s in my change…both sides of the changeover!

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #313 on: January 25, 2023, 04:01:05 pm »

January 25th finds:

Paper, plastic, black toonies, pennies…and more.

My favourite bank gave me a few paper notes today plus some penny rolls.

I visited a second branch and the teller there was able to give me twenty loose black toonies, after explaining that these were all they had left.  Of course, I took them all.

From the bank machine, I received six FFL Rogers Macklem $10s.

A good day…snowy, but productive!

To make things better, I picked up a sheet of 1973 $1s that I purchased for a very reasonable price.
Enjoy,

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2023, 02:56:56 pm »

January 27th finds:
FFK $10 windfall…

I went to a bank and withdrew some $10 notes today and what should they five me?  49 FFK Rogers-Macklem FFKs!

They are in two groups; 19 consecutive and 30 consecutive.  Unfortunately, they cannot be considered uncirculated because they were dispensed from the banknote machine behind the till.  But I did ask the teller to handle them with care…😀 This was not my regular bank and the teller looked at me as though I was slightly insane for asking her not to bend or crinkle the notes.

These notes will be staying with me for the time being and are not for sale.  There is a broken ladder note in the lot as well; FFK 8654723.

On my way out of the branch, I also found a 1968 quarter on the ground…not silver, but still neat!

Enjoy,
Dean

Login with username, password and session length