Author
Topic: Charlton Catalogue and XXI century.  (Read 26210 times)
Bitburger
  • Nach deutschem Reinheitsgebot!
« on: July 17, 2005, 03:20:42 pm »

I was very disappointed by the Charlton Catalogue this year, not because it is ugly (what I think it is), but because Charlton Catalogue has not changed enough during the following years. the way we are collecting paper money has been developed with Internet and If Charlton does not take another "Modern" way for his Catalogue, I am not sure there are going to survive still 5 years, if they don't furnish an updated Catalogue Online ( with fees and membership). Charlton should be able to fix prices according to the market every 3 months minimum. If they don't I won't be surprise in 2 or 3 years them losing to be " the reference" if Paper money collectors or coins collectors start Something else. That's what I believe. Charlton in that way dig out his own grave. We will have as Collector to wait ONE YEAR before knowing prices for important bills like BEL, BEP, BET, AZN, all new inserts FER, FEV, BEV and more, that's just not normal...
kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 05:14:17 pm »

Bitburger wrote today:
Charlton Catalogue has not changed enough during the following years. the way we are collecting paper money has been developed with Internet and If Charlton does not take another "Modern" way for his Catalogue,

That's exactly what one forum member here, also a long time CPMS member & Contributor, has suggested to Charlton's board, thru Bob, over the past year along with other constructive ideas.  

Hopefully with Chuck Moore retiring the chair, the incoming President would like to take some action, rather than making the usual respond of "Under consideration"?

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2005, 06:27:35 pm »

Bitburger, I heartily agree with you...

I've often wondered why Charlton's doesn't go online.  Most of the information about banknote series prior to the current series remains more or less static year over year - virtually only the prices change in their annual editions.

I would love to be able to subscribe to "Charlton's Online" and simply pay an annual fee and then be able to log in to look up information (which would hopefully be updated at least quarterly rather than annually).  The website could also have a feature that lets you pull a pdf version of the catalogue so that you can also print off a hard copy if you want one.

For those collectors who are not "wired" or don't have computers at home, Charlton's could do like my bank does:

We have our "bible" - our "Policies & Procedures" manual - that employees refer to.  Rather than killing forests of trees issuing entire manuals each year, the manual exists in a three-ring binder format and as updates are necessary, we simply replace only those pages that have changed.

Like the online counterpart of the catalogue, the loose-leaf packages could also be put out on a quarterly basis, where you can either buy the update packages from a coin dealer, or you can subscribe for paper-based updates as you would a TV Guide subscription - pay an annual fee and then Charlton's mails the updates to you.

kobecurrency
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2005, 07:24:07 pm »

That's some very good suggestions, venga 50.

We were given to understand that in fact, the ideas mentioned above, among other suggestions, have been proposed & tabled over the past years.  

Even the outgoing chair has reportedly had some discussions with an active Administration of our forum, but looks like no final decisions have been make to this point....

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2005, 07:29:29 pm »

I've often wondered why Charlton's doesn't go online.
[...]
I would love to be able to subscribe to "Charlton's Online" and simply pay an annual fee and then be able to log in to look up information (which would hopefully be updated at least quarterly rather than annually).  The website could also have a feature that lets you pull a pdf version of the catalogue so that you can also print off a hard copy if you want one.
The idea has been under consideration by the Charlton Press for several months, according to a very reliable, but unnamed source.
Rather than killing forests of trees issuing entire manuals each year, the manual exists in a three-ring binder format and as updates are necessary, we simply replace only those pages that have changed.
The main problem here is that nearly every page has some change made due to the pricing.

Rest assured, the publisher is aware of the issues at hand and they are considering many options.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Life Member of CPMS, RCNA, ONA, ANA, IBNS, WCS.
President, IBNS Ontario Chapter.
Treasurer, Waterloo Coin Society.
Show Chair, Cambridge Coin Show.
Fellow of the Ontario Numismatic Association.
Don_D
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2005, 01:30:53 pm »

Brente,
   Since you are, we assume, speaking on behalf of the Charlton's, could you share with us more regarding its conderation on this project ?
Don
BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2005, 02:19:31 pm »

No, I am not speaking on behalf of Charltons and I make no attempt to. I am merely rephrasing what has been hinted to me from a reliable source. I know no more than what I have said.

