Author
Topic: Charlton Catalogue and XXI century.  (Read 26265 times)
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2005, 03:12:34 pm »

No apology necessary,

To clear the air you may want to point out who and where it was 'accused or implied that Chuck has done little to assist the paper money society in its quest for improvements in things like the Charlton Catalogue.'

I missed that accusation and implication and have been unable to locate it.

Also is there a financial snapshot available of the current status of the CPMS I can have a look at to better understand the need?

Troy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 03:29:49 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
  • CPMS member 1221, ONA life member, CAND President
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2005, 04:28:41 pm »

Bitburger wrote today:
Quote:Charlton Catalogue has not changed enough during the following years. the way we are collecting paper money has been developed with Internet and If Charlton does not take another "Modern" way for his Catalogue,  

That's exactly what one forum member here, also a long time CPMS member & Contributor, has suggested to Charlton's board, thru Bob, over the past year along with other constructive ideas.  

Hopefully with Chuck Moore retiring the chair, the incoming President would like to take some action, rather than making the usual respond of "Under consideration"?  

No apology was given for your lack of looking up the quote above.

Have a nice day?

::)

Rick

TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2005, 04:43:12 pm »

I am much more sympathetic now on your defense of Chuck now after seeing this text you pasted, my sincere apologies. I assume what you copied and pasted exists in the thread somehere.  I must confess I originally went back looking for it and didn't see it.

I don't see the shortcomings as any one persons fault either (but I haven't been on the inside), markets evolve and so must the approach, it is that simple.

Having said that I strongly disagree with your conclusion that we have all the right expertise in place to address the next phase of the markets growth. I do however believe the market possesses the expertise, it just isn't being utilized to it's maximum benefit, if hardly at all; to do this the expertise must be distributed correctly and new processes put in place and existing ones improved.

In short I believe the issue is one of both deployment of expertise in tune with changing market dynamics combined with the problem of some out-dated or non existent processes.

Troy.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 05:01:18 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2005, 06:36:47 pm »

Your turn, Troy.
Translate that into English. Your strongly disagree with what?
I run an association of professional dealers, run a coin show and do the trends in CCN. I have been a member of most everything for many years, and even took a stab at writing about numismatics.

Paper is one small part of Canadian numismatics. Repeat, it is a small part, not the major part. I don't submit information to Charlton's book information as it is a conflict of interest for me.

Overall, I feel the book is pretty good. Prices always need adjustments about 3 hours after it is published, but the prices are current when written.

There are many good people that contribute to the book, many from this site, and most of whom I have a working knownledge.

Some new faces wouldn't hurt one bit. As I may have mentioned, write your own book or bring one on line. Best of luck to you.

Rick
TheMonetaryMan
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2005, 06:45:21 pm »

Happy to translate,

To avoid duplication please see the pricing panel thread for extended discussion on the industry not having the proper representation of the online market feeding pricing information to Charlton and a lack of process in place to address same. Without proper consideration of the online market the data has become obsolete on many key rare issues and this problem is going to get worse, fast. The online market is producing sales of notes where no or less sales data exists in the B&M world.  There is a discussion currently underway and self-evident acknowledgement in the pricing panel thread on how to remedy this problem, one member of the panel made the suggestion of at a minimum online sellers could report results to Bob Graham. To get even to this stage of acknowledgement took considerable time and effort swatting flies away along the way and several failed attempts to shut the thread down before it became clear that it was very far away indeed from being "totally stupid".  In fact some my concerns were shared by Don O himself re his attempt to remedy the stale dated pricing concern and his suggestion on how to begin addressing reporting eBay results.

I am prepared to invest magnitudes of additional effort to advance this further and work it to a conclusion as it is the markets best interest to receive the best information within reason. Pushing aside the odd defensive reaction or two along the way is extremely trivial in the big historical picture.

There is also a question about how many people are actually submitting pricing information, the suggestion is that the # is too low when compared to a couple other world class models. This concern was only increased when Rick explained that many who are asked don't submit pricing information and just put the request aside and the data never captured, this begs for increased expert redundancy.

I also have concerns (for very good reason) that the information contained in the registers as compiled by those who publish them in the CPMS newsletters is not being factored properly into pricing information by the panel. I have concerns about how efficient the sharing of information process is.

Why so many concerns?  I care a whole lot about this market and many people who are investing heavily in it and I feel a strong duty to serve it well and believe I have something to contribute.  Anyone who just dropped $5000 on a note that the guide says is worth $1000 and it is the only known example in private hands wants to know who is capturing the new market sales information and how is it being done. I am here to find answers to those questions and if the answer is 1) no one is and 2) no process is in place; I would like to help find a remedy.

And I probably have heard rumors that Paper is not the only component of numismatics after our family has dropped a few million trading coins in the last 1/4 century. Since this is a paper money forum I will leave it at that.

This will be my last post in this thread to avoid conducting the same conversation in two threads.

You can find me in the pricing panel thread if you would like to challenge or comment on any portion of this post.

Troy
« Last Edit: October 04, 2005, 10:20:14 pm by TheMonetaryMan »
rscoins
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2005, 11:03:58 pm »

Nothing to worry about, Troy. I already use a person who tracks every single ebay numismatic transaction with some fancy computer program he developed.

So, it not only can be done, it is being done right now. Fully automatic I am assured.

Rick

Login with username, password and session length