Author
Topic: Dean’s finds  (Read 59558 times)
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #315 on: January 28, 2023, 03:45:18 pm »

January 28th finds:

More FFKs!

I went back to the same bank I got the FFK notes to see if I could get more.  They gave me a serious runaround today, even though it was Saturday morning and I was the only person in the branch.

Here’s what transpired:

I was waiting in line for a teller and the greeter says to me “How can I help you?”

I said “I need a large quantity of $10 bills.”

The greeter tells me to go to the bank machine to get $10s…I explain to him that I was in yesterday and I was looking for a specific prefix.  I asked him if I could buy 100 notes in a strap directly from the cash cage because I am a collector and I wanted untouched notes.

He insisted that I could get new notes from the bank machine and basically would not let me go to the teller counter.  I was a bit put off by this but I went to the ATM just to get him off of my back.  I withdrew $500 in $10s and they were all FFL prefix.  Yes, they were uncirculated, but they were not the notes I was looking for.

The greeter seemed puzzled as to why I didn’t want the notes.  He says “See?  Brand new notes!” But I calmly explained that I was looking for FFK prefix $10s.

So I went back inside and exchanged the 50 FFL notes with the teller at the counter.  I asked the teller if I could buy a bundle of new $10s from the cash cage…again, the teller says, “yes we have bundles, but you can only have bills that come out of the machine”.

Basically, he was unwilling to sell me anything from the cash cage.

I decided to salvage the situation by asking the teller to withdraw $1000 in $10s from the machine and he obliged.

Out of the 100 notes dispensed, 89 of them were Rogers-Macklem FFK notes.  The teller then told me that he could not sell me more than 100 of any denomination because that is the branch limit.  Has anybody else encountered this?

It would have been so much simpler if the greeter guy just let me go to the teller in the first place…This experience makes me even more thankful for the amazing tellers I usually deal with.  But, at the end of the day, the employees at this branch still accommodated my odd (to the non collecting public) request for specific notes and I can’t complain about that!

The FFKs I got today are in four separate consecutive groups.  See the pictures!

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 04:01:54 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #316 on: January 30, 2023, 05:43:05 pm »

Jan 30th finds:
Banknote dispenser score!

I took out $1000 in tens from the same bank that has been giving out the FFK changeovers.
The teller took 100 ten dollar notes out of the dispenser and this is what came out:
I got 9 FFK notes, 8 in sequence and one lone note.

Other highlights include:
FTU low number
FTL high number
FTH changeover
FTN changeovers
A birthday note, 1974019…Jan 9, 1974
FFE changeovers
And the best of all, a three digit radar note!

Not bad for a cash dispenser withdrawal, eh?

Dean

« Last Edit: January 30, 2023, 05:55:14 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2023, 10:59:58 pm »

February 2nd:  my newest acquisition (and a few $2s).

I bought a 1900 $4 note and it arrived in the mail!  I also stopped by the bank on my way home and the teller gave me five $2 notes.

Enjoy,

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #318 on: February 04, 2023, 05:04:31 pm »

Feb 4th: circulated strap of $10s.

I returned to the bank where I got the FFK notes and got $1000 more in $10s from the teller’s dispenser.

Highlights:

24 Macdonald $10s, of which I got one note from both sides of the FTN changeover and one FTV lat prefix note.

32 new FFA prefix notes
Four 2017 commemoratives
And four Rogers/ Macklem FFK notes.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #319 on: February 04, 2023, 05:56:09 pm »

February 4th purchases part 1:

I had the chance to purchase a bulk lot of 224 Centennial $1 with no serial number.  The seller painstakingly put each note into a plastic sleeve…most are AU/UNC, but a handful show signs of circulation.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #320 on: February 04, 2023, 06:06:14 pm »

February 4th purchases part 2:

The other package that arrived for me was a sheet of $1 notes (plus a pane of 4).

I suspect that the person I bought it from was a “sheet butcher” who cut up the original sheets into pairs or 4s…

Look at the shoddy cutting job on the 4 notes…complete with Scotch tape repair.😢

Unfortunately, the full sheet has two torn edges…😢

Prefix ECR for the small sheet of 4, and prefix BFK for the large sheet of 40.

Perhaps the coolest feature was not the notes themselves but thr original Bank of Canada issued tube and label from 1989!

Look at the label…it has the serial number 211216 in red numbers and somebody blacked out “4000 notes/billets” under the serial number on the label.  These labels were undoubtedly originally meant for bricks of new $1s at the time of issue.  Also notice the red end caps on the tube; the other tubes of $1s that I own all have blue caps.  Does anybody else have a red capped tube?