Unless I specifically say otherwise, all comments should be interpreted as my own opinions and never being said on behalf of any third party. I do not work for Charltons, nor am I a representative of them.

You know what they say about when you assume....

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
Don_D
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2005, 06:18:33 pm »

yet, we are asked to rest assured, by whom ?
you mean assume authority ?
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2005, 07:04:13 pm »

Naw, this is something I saw in a Benny Hill episode.  The saying is "when you assume, you make an ass out of u and me" [as he says this, in the word "assume" he has written on a blackboard, Benny circles the ass, then the u and then the me].

But in a recent Becker episode, the saying gets muddled up on purpose, and the receptionist [Linda, if you know this show] says "when you assume, you make an ass out of me".

You decide which version BWJM meant (unless of course there is a third version I don't know about and BWJM meant something else  ;))

Cheers,
venga50.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2005, 01:02:26 am »

Well, if you really desire to get technical about it, let's say that *I* *suggested* that you rest assured based on the hints that I have paraphrased to you.
Regarding assuming anything, see venga50's post (the first part). In essence, when you make an assumption about something, you are setting yourself up for a problem. Here, you assumed that I was speaking on behalf of Charltons, which I was not. There was no reason to make such an assumption because I clearly stated in my post "according to a very reliable, but unnamed source." Going even further, you cannot reasonably assume that this source is speaking on behalf of Charltons. The most you can assume is that he or she has some sort of inside knowledge. (This, by the way, is not necessarily the case).

Lesson: don't make assumptions.

Jeez, everybody always overreacts to any little thing that gets said here. What happens if I go "Boo!"? Is someone going to file a complaint that I caused them undue mental anguish?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2005, 01:03:51 am by BWJM »

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2005, 04:01:28 pm »

[...]Jeez, everybody always overreacts to any little thing that gets said here. What happens if I go "Boo!"? Is someone going to file a complaint that I caused them undue mental anguish?

Actually, by your very typing of the word, one could argue that you did indeed go "Boo!".  You will be hearing from my lawyer shortly... ;) ;D

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2005, 09:08:07 pm »

Actually, by your very typing of the word, one could argue that you did indeed go "Boo!".  You will be hearing from my lawyer shortly... ;) ;D
Somebody get him out of here... ::) ::) ;)

BWJM, F.O.N.A.
venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2005, 09:52:05 pm »

Somebody get him out of here... ::) ::) ;)

I'd be very careful if I were you, monsieur.  However I may yet be persuaded to accept an out-of-court settlement: tell me how much an UNC 1972 $5 in either signature is going for in Charlton's 18th ed., and I'll forget the trauma your "Boo!"-ing has caused me.

Now, if you had said "BOO!" instead of "Boo!" you would surely have been doomed...I had hired Bitburger to represent me, and your diplomatic immunity in 46 countries (including Puerto Rico) would have been to no avail!  We also would have had you prosecuted for providing sanctuary to a heinous criminal unparalleled in the annals of crime for his ruthless defacement of paper money.

Ah, what the hell...

[size=8] :oBOO!!!:o[/size]

There, now we're even 8)

venga50
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2005, 10:06:23 pm »

OK, I'll shut up now and get back on topic...

BWJM, you said that the loose-leaf binder idea couldn't work because
The main problem here is that nearly every page has some change made due to the pricing.

This occurred to me as I was proposing the idea and nearly prevented me from suggesting it...but could the prices not be arranged in the binder such that all of the prices are isolated into a continuous tabulated list and cross-referenced to the body of the catalogue?

Anyway, I don't care much about having a binder version; I would much prefer the online option.

BWJM
  • Very Senior Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 01:04:33 am »

could the prices not be arranged in the binder such that all of the prices are isolated into a continuous tabulated list and cross-referenced to the body of the catalogue?

This occurred to me as I was proposing the idea and nearly prevented me from suggesting it... ;D

Short answer: yes.

BWJM, F.O.N.A.

Login with username, password and session length