Does anybody know if new notes came in larger bricks of 4000 notes back then or was this label meant for something else?
I got these items at a very reasonable price, so damaged or not, I can’t complain.

Enjoy,
Dean

« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 06:08:43 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #321 on: February 06, 2023, 08:10:41 pm »

February 6th purchase and bank finds:

I purchased this test token for my collection.  It is dated 2006; I like it because it has the maple twig that was on the penny.  On the other side, it has the RCM logo and Royal Canadian Mint/monnaie royale canadienne.

The token has the same diameter as a loonie.  I can’t find an entry for it in the Charlton Catalogue; could it be a 50 cent test token?

I stopped by my bank today and the teller had two 1973 $1 notes for me.

Enjoy,

Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #322 on: February 06, 2023, 08:26:31 pm »

February 6th $10 bank strap search:

My friend from New Brunswick sent me two Bank of Canada banded straps of $10 notes.
They are prefix FFE, Wilkins-Macklem.

Nothing spectacular in the first bundle…the usual missing notes, but no notes out of place…
The second bundle started out as more of the same…until I found a 4 digit radar note, FFE9354539!

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #323 on: February 07, 2023, 07:57:36 pm »

February 7th finds:

Lots of paper…

One of my regular banks gave me a big batch of paper money, mostly multicolour $10s and $20s.
Nothing too special, but there are a couple of nicer $20s and $10s in the lot.  Quite a few are Lawson Bouey EE— series, but sadly, there are no EET good over notes.  The $2s look like they were hit by anti theft dye or something. :D

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2023, 05:07:33 pm »

February 9th finds:

I stopped by another one of my banks on the way home today and the teller gave me some journey notes.
Nothing special here…these notes will likely be returned after I enter the data into the SNDB.

Enjoy,
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #325 on: February 10, 2023, 08:10:36 pm »

February 10th finds:  “X” marks the spot!

I stopped by one of my banks today and the friendly teller said that she had no mutilated bills for me.  Undeterred, I went to another one of my regular banks down the road to try again.

Luckily, the teller said that he had some ones and twos saved for me.

42 circulated $1s…many in the”B” series (All big “B”s…) but look closely…one of the notes is a BAX replacement!

The twos are unremarkable, but there is one birds $2 in nice shape.

It’s amazing that after 30 plus years, one can still find these notes at the banks.  There are still millions of $1s and $2s out there and you can find them if you know where and how to look for them!

Enjoy!
Dean

« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 08:12:18 pm by Dean »

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #326 on: February 10, 2023, 08:24:17 pm »

February 10th mail call!

I purchased this 1900 shinplaster for my collection because the front was printed out of register with respect to the back.

Enjoy!
Dean

Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #327 on: February 13, 2023, 08:00:55 pm »

February 13th finds:

Holy birds $100s, Batman! (And some journey $20s too…)

I stopped by the bank to make a cash withdrawal today.  I usually see my teller contact at the cash cage but she was not there.  I went to one of the other tellers to get my cash and my teller contact comes out of the safe and waves me over.  She was busy at the end of the day, but she still took the time to show me a strap of 100 birds $100s that somebody brought and cashed in today!

The teller told me that I was lucky to come by because she was going to send them out—whenever they get 100 of any denomination, they send the bundle out.

So, the teller let me look quickly through the bundle…

I managed to save 32 $100 notes, all of which are in the BJ—prefix (sorry Claude, all of the $100s were the 2 small “B” variety😢)

All of the notes are EF-AU…I wish I could take more, but my budget and the limited time I had to search prevented me from taking the whole stack.

The highlight was an AJX replacement note!

There were also some runs of journey $100s, but I could not afford to take those.  😢

It looks to me like an estate distribution or just somebody who put some money away for a rainy day.

Enjoy!
Dean

It is amazing what you can still find at the bank…

« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 08:05:57 pm by Dean »

Cbeaulieu
  • Wiki Contributor
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2023, 12:05:24 am »

Hi Dean,
Thanks a lot for the attention you take for me it's apreciate  ;)
Claude
Dean
  • Very Senior Member
  • GO LEAFS GO!
« Reply #329 on: February 16, 2023, 05:59:45 pm »

February 16th finds:  two banks, two scores…

I stopped by three different banks on my way home today.  The first bank gave me an UNC journey $50 and $100 as well as 30 pennies.

The second bank gave me two multicoloured $50s and a birds $50…

And the third bank gave me no banknotes, but I did leave with a valuable bit of information: to visit on Tuesdays because they ship out their mutilated notes every Wednesday.

Enjoy,
Dean

Login with username, password and session